Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Considering a Boyd Wheelset

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 05:58 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I’m looking to upgrade my wheelset with a carbon set in an effort to get more aero. I live in Louisiana and it’s flat as a pancake here so no climbing will be involved unless I roll up on a bridge. I’ve owned a set of CLX 60 about 5 years ago and they were fast! I’m looking at the CLX 64’s but I’m also considering saving about $800 and getting a set of Boyd’s 55mm wheelset. Anyone have any experience with this brand that can offer advice. Is a big company like Specialized with their Roval wheels or Enve that much better that I will notice enough of a speed difference or will the difference be marginal at best? Thanks for any input!
Old 11-04-20, 06:03 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Curious about this too. Mr Boyd presents himself well enough on his site.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 11-04-20, 06:29 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
When components get to those price levels my gut says go with better known companies. Campy Boras, Fulcrum Racing Wind or Corima would be my choice for expensive carbon wheels. But they look nice.
Old 11-05-20, 08:34 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Very happy with my Boyd Pinnacle wheelset, same hubs that come on the 55s you're looking at, the Quest hubs. Hub pulls off without tools for easy maintenance, has a somewhat loud, but not annoying sound, def has very quick engagement. I've put them through some pretty rough abuse on a few gravel races/rides already and they're doing great. I'm local to Boyd's shop, and have ridden with Boyd and most of his crew multiple times, they're def passionate about the cycling community. Lifetime warranty and crash replacement, similar to other big brands.

Speed wise, doubt you'd notice any difference in speed between any quality wheelset of similar depth.

Full disclosure, I won my wheels in a raffle, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a set.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 11-06-20, 03:57 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I have two sets of Boyd Altamont wheels. Aluminum clinchers. As good as any wheel I own; and I have a number of nice custom wheels built with Chris King and White Industry hubs.

A set of Boyd carbon wheels is going on my next bike, a No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide. That bike will be arriving February 2021.

Have communicated with Boyd Johnson numerous times regarding wheel sets and I highly recommend him and Boyd Wheels.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 11-06-20, 10:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
I have two sets of Altamonts that I have owned for for 5 years. 1 Rim and 1 Disc, they are great wheels and have never had to be trued.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-07-20, 05:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Very happy with my Boyd Pinnacle wheelset, same hubs that come on the 55s you're looking at, the Quest hubs. Hub pulls off without tools for easy maintenance, has a somewhat loud, but not annoying sound, def has very quick engagement. I've put them through some pretty rough abuse on a few gravel races/rides already and they're doing great. I'm local to Boyd's shop, and have ridden with Boyd and most of his crew multiple times, they're def passionate about the cycling community. Lifetime warranty and crash replacement, similar to other big brands.

Speed wise, doubt you'd notice any difference in speed between any quality wheelset of similar depth.

Full disclosure, I won my wheels in a raffle, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a set.
Love the look of these wheels. The gold looks great.

Likes For jaxgtr: