Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Looking for framebuilder in NJ/NY/PA - add disc tabs to old Kona

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 03:30 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi

Searched for disc tabs, disc tabs frame, etc...couldn't really get any useful results so I'm asking here

I need (want) to add disc tabs to a 94 Kona Kilauea - I managed to get a response from Dekerf in Canada (super nice guy btw) but sending the frame over is starting to be a chore - USPS returned the package and I'm still waiting to know why, so I was trying to see if there are any framebuilders around NYC that can reliably do the job - that way I can drive over and drop the frame in person or at least be sure USPS will not pull some BS like they did with international delivery.

I have sent almost a dozen emails to framebuilders I have found online, and they either didn't respond or they do not accept "restoration" projects anymore.

Anyone here can recommend a framebuilder that would accept the job and do it to standard?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-21, 05:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
"a framebuilder that would accept the job and do it to standard" msr_78

Some builders standards are to not do a mod to a frame that wasn't an aspect of the frame's design/standard. So adding disk mounts to a frame/fork that wasn't designed to accept them is below some builders' standards. So often the builders left who will take on this type of project are on the young or inexperienced side of life and less experienced at both doing the work and attaining your "standard", what evet it is. Then there's the nature of many of these types of jobs that mushroom into more time and effort but easily come to an end without completing the goals. No wonder many builders hope that some requests for work go away.

I agree that a local area fabricator is the best way. Good luck. Andy
Old 08-04-21, 06:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Bilenky will do anything, but their lead time is pretty far out. If you were going to ship it to Canada, shipping it to Utah and Waltworks probably isn't that much more. I'm sure I'm ignoring some obvious east cost options. Porter in NYC maybe?
Old 08-04-21, 06:48 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Porter just posted something to IG about being flooded with repairs and add-ons. To the point where it was taking away from building frames. He was going to stop accepting this kind of work for a while.
Old 08-04-21, 07:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I saw that about repairs, wasn't sure if that would include this kind of thing, but you're probably right. I am patiently waiting to learn about his method of taking a stuck seatpost out.
Old 08-05-21, 09:13 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I saw that about repairs, wasn't sure if that would include this kind of thing, but you're probably right. I am patiently waiting to learn about his method of taking a stuck seatpost out.
I'm sure he would tell you. I met him at NAHBS in Sacramento, nice guy and gracious with information. I was so awestruck by the bike he brought I was having a hard time talking.
Old 08-05-21, 02:01 PM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I'm sure he would tell you. I met him at NAHBS in Sacramento, nice guy and gracious with information. I was so awestruck by the bike he brought I was having a hard time talking.
Not sure if I tried him, but what he told you is kind of what I found with the majority of the framebuilders that would respond - they either have stopped taking these kind of jobs as they're backed up or they just have stopped doing repairs altogether.

I'll try with the suggestions, many thanks Unterhausen, Cynikal...and I did consider west coast too, but either they don't answer emails or don't pick up the phone. The east coast was a last resort not only for transport, but because I could, at a pinch, drive over and ask in person.

Maybe the most sensible thing to do is wait until things go back to normal and once they're back to a steady number of orders they will be interested in doing modifications again.

Thanks
Old 08-05-21, 06:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I would tell you to ask Franklin frames, but I heard he is on hiatus. Might be worth checking.

I find repairs to be really unsatisfying, and I wouldn't do them if I were in business. Similarly, I would worry about that fork having a disc mount on it. The rear triangle is really no problem if there is a strut between the chainstay and seatstay on the NDS.
Old 08-06-21, 08:42 AM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would tell you to ask Franklin frames, but I heard he is on hiatus. Might be worth checking.

I find repairs to be really unsatisfying, and I wouldn't do them if I were in business. Similarly, I would worry about that fork having a disc mount on it. The rear triangle is really no problem if there is a strut between the chainstay and seatstay on the NDS.
Yeah, I agree this kind of job must not be the most exciting for a framebuilder, plus add to that the frame needs stripping and repainting, we're talking about an expensive but unexciting job - I must thank Dekerf for at least accepting the job, but I never thought sending stuff to Canada could be so complicated - it's kind of ridiculous that there may be import/export fees involved when I'm sending a used frame to be repaired and will have it sent back, talk about free markets.

Bilenky will do it, I've called and he's fine, although he's got a three month backup, but as I'm in no hurry I think I'm sending it down to him

Thanks for the tip
Old 08-12-21, 09:55 AM
onitsuka_luv

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If you have not yet check with Casey at Mars Cycle, he's in Brooklyn, he also works with Steve Bilenky at times and it could save you shipping.
Old 08-13-21, 08:18 AM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by onitsuka_luv
If you have not yet check with Casey at Mars Cycle, he's in Brooklyn, he also works with Steve Bilenky at times and it could save you shipping.
Thanks!

I checked his page and it seems contact is by online form only, doesn't seem to have a phone. Tbh, as I have managed to get hold of Bilenky and he is willing to do the job, I'll just go with him; plus driving over to Brooklyn (Casey is in Brooklyn, right?) means paying tolls on the tunnel - gotta love NYC. In any case, I still haven't received the frame back from USPS and they can't even tell me why delivery to Canada was rejected.