Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which tire?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 08:15 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
So you want high end performance from the low end tire? Doesn't really make any sense that you are dismissing Continental through this reasoning. Get some GP4000's for $35 for goodness sake.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Gatoskins aren't low end tires.
Gatorskins are on the lower end of performance with respect to rolling resistance. The link states 7+ watts higher resistance per tire, and rates Gatorskins 3/5 versus 5/5 for the Grand Prix 4000S II. YMMV.
Old 03-11-17, 08:28 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Gatorskins are on the lower end of performance with respect to rolling resistance. The link states 7+ watts higher resistance per tire, and rates Gatorskins 3/5 versus 5/5 for the Grand Prix 4000S II. YMMV.
the OP was complaining about the tire's construction, not the performance.
Old 03-11-17, 11:24 AM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatoskins aren't low end tires.

Am I missing something? No they aren't but...

I don't see in the OP or the comment I stated that his Continentals were Gatorskins.

Last edited by ClydeTim; 03-11-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-11-17, 11:54 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by ClydeTim
Am I missing something? No they aren't but...

I don't see in the OP or the comment I stated that his Continentals were Gatorskins.
I was making the point that higher end tires aren't necessarily high performance tires.
Old 03-11-17, 12:06 PM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
San Pedro, I'm guessing you are talking about replacing the tires on your TCR Advanced Pro. I did the same with my Defy Advanced Pro. Replaced the Giant Gavia tubeless with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. Rolls very nice, and being tubeless they can substantially lessen the amount of punctures. However, I've only put on a hundred miles or so, therefore I can't give any info on how they are wearing.

Last edited by KenR; 03-11-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 05:29 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use and like these:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-tricomp?fltr=

S
Old 03-12-17, 07:16 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The bike I'll put the tires on is a TCR Advanced 2. I'll at least have one tubeless ready wheel when I get the bike back. When I get the marching rear wheel I'll think about tubeless tires.

This is the tire I had a bad experience with: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-sportcontact-city-road-tyre/

After that happened I read some forum posts where individuals had similar experience with GP4000 tires. (The cheap Panasonic tires I replaced them with are still on the bike 4-5 years later.) In this thread someone posted they had a friend with similar experience. I went through a bunch of reviews on wiggle, and it seems less of a problem now, but there are plenty of other nice tires.
Old 03-12-17, 09:14 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I want to get ready for when my Giant SL1 tires bite the dust and am looking at tires again.

I'm trying to decide between Vittoria Rubino Pro G+, Schwable One, Schwable Durano Race guard, Micheline PRO4 Endurance V2, and Michelin Power Endurance. I've used/using the PRO4 tire. The rear one I had only lasted 500 miles before I had a critical cut. The front one I've put around 1500 or more miles on it and it seems to be doing well with some cuts and nicks in it. I really like how the tires rode though, much better than the stock tires they replaced. The Durano that replaced it doesn't ride as nice, but has been holding up pretty well, but aren't as nice of a ride (still better than Specialized Espoir).

I mostly commute on decent roads with some debris, but no goat head thorns or anything like that. I would like a nice ride, but also don't want to be fixing a flat tire every couple weeks. I'm also thinking I would like to try some latex tubes. Inflating every morning isn't a problem, but inflating at the end of the work day too would be tiresome.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Any thoughts on these tires.
If I was commuting on that bike I'd use Conti GP 4 Season tires. I run them from the fall to spring, and have never flatted one, ever. They don't ride as nicely or as fast as the 4000s, but they're not bad; far from it. Very durable tire with a very decent ride.
Old 03-12-17, 10:28 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I commute on the gp4000ii and typically get 4 flats/yr over about 7k miles.

The roads are pretty average.
Old 03-12-17, 03:15 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by f4rrest
I commute on the gp4000ii and typically get 4 flats/yr over about 7k miles.

The roads are pretty average.
I ride the same tires, so I'm curious: what causes the flats? Pinches? Punctures? Aliens?

