Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-02-21, 11:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My new MTB arrived - about three weeks earlier than I expected. So, I'm pretty psyched. I think I've got the suspension dialed properly. I probably need to set it up tubeless, but I can run tubes for now. Only complaint is that I cannot make it out to the trails until Sunday.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 11-07-21, 06:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Had to swap one 12 year old tv stored in shed for other. One that had fallen died. Other one up now.

I over heated the room yesterday. I got it to 65 before workout and forgot total heating is the heater watts plus my fan plus my 260w of sweetspot work.

It got up in 70’s in set 1. Stopped to open door and turn heat off. Second set final HR was lower than first set due to cooler room.

Curtains next. There is no door in front of bike, reflection of the door outside the porch to the water heater room. Door to room is to the left

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-08-21, 09:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
This past Saturday.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-08-21, 11:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
The only one of those I know is Jeff Pierce, who raced for my team when he was slumming amateur racing in the 90s, before my time on the team.
Old 11-08-21, 02:22 PM
big john

Originally Posted by gsteinb
The only one of those I know is Jeff Pierce, who raced for my team when he was slumming amateur racing in the 90s, before my time on the team.
Myles Rockwell was a UCI Downhill world champ and did all kinds of racing and helped develop mountain bikes. He won the Red Bull Road Rage here in California. It was a downhill road race and he won both top speed and all of his heats. We tried to ride into the venue but were turned away.

Paul Deem is a local legend here and friend of a friend and part of a old timer group that I'm in on FB.

I remember Bunki Bankaitis-Davis from her racing, She lost her battle with cancer early this year.

Jeff Pierce I remember from 7-11 days.

Leigh Donovan is a 9 time national downhill champion and 1 time UCI World Champion with many podiums. I was a fan back when she was racing. The top American woman for years. Now she teaches skills classes.

Joe Breeze, of Breezer Bikes, is a mountain bike pioneer, racer, framebuilder, and there are many stories about his exploits on the bike, both on and off road.

That's what I remember.
Old 11-08-21, 08:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Marianne Martin was a Gimble's guy's girlfriend I think. He got her into cycling, I think they both used to smoke, and they started riding as a way to get off the habit. If you've done Gimbles you probably know him. Chris... I forget his last name. He's into cars too. And I think formerly a Bicycling editor? The Winning Magazine article on her talks about all that stuff.

Jeff Pierce - his Champs win was absolutely insane. Insane.

Joe Breeze... I have to find the link to the video of him that I have somewhere. It's a "not searchable" clip on my YouTube. You have to have the link. And I have to remember my login to get the URL. *edit... wrong mountain bike guy. It was Gary fisher in the video. /edit *
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 11-08-21 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 09:34 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Wasn't Joe Breeze one of those guys along with Charlie Kelly and Gary Fisher that sort of invented mountain biking by riding old schwinns down trails and welding them back together in new shapes when they'd trashed them?
Old 11-09-21, 08:31 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by himespau
Wasn't Joe Breeze one of those guys along with Charlie Kelly and Gary Fisher that sort of invented mountain biking by riding old schwinns down trails and welding them back together in new shapes when they'd trashed them?
I believe he was the actual one. Gary Fisher (who is in the video I was thinking of) was more a marketing person, business. Breeze was one of the tinkerers and made the first run of mountain bikes.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-09-21, 09:16 AM
big john

Originally Posted by himespau
Tom Ritchey was another one.
Old 11-09-21, 01:01 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Marianne Martin was a Gimble's guy's girlfriend I think. He got her into cycling, I think they both used to smoke, and they started riding as a way to get off the habit. If you've done Gimbles you probably know him. Chris... I forget his last name. He's into cars too. And I think formerly a Bicycling editor? The Winning Magazine article on her talks about all that stuff.

Jeff Pierce - his Champs win was absolutely insane. Insane.

Joe Breeze... I have to find the link to the video of him that I have somewhere. It's a "not searchable" clip on my YouTube. You have to have the link. And I have to remember my login to get the URL. *edit... wrong mountain bike guy. It was Gary fisher in the video. /edit *

I've actually never done Gimbles. It never made much sense for me to drive that far and cross a bridge for a training ride. It is weird that after all these years it never happened.
Old 11-09-21, 03:16 PM
carpediemracing 

I've actually never done Gimbles. It never made much sense for me to drive that far and cross a bridge for a training ride. It is weird that after all these years it never happened.
A 9W guy then, which I've never done, because, you know, it'd be a huge thing to drive over the bridge to do a training ride. haha.

Speaking of which, did you hear about someone getting murdered at the Jamis warehouse off 9W? I used to drive there to get bikes - we'd sell bikes, go pick them up at G Joannou Cycle, and have them ready for pick up by the evening. It's a bit nutty to think something like that happened there.

But then again someone by our garage bays at work a few years ago. So things happen.
Old 11-09-21, 05:07 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

No, but my friend (ex pro mountain bike)r worked there back in day, and when I lived in NJ their marketing person lived down the street from me. That's nuts.
Old 11-09-21, 05:07 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YYr_Mi2cbOQ
Old 11-09-21, 07:00 PM
big john

How do people get so effed up?
Old 11-09-21, 07:07 PM
big john

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Marianne Martin was a Gimble's guy's girlfriend I think. *
Likes For big john:
Old 11-10-21, 09:06 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Sometimes folks say things in passing that catch you off guard when you think back to it.

