Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-15-21, 11:30 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
rain is annoying

but worse than rain is Americans

good luck!

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-15-21, 12:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I made someone laugh out loud while I was riding the TT bike Sunday. Been hunting if an out/back suitable for testing exists by the house (looking like a solid NO). On one out/back I see a guy on one of those "ghetto fabbed" gas powered bicycles going down the sidewalk. I catch him and in jest yell over "dude, that's so lazy!". Dude loved it, laughed so hard. I think it made our days.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-15-21, 01:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
My wife and I went suit shopping yesterday at Nordstrom. I've never owned one (don't laugh) and I thought our company party coming up would be a good excuse to. I mean I have dress shirts and slacks and ties - but no suit. I was going to buy one before our wedding on May 2019, which turned into a courthouse affair for obvious reasons.

It's a navy blue Ted Baker single breasted, wool suit. I tried on a Hugo Boss too but I like the modern "slim" cut of the Ted Baker more - higher button/jacket and smaller shoulder. It's getting tailored up and I'm picking it up on Sunday - nice.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-15-21, 03:35 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think the coast is always a safe bet but there might be snow and ice at high elevations. Not much snow yet but the weather changes fast this time of year. I'm north of Los Angeles and it was 90 here today.
Traveling north to south the fastest way is Route 5 but it's not a scenic drive. The coast route, Hwy 1, is the slowest but the most scenic. Hwy 395 is nice, at least until southern California, but not as fast as Route 5. Also, if there are storms, 395 is subject to snow. A lot depends on how you are entering the state, from which other state.
So far day one I drive from Edmonton to Lethbridge, Day two I drive to Salt Lake City, after that is still open. I have been to Vegas a bunch of times so may go west on the 80 and forget about going so far south.
Old 11-15-21, 05:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
So far day one I drive from Edmonton to Lethbridge, Day two I drive to Salt Lake City, after that is still open. I have been to Vegas a bunch of times so may go west on the 80 and forget about going so far south.
You could go to Tahoe. There are some nice campgrounds by Fallen Leaf Lake. From there Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon if they're still open, If you want to see those parks.
What I did before was go from Tahoe to Lassen Park then over to the north coast to see some friends. Took a road bike with me. A friend has a place in the Tahoe area and the mountain biking and hiking are great there.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-15-21, 07:16 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
My wife and I went suit shopping yesterday at Nordstrom. I've never owned one (don't laugh) and I thought our company party coming up would be a good excuse to. I mean I have dress shirts and slacks and ties - but no suit. I was going to buy one before our wedding on May 2019, which turned into a courthouse affair for obvious reasons.

It's a navy blue Ted Baker single breasted, wool suit. I tried on a Hugo Boss too but I like the modern "slim" cut of the Ted Baker more - higher button/jacket and smaller shoulder. It's getting tailored up and I'm picking it up on Sunday - nice.
My nice suits are from Nordstrom as well. They have nice stuff. Haven't had cause to wear one in quite a while.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 11-15-21, 07:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Yeah same, especially lately since we're not fully "around the corner" from pandemic related closures and event cancellations. Hopefully I can find some reasons to put it on as things start to open up.
Old 11-16-21, 03:21 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

My suit pretty much only gets used for funerals; the less it is used the better.
Old 11-17-21, 08:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I wore suits a lot. Esp. international travel. People want to take pictures when you are formally dressed, not so much when you aren't. Just something I noticed.
Old 11-18-21, 12:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I've never owned a suit. I might have a tie around here somewhere. The last friend's funeral I attended was tropical/Hawaiian dress per his widow's request.
Old 11-21-21, 07:30 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
after riding with 42cm bars ever since I bought my Allez in 2018, I'm finally getting around with going back to 38 like I had previously. Also took the opportunity to go aero with the handlebar, ordering the prime doyenne bars from chain reaction (only $65). So I'm hoping with width reduction and profile will result in something modest. Aside from wheels, which are the most basic specialized/axis sport branded model, I'll have all the low hanging fruit of helmet, kit, tires and bars covered. I have never changed the internally routed cables in 3 years either, so I guess this will force my hand to undertaking that task, won't do it without the special park tool kit though!
Old 11-21-21, 08:31 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
after riding with 42cm bars ever since I bought my Allez in 2018, I'm finally getting around with going back to 38 like I had previously. Also took the opportunity to go aero with the handlebar, ordering the prime doyenne bars from chain reaction (only $65). So I'm hoping with width reduction and profile will result in something modest. Aside from wheels, which are the most basic specialized/axis sport branded model, I'll have all the low hanging fruit of helmet, kit, tires and bars covered. I have never changed the internally routed cables in 3 years either, so I guess this will force my hand to undertaking that task, won't do it without the special park tool kit though!
A set of used tall wheels will make a difference on a budget. Although I went hog wild and bought 3 sets of new wheels in 2010 (Stinger 6/6, Jet 6/9, Bastogne aka Ardennes profile), my favorite wheels now (Stinger 7/9 front/rear) I bought used, for about the price of one new Stinger. And all my track wheels, except a TriSpoke I bought in 1994? were sourced used.