I flat from time to time, but it's usually not the tire's fault.
Old 03-12-17, 07:10 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
If I was commuting on that bike I'd use Conti GP 4 Season tires. I run them from the fall to spring, and have never flatted one, ever. They don't ride as nicely or as fast as the 4000s, but they're not bad; far from it. Very durable tire with a very decent ride.
I almost got them last year, but I read a couple reviews saying they don't fair well in the heat, and for about three months straight here it's over 90 degrees and very humid every day.

Lots of people on the gp4000II here. . . I'll consider them, but I'll probably go for something slightly cheaper.
Old 03-12-17, 07:19 PM
dmanthree

I almost got them last year, but I read a couple reviews saying they don't fair well in the heat, and for about three months straight here it's over 90 degrees and very humid every day.

Lots of people on the gp4000II here. . . I'll consider them, but I'll probably go for something slightly cheaper.
Not sure where that got started, but I have ridden them in the heat, before I switched to the 4000s when it gets warm. Trust me, they're fine in the heat. Not as nice as the 4000s, but a LOT more durable.
Old 03-14-17, 09:45 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How is it fixing a flat? Could I just throw a tube in if I do get a flat on the way to work?
I didn't have to "fix flat" on the road. Almost every puncture was either repaired without me noticing till when I put the bike on stand to maintain/clean (the... dried sealant) or sealed up in middle of ride. 2 times, it didn't and those were side wall cuts that I wouldn't have bothered riding with tubed tires either... (risky) One of flat that sealed up was pretty long (about 1/3 inch) and while it sealed up, I wasn't comfortable keep on riding it like that so I patched it from inside and rode the tire till it balded...
Yes you can just throw a tube in. In fact, I have a tube in my saddleback that hasn't seen it's use for last 1.5 years. Tubeless tires are a little harder to mount/dismount than some tires typically so that would be the hardest part for you on the road. After that would be the sealant to deal with (nice if you have a rag... if not... just deal with the mess). I've have 3 different tubeless wheelset and mounting and dismounting is all different. HED Ardennes was super easy (no levers needed), Reynolds Assault/Strike SLG (lever needed but not too bad), Token C50 (lever required and I would much prefer using tire jack on this one at home than on road). All using Schwalbe Pro One. They are slightly more effort than Michelin Pro 4 Service course on same rims respectively.
I do suggest carrying CO2 cartridges instead of pumps as if the tire unseated while sealing up, burst of pressure might be needed to reseat it (happens when you had to go more on big puncture and air got below 30-40 psi on some rims...)
I am so much in tubeless camp at this point that I didn't even get Zipp or Enve as they don't really offer one... till now... Waiting for Enve 3.4 which is finally tubeless ready this year.
Old 03-14-17, 10:15 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I had two seperate ride-ending, call-the-wife sidewall cuts with GP4000iis and gave up on that tire. I've used whatever the latest version of Performance's own-brand tire with bead-to-bead Kevlar for several years now. I think the latest ones are called "Forte AMR+". These tires run about $24, they're made by Maxxis, they are significantly lighter than Gatorskins and I've never had them flat (knock wood). They're also very durable, I get about 4K miles out of a rear tire.

I'm increasingly convinced with tubeless and I have a set of Schwalbe Pro Ones I'm going to install in late spring. Every other bike I have is tubeless.
Old 03-14-17, 06:00 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
the OP was complaining about the tire's construction, not the performance.
You responded to this:
high end performance from the low end tire
which is about performance, not construction.
Old 03-14-17, 06:17 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Athens80
You responded to this:
which is about performance, not construction.

Thanks for your contribution. Do you feel better now?
Old 03-14-17, 08:08 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I ride the same tires, so I'm curious: what causes the flats? Pinches? Punctures? Aliens?

