Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Paramount track: here's another!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 06:15 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE...item25684550d7
Old 10-12-11, 06:32 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this line in the description:

The best estimate was that this was built in the early to mid to late 1940's.

Um, yeah, OK!
Old 10-13-11, 04:51 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wouldn't mind owning an early Paramount, but I'd much rather have a Pop Brennan. A relatively few guys have basically cornered that market, however, led by Jeff Groman.
Old 10-13-11, 08:35 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 753proguy
The best estimate was that this was built in the early to mid to late 1940's.
Apparently there were differences in the frames as they evolved over time, which does help date them to a period. Mine was dated to the 50s. I was told they started over every year with the serial numbers, which makes them useless for dating. Mine is I912 for what its worth. Like the one on ebay it also has no headbadge, or holes for one. Jeff Groman seems to be the expert in such matters.

I find it interesting that the Waterford paint job (though beautiful) on Scooper's is much fancier (even given the modern materials) than the originals.

Last edited by dbakl; 10-13-11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 07:34 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Apparently there were differences in the frames as they evolved over time, which does help date them to a period. Mine was dated to the 50s. I was told they started over every year with the serial numbers, which makes them useless for dating. Mine is I912 for what its worth. Like the one on ebay it also has no headbadge, or holes for one. Jeff Groman seems to be the expert in such matters.
The serial numbers are somewhat confusing, but Tam Phan (Terminaut) has made some sense of the early Paramount serial numbers in his registry HERE (s/n A854 is listed on page 2 as "1939+", and the s/n of mine is A853).

I find it interesting that the Waterford paint job (though beautiful) on Scooper's is much fancier (even given the modern materials) than the originals.
I dunno. Here's the Paramount in Schwinn's 1940 consumer catalog. The paint scheme is very similar to the scheme Waterford applied to mine.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-13-11, 09:34 PM
dbakl

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
I dunno. Here's the Paramount in Schwinn's 1940 consumer catalog. The paint scheme is very similar to the scheme Waterford applied to mine.
I wasn't dissing yours, its very well done, and beautiful. The decals seem fancier; the originals look like a basic paint job with some waterslides slapped on. The modern clear makes them look much slicker than I think they must have originally.

I pulled my frame out, I'll try and shoot some pics tomorrow. Serial number 1912 doesn't even appear on the list.

#336 from the ebay ad would place it in the early 50s according to that list.
Old 10-13-11, 10:58 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I wasn't dissing yours, its very well done, and beautiful. The decals seem fancier; the originals look like a basic paint job with some waterslides slapped on. The modern clear makes them look much slicker than I think they must have originally.

I pulled my frame out, I'll try and shoot some pics tomorrow. Serial number 1912 doesn't even appear on the list.

#336 from the ebay ad would place it in the early 50s according to that list.
I know you weren't being critical; I took it as a compliment, and I agree that modern clear over the decals is vastly superior to the original unprotected waterslides in both appearance and durability.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-14-11, 10:30 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was told they started over every year with the serial numbers, which makes them useless for dating.
I think we saw evidence of that with #432 being used on two different bikes.

Bob
Old 10-14-11, 11:45 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Sometimes I wish I was an American so I could rightfully own a Paramount. I would love to have one but it just doesn't seem right for an Australian to have one.
Old 10-14-11, 11:48 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I say go for it Gary!
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 10-14-11, 12:13 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Sometimes I wish I was an American so I could rightfully own a Paramount. I would love to have one but it just doesn't seem right for an Australian to have one.
Hogwash! Every Aussie I know is good people. Hell, even the Tasmanian I know is an alright guy. It's no less proper for you to own a Paramount than it is for me to put pickled beet on my burger. And I do!
Old 10-14-11, 12:42 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Gary -- I'm sure there are quite a few old Malvern Five Stars floating around the USA. I think you owe it to your country to try and balance any trade deficit with a Schwinn Paramount (just don't get one that is cheap and my size).

Bob
Old 10-14-11, 07:26 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Colonel - you sir, should come with a warning - laughter ahead! And yeah, Tasmanians can be 'alright' and I would eat a burger with you any day.

norskagent and BobHufford, Thanks for your encouragement re Paramount ownership. Over the years I have been a member of this forum I have seen many fine Schwinn Paramounts and have come to think of them like Aussies are bought up to revere the Malvern Star - 5 star. To me, the Paramounts are the definitive American racing bicycle. How do you guys think of them?

I am always drawn to threads where 'Paramount' is mentioned and my knowledge is growing post by post. I still cant see myself owning one as a forigner - they just 'feel' like they are 'as American as apple pie' and should remain in American hands.