Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Stationary Trainer for Cargo Bike

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 05:06 PM
MaxsBigRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking for a stationary trainer that would fit the rear wheel of my cargo bike - which has an internal hub and an axle approximately 21 cm or 8.3 inches wide. From what I have been able to learn online, most trainers will not open wide enough to hold the wheel and my bicycle is too long to fit on a set of rollers.

The Kinetic Road Machine looks like it might fit - but it has been hard to get the exact measurements from the manufacturer. If anyone has one of these and could measure the opening it would be appreciated!

For the past five Junes I have done a 600 km charity ride on the bike with my son and while the actual physical ride won't be possible this year, I'd like to keep the streak alive and show we don't give up in the face of adversity - we adapt. The bike is a symbol of the ride, so I'd like to use this if possible.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-20, 05:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
Great topic. I have been wanting a stationary trainer for my unicycle. I'll bet the one you get will work for me.
Old 04-10-20, 05:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
21cm is end-to-end distance?
I have an old Tacx that I bought for my daughter to use. It looks like it should take up to almost 200mm axle, including the quick release. Newer trainers should probably be designed to fit super boost mountain bikes, so they may be wide enough to fit your bike.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-10-20 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 08:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Great topic. I have been wanting a stationary trainer for my unicycle. I'll bet the one you get will work for me.
why the snarky response? seems a legitimate question which is the purpose of this forum.

to the OP: if i had that trainer i would measure it out for you. good luck with the trainer and hope you can complete the "ride." you can always ride locally? no?
Old 04-11-20, 07:08 AM
MaxsBigRide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spelger
why the snarky response? seems a legitimate question which is the purpose of this forum.

to the OP: if i had that trainer i would measure it out for you. good luck with the trainer and hope you can complete the "ride." you can always ride locally? no?
Thanks for the support. We are trying to stay home as much as possible as my son's immune system is compromised so I'd rather do the ride at home if possible. If things change by June a local ride could be an option. Thanks!
Likes For MaxsBigRide:
Old 04-11-20, 07:10 AM
MaxsBigRide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
21cm is end-to-end distance?
I have an old Tacx that I bought for my daughter to use. It looks like it should take up to almost 200mm axle, including the quick release. Newer trainers should probably be designed to fit super boost mountain bikes, so they may be wide enough to fit your bike.
Thank you. I will keep looking. I wrote to Tacx and their response was the wheel was too wide for any of their current models. I'll keep looking though - thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-20, 07:30 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Wahoo Kickr Snap would work - there's lots of slack on my son's bike with 135mm rear axles - but is probably FAR overkill for what you're looking for.
Old 04-11-20, 08:46 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxsBigRide
I am looking for a stationary trainer that would fit the rear wheel of my cargo bike - which has an internal hub and an axle approximately 21 cm or 8.3 inches wide.
I'm using my old CycleOps wind trainer, like the one at the link provided (I think CycleOps became Saris). I just measured the extreme rear wheel clamp width and it will adjust out to just a bit over 9 inches. If you want something more sofisticated than a simple wind trainer (i.e. magnetic, fluid, remotely adjustable, etc)...looking at other models...it looks like most of the stands are the same as the one I have.
https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Traine...s/SA1020T.html

Dan
Old 04-11-20, 10:04 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
It looks like my cycleops fluid trainer would open up wide enough for that hub.
Old 04-11-20, 10:28 AM
MaxsBigRide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I'm using my old CycleOps wind trainer, like the one at the link provided (I think CycleOps became Saris). I just measured the extreme rear wheel clamp width and it will adjust out to just a bit over 9 inches. If you want something more sofisticated than a simple wind trainer (i.e. magnetic, fluid, remotely adjustable, etc)...looking at other models...it looks like most of the stands are the same as the one I have.

Dan
Thanks very much for measuring this for me - much appreciated! This sounds like a good option.
Old 04-11-20, 11:33 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I have a quite old (9+ years at the very least) Kurt kinetic road machine and it looks like the widest it goes is a smidge under 9” (22.8 cm).

Mine has the old cups, that the cup on the non drive does not have a notch for the quick release though. Newer models may have that issue resolved. Depending on your setup, you should be able to secure the hub and will have room to tighten the cups.