I flat from time to time, but it's usually not the tire's fault.
For me, sidewall punctures as GP4k has no sidewall protection worth mentioning. Since switching to tires that do, zero punctures. My GP4K looked shredded, stupidly and frustratingly so. Clearly I am in minority, but GP4K are not every day tires for me. I rode them all along east coast MA and got flats all over. I am not a fan, and have talked to some shop owners in the area, haven't met too many fans among them either, just not that durable. Could be MA drivers are so bad (accidents), there is just too much miniscule glass here that shred GP4K.
Old 03-15-17, 07:36 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by zymphad
For me, sidewall punctures as GP4k has no sidewall protection worth mentioning. Since switching to tires that do, zero punctures. My GP4K looked shredded, stupidly and frustratingly so. Clearly I am in minority, but GP4K are not every day tires for me. I rode them all along east coast MA and got flats all over. I am not a fan, and have talked to some shop owners in the area, haven't met too many fans among them either, just not that durable. Could be MA drivers are so bad (accidents), there is just too much miniscule glass here that shred GP4K.
Curious; where in MA? I ride the northeastern section, often into NH. The roads are pretty good so I don't shred tires. However, my "off season" tire is the GP 4 Season. Never flatted one of those.
Old 03-15-17, 08:02 AM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
I didn't have to "fix flat" on the road. Almost every puncture was either repaired without me noticing till when I put the bike on stand to maintain/clean (the... dried sealant) or sealed up in middle of ride. 2 times, it didn't and those were side wall cuts that I wouldn't have bothered riding with tubed tires either... (risky) One of flat that sealed up was pretty long (about 1/3 inch) and while it sealed up, I wasn't comfortable keep on riding it like that so I patched it from inside and rode the tire till it balded...
Yes you can just throw a tube in. In fact, I have a tube in my saddleback that hasn't seen it's use for last 1.5 years. Tubeless tires are a little harder to mount/dismount than some tires typically so that would be the hardest part for you on the road. After that would be the sealant to deal with (nice if you have a rag... if not... just deal with the mess). I've have 3 different tubeless wheelset and mounting and dismounting is all different. HED Ardennes was super easy (no levers needed), Reynolds Assault/Strike SLG (lever needed but not too bad), Token C50 (lever required and I would much prefer using tire jack on this one at home than on road). All using Schwalbe Pro One. They are slightly more effort than Michelin Pro 4 Service course on same rims respectively.
I do suggest carrying CO2 cartridges instead of pumps as if the tire unseated while sealing up, burst of pressure might be needed to reseat it (happens when you had to go more on big puncture and air got below 30-40 psi on some rims...)
I am so much in tubeless camp at this point that I didn't even get Zipp or Enve as they don't really offer one... till now... Waiting for Enve 3.4 which is finally tubeless ready this year.
Thanks for this post. More to think about, but luckily I don't need the tire now.
Old 03-23-17, 07:47 AM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Order the Rubino Pro G+. They were just the cheapest by the time I went to pull the trigger, at least in 25mm. I'll probably wait to use them until my current rear tire wears out.
Old 03-24-17, 12:06 AM
puddingface

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using conti 4000s2 in NYC for a bit now. Not bulletproof but impressive considering just how bad our streets are. If you need to step up the puncture protection, the Conti 4 season is a good choice over the Gatorskin.
Old 03-24-17, 04:21 AM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
make your tyres great again
Old 03-24-17, 07:28 AM
GuyWood

Bikes: 1992 Dave Yates Diabolo MTB, Steel winter roadie upgraded to full 11 speed 105 and Hunt wheels. 2016 Giant Defy Advanced two with Hunt wheels.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently changed the tyres on my winter bike from Conti 4 Seasons to Michelin Power Endurance and I'm VERY impressed, they have much lower rolling resistance.
Old 03-24-17, 08:55 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I commute 3-4 times a week roughly 12 miles each way. Much of it on crushed granite bike paths. I also sometime race or go on race 'simulation' type rides. Right now I'm using one of the higher end Specialized tires - would have to look at it to tell you the model lol. I like it a lot and it handles all of the above pretty well.

One thing I do that I don't know why others don't is run sealant in my tubes (regular tubes - latex isn't worth it). I use Orange Seal which, on a side note, is made in the same city I live in - Cedar Park, TX (what are the odds? ). It will save your backside in both a race or a commute.

I've tried a lot of different tires. Only two I didn't care for were the Maxxis Re-Fuse and Conti Gatorskins.