Ask local riders (teammates?) if they have anything. I sold a couple sets of wheels on the cheap to friends, and I even lent one a set of wheels "permanently" which he returned when he stopped racing about 5 years after I gave him the wheels.

Generally taller is better as you have low profile ones now. You can use a tall rear wheel in any situation, and a tall front wheel in most conditions. The differences in paper performance is one thing, but tall wheels do catch a nice lift in cross tailwinds, and I love sailing on them. In headwinds they are useless.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-21-21, 09:03 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Enthalpic youre out on the west coast of the great white north right?
Old 11-22-21, 12:33 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Enthalpic youre out on the west coast of the great white north right?
ridethecliche Edmonton Alberta
Old 11-25-21, 10:37 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

gobble gobble, peeps
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-25-21, 11:14 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'm grateful today for having been able to get on the bike this morning and push myself hard enough to feel some self-inflicted pain. Nothing world-shaking, but it was good.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 11-25-21, 06:39 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
gobble gobble, peeps
I've been playing a game online, paired with my son (so we both play the same "player"). Guild. Main other person in guild, sort of like a leadout man but in reverse ("wherever you go, I'll follow") lives in northern Norway. Just bought a caravan ("A minivan?" "No... in America it would be a camping trailer"). He plans to go camping on the Norway / Finnish border. And he goes shopping in Sweden. I see your picture and that's what I think of.

I'm trying to imagine being able to live out of a vehicle, if you will, and it seems really intense. Untethering. When I go on a long drive, typically more than one day in one direction, at about the half or two-thirds point of the first day, I realized, there's no turning back. And my mindset on things change, do a 180, and I approach things differently. I have to imagine that camping out would trigger the same response.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-25-21, 07:55 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

It’s funny. The people I see living out of caravans are doing it in 2 million dollar motor homes and towing vehicles behind them. Not sure it has the same vibe as what you describe.

we’ve been on the road two weeks. Feeling ready to get home tomorrow. In a hotel tonight. It was 25 last night, but the heaters did a good job.

I used to want a van, but if you want to do stuff you need to break everything down and drive your bed around. This way we unhitch and life is pretty normal. So far it’s a pretty good thing. But we haven’t left the east coast yet. Still we’ll be away every month oct-aprl.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-26-21, 07:48 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

USA border agent didn't even ask me if I was vaccinated let alone ask for proof of vaccination. Zero questions about the dog.

All he cared about was my lack of fixed itinerary... no worries sir, I like Canada and will return home.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 11-26-21 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-26-21, 11:44 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by gsteinb
It’s funny. The people I see living out of caravans are doing it in 2 million dollar motor homes and towing vehicles behind them.
I saw the sweetest rig the other day. Semi rig dragging a near bloody house and a car. Need class 1 (air brake etc.) for that. No way the setup was less than 5 million.
Old 11-28-21, 04:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
What was the Black Friday damage? Happy, proud, eagerly awaiting deliveries?

I’m embarrassed.

But will sell old stuff if necessary to soften the blow.
Old 11-28-21, 06:21 PM
carpediemracing 

No big Black Friday stuff here.

Back went out a week ago Friday. This is the worst it's been with no instigating incident (no doing yard work etc). It just got worse during the morning Friday until the only comfortable position was standing on one foot, putting one knee of the other leg on an office chair, supported torso by putting both forearms on the desk (think aero bars), bent over. I was trying to use the mouse with just wrist movements because my forearms had to support my torso weight and I couldn't move them. Boss looked at me. "Dude, you gotta go home".

My head is about 6" to the left of my belly button (assuming that's about centerline of body).

By the end of the day I could barely move. Called out Sat, (off Sun), Mon, went to doc on Mon, doc prescribed Prednisone, Flexeril, Tramadol, and PT (earliest was next Tues). Called out Tues, off Wed. By end of day Wed I was only maybe 2" off center.

Worked Fri/Sat (12, 10 hours) and now my back is 80% as bad as it was last Friday, head is 6" to the left again. Couldn't do anything today. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to work 11 hours, then Tues is off, PT, etc.

It's hard thinking of doing stuff on the bike at times like this.

Right now I feel like I'm living to work - all my R&R is basically so I can get to work the next day I'm scheduled.
Old 11-28-21, 09:17 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by carpediemracing

Right now I feel like I'm living to work - all my R&R is basically so I can get to work the next day I'm scheduled.
I hated that feeling. Flexeril and a tramadol will make you feel better for a bit.

I'm rushing back to Canada tomorrow out of fear that the new covid variants will get me trapped here.
Old 11-28-21, 10:53 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Flexeril is magic stuff. At least it was the last time I threw my back out. After getting out of whack when I got hit by a car this year, meloxicam is doing great stuff as well (for a lesser, but nagging) pain. Dry needling from the physical therapist did wonders for my back too. Felt weird (especially with the electricity up to max forcing me to do pelvic thrusts into the table in public), but it definitely got me on the right track.
Old 11-29-21, 07:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tramadol makes you not care about very much, other than getting more tramadol.
Likes For gsteinb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.