Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lance can not catch a break

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 07:30 PM
oilman_15106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today Dick's Sporting Goods partially blamed Lance Armstrong for their poor quarterly earnings.

They said the folks were not buying the Livestrong branded exercise equipment. Livestrong or not I am not spending $1000 on an exercise bike that I can not affix my own Fizik seat to.
Old 03-12-13, 08:06 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Read a while back that these Livestrong bikes were overpriced and under-performing. No doubts that the Livestrong brand accounted for a few sales, though.
Old 03-12-13, 08:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Today Dick's Sporting Goods partially blamed Lance Armstrong for their poor quarterly earnings.
It's hard to know where to start on a statement like that.
Old 03-12-13, 08:53 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't care one way or the other about Dick's Sporting Goods, but Lance doesn't deserve a break. I appreciate what he's done, and my brother survived the same type of cancer he had. But eff 'im.
Old 03-12-13, 08:59 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Does not deserve a break.
Old 03-13-13, 01:22 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Come on, now everyone down at Dick's knew Lance was dopin'. Just like the housing market, they thought the boom would last forever. Live by Armstrong, die by Armstrong.

Just like Dick's figured this winter would be like the last one, mild. So they didn't bother ordering winter stuff. Turned out to be one of the coldest winters locals can remember, and Dick's was out in the cold with sales for that little faux pas, too. Live by the winter, die by the winter.

Actually, I'd say it's Dick's that can't catch a break.
Old 03-13-13, 02:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Imagine how one of the DVD online sellers over here is feeling right now--He has 7,000 Lance Armstrong DVD's to shift that he paid a fortune for from Livestrong.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-13-13, 06:14 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Let me get this straight. Of all the stuff they sell, they base their stores' profitability on one or two pieces of equipment? Did they change their name to "Livestrong's" and I just didn't hear about it???
Old 03-13-13, 06:46 AM
FMB42

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I no longer admire L.A. I do hope that he straightens his life out, but let's face it; he defines some of the worst that professional sports has to offer.

However, the stock market annalist trend of blaming or giving credit to a single entity for market fluctuations is nothing but a bunch of nonsense imo. This simplistic excuse is designed to pacify investors that are unwilling or unable to understand stock market volatility. It is also sometimes used as a scapegoat to cover-up management failures and/or inaccurate projections imo.

The good thing is that many investors ignore this nonsense.
Old 03-13-13, 06:49 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
He could always catch a break when he was doping
Old 03-13-13, 07:14 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
They're just reaching for branches. Poor performance requires an explanation (excuse), so they grab for anything they can find. That's bidness.
Old 03-13-13, 08:00 AM
GeraldH

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm always wary when some piece of equipment has a star's name on it. It doesn't mean they think it's any good - it means the manufacturer has been able to pay them $$$ for the name.

I'm looking to add a bike to the (growing) collection later this year. Everyone tells me the Trek Domane are a great bike. But. I. Just. Can't. See. Myself. Buying. A. Trek. Sorry, Trek. For me, it'll take years to disassociate your name with a certain Mr. Armstrong. If ever.
Old 03-13-13, 09:28 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I mentioned the Dick's problem (sans LA) to my fairly unknowledgeable wife this weekend. Her reply? Of course they're not going to do well. I buy you cheaper stuff at Target of the same quality, and anything you really need you order online, or if you're not too lazy, get at the LBS. Why should anyone shop at Dick's?

Indeed.

Old 03-13-13, 09:32 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldH
But. I. Just. Can't. See. Myself. Buying. A. Trek. Sorry, Trek. For me, it'll take years to disassociate your name with a certain Mr. Armstrong. If ever.
Aw...I just bought my daughter a Trek Lexa. It's a perfect bike for her, and I like my LBS, they give great service, and it's not their fault that Lance is a deceitful lying badinoff. Buy the Domaine.

Old 03-13-13, 10:25 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree Dick's is stretching with their blame of Livestrong. I also agree, at least for a while, that LA does not deserve a break. I will, however, definitely consider Trek for my next purchase. They were around before LA, and I like their product. I don't agree buying Trek products is supporting LA
Old 03-13-13, 10:41 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When are we going to stop this blaming game . doping , his fault . Made millions over the years , his fault . world economy is in the toilet , his fault . Obama won the second term . his fault . Bad weather , his fault . You get my point .
Old 03-13-13, 11:03 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldH
...I'm looking to add a bike to the (growing) collection later this year. Everyone tells me the Trek Domane are a great bike. But. I. Just. Can't. See. Myself. Buying. A. Trek. Sorry, Trek. For me, it'll take years to disassociate your name with a certain Mr. Armstrong. If ever.
A bit of off topic, but I'll offer up my impressions about a Domane test ride. The shop let me have it for as long as I wanted and ride any route I wanted, (they knew me from previous purchases). It's a really nice bike! But, toward the end of my test ride, I decided that the 'comfort' of the Domane with its 23mm tires wasn't all that different than my Pinarello after I switched it to 25mm tires. I've since gone 25mm on all my bikes, and they all ride sweet. I was offered the Domane at about a 20% discount, which is surprising as it is the first year they are being sold. Wasn't from stock either; it would be a factory order. Had to think long and hard that weekend about the decision to purchase a Domane.
Old 03-13-13, 11:46 AM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I am just reporting what Dick's had in their press release about missing their earnings estimate and their crap sales. I thought it was pretty lame to blame Lance, irrespective of how you feel about the guy.

I looked at the indoor bike Dick's offered branded Livestrong but made by ?? in China. It was about 60% overpriced and not all that great in features or quality in my opinion. You could not even put your own seat on the thing. When I pointed it out to the sales person they said "Oh never noticed that".

Maybe the headline should have read, Dick's Sporting Goods makes poor bet on Livestrong.
Old 03-13-13, 04:01 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In other news, Bicycling Magazine blames Lance Armstrong for the fact that their journalists are being forced to think of something to write about now they can no longer reference him in every second paragraph.

Last edited by Connell; 03-13-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 04:04 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I bought my Trek in the mid '80s and now I'm stereotyped
Old 03-13-13, 10:41 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
A bit of off topic, but I'll offer up my impressions about a Domane test ride. The shop let me have it for as long as I wanted and ride any route I wanted, (they knew me from previous purchases). It's a really nice bike! But, toward the end of my test ride, I decided that the 'comfort' of the Domane with its 23mm tires wasn't all that different than my Pinarello after I switched it to 25mm tires. I've since gone 25mm on all my bikes, and they all ride sweet. I was offered the Domane at about a 20% discount, which is surprising as it is the first year they are being sold. Wasn't from stock either; it would be a factory order. Had to think long and hard that weekend about the decision to purchase a Domane.

But how well would the Domane have rode if it had 25 mm size tires
Old 03-13-13, 11:10 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
When are we going to stop this blaming game . doping , his fault . Made millions over the years , his fault . world economy is in the toilet , his fault . Obama won the second term . his fault . Bad weather , his fault . You get my point .
Power outage, definitely his fault.
Old 03-14-13, 06:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
In other news, Bicycling Magazine blames Lance Armstrong for the fact that their journalists are being forced to think of something to write about now they can no longer reference him in every second paragraph.
WHAT??? BUYCYCLING MAGAZINE EMPLOYS WRITERS??? Why didn't anybody tell me this earlier????

Old 03-14-13, 08:46 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
Whut??? The recent doping revelations have given them more grist for the mill than anything in the history of cycling.
Old 03-14-13, 11:53 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ashamed that we have the same initials

LA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.