I'm hoping there's nothing to it.

Guy that organizes the little club run TT's handed me some TT tires when we were all leaving for the night last night after a weeknight club run (not tt now that dark). He's been doing great, but undergoing some chemo. As cycling through the treatments and making it out when health permits based on the schedule for that. He made the comment he wanted to give them away as they'd "likely dry rot before he'd get to using them again". Tires don't dry rot in a year, or two even, that I'm aware of. Not sure why but my heart just sank knowing the other thing going on.
Old 11-10-21, 10:10 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sometimes folks say things in passing that catch you off guard when you think back to it.

I'm hoping there's nothing to it.

Guy that organizes the little club run TT's handed me some TT tires when we were all leaving for the night last night after a weeknight club run (not tt now that dark). He's been doing great, but undergoing some chemo. As cycling through the treatments and making it out when health permits based on the schedule for that. He made the comment he wanted to give them away as they'd "likely dry rot before he'd get to using them again". Tires don't dry rot in a year, or two even, that I'm aware of. Not sure why but my heart just sank knowing the other thing going on.
Don't read too much into this. I'm on a "medication holiday" from chemo, but I've been running and riding all the way through it. Chemo's effect on me was to incrementally decrease my running speed and power on the bike as well as endurance in both sports. You can't not think about your pre-chemo abilities, and it wears you down mentally and psychologically. Your friend is apparently in a "down" phase, and maybe he's looking at an upcoming more aggressive treatment regimen which he knows is going to put his pud in the mud. Showing your appreciation that he's out there at all is encouraging in itself.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 11-10-21, 12:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by revchuck
Don't read too much into this. I'm on a "medication holiday" from chemo, but I've been running and riding all the way through it. Chemo's effect on me was to incrementally decrease my running speed and power on the bike as well as endurance in both sports. You can't not think about your pre-chemo abilities, and it wears you down mentally and psychologically. Your friend is apparently in a "down" phase, and maybe he's looking at an upcoming more aggressive treatment regimen which he knows is going to put his pud in the mud. Showing your appreciation that he's out there at all is encouraging in itself.
I hear ya. This is why even though running is a far #2 to riding, I am going to make it out to the run meetup versus the TT with daylight savings darkness. It's a great group and it's good to see him each week.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-11-21, 08:12 PM
carpediemracing 

So everyone that uses BikeReg... BikeReg just got bought by Outside Magazine (et al - they own Velonews as well as a bazillion other publications).

Outside Magazine has a thing called Outside+, which is a membership to everything under the Outside umbrella. It includes getting through the Velonews paywall, a real subscription to Outside, and....

$30 race credit on BikeReg
$30 service fee credit on BikeReg

Outside+ is on sale for $49.50 this week.

In other words, if you prepay $50 right now, you'll get $60 back on BikeReg. Plus all the other benefits.

To join is hard due to a bug for anyone that has a BikeReg membership/email. So assuming you already have a BikeReg account, use those credentials (email - not username, password) to get into Outside Magazine. If you don't have a stringent enough password, you'll have to change it at BikeReg then use the good password to get into Outside.

Once in Outside, click on the Profile icon in the top right, the click on the "My Profile" (in little letters).

In "My Profile" click on "My Subscriptions" and you'll be able to join Outside+

I don't work for either company but I've used BikeReg both as a racer and a promoter.
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 11-12-21, 06:59 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
With the land border opened and the arrival of snow here I am considering a road trip.

Normally, I would fly and stay in hotels but this time I want to bring my dog.

Rough plan is to make it as far as San Diego and mostly camp where possible. Any recommendations on camping locations in California?
Old 11-13-21, 04:14 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

What's involved in bringing your dog across the border? I've never done it because I didn't think it was an easy thing to do.
Old 11-13-21, 04:37 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Between Canada and the US it seems to be no big deal, dog just has to appear healthy. I'll bring his vaccination and deworming records in case they ask.
Old 11-13-21, 08:08 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
With the land border opened and the arrival of snow here I am considering a road trip.

Normally, I would fly and stay in hotels but this time I want to bring my dog.

Rough plan is to make it as far as San Diego and mostly camp where possible. Any recommendations on camping locations in California?
If you are traveling the coast there are lots of campgrounds. Big Sur is nice and Jalama Beach is a favorite. If you go through the Lake Tahoe area there is great camping there. Could be cold depending on when you go. Also, Mammoth area and south of there and of course the National parks, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon. Cold there in winter, too.
If you're coming in winter the coast is better. Some of the desert is great, too, but it can also be cold. To you,it might not be cold, though.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-13-21, 09:36 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by big john
To you,it might not be cold, though.
I have high-end camping equipment. Below freezing is no problem but rain is annoying
Old 11-13-21, 10:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I have high-end camping equipment. Below freezing is no problem but rain is annoying
I think the coast is always a safe bet but there might be snow and ice at high elevations. Not much snow yet but the weather changes fast this time of year. I'm north of Los Angeles and it was 90 here today.
Traveling north to south the fastest way is Route 5 but it's not a scenic drive. The coast route, Hwy 1, is the slowest but the most scenic. Hwy 395 is nice, at least until southern California, but not as fast as Route 5. Also, if there are storms, 395 is subject to snow. A lot depends on how you are entering the state, from which other state.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.