Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod Rail Trail C&V season opener

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cape Cod Rail Trail C&V season opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 07:12 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
What's the weather like in Cape Cod at this time of year? I haven't been there since my honeymoon, 28 years ago. We brought our bikes and had a great time riding the trails along the beach. Please post lots of pic's please, would like to see what it looks like again.
Old 04-01-22, 10:06 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
We've done this ride when it's been 60s and sunny and also done it when it was 40s and raining.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-01-22, 12:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
We've done this ride when it's been 60s and sunny and also done it when it was 40s and raining.

i.e., spring in New England.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-01-22, 01:35 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
oh, I've only been in the summer and figured it would be warmer.
Old 04-10-22, 03:55 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
We took the tandem out for our first ride of the year! Did about 30 miles, so we are ready for the CCRT! Sharon is already gathering ingredients for the oatmeal cookies, all natural, gluten-free, organic , made without ingredients!

Old 04-10-22, 04:58 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Is that the "rude bridge that arched the flood"?

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-11-22, 06:38 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by top506
Is that the "rude bridge that arched the flood"?
Ayup.

I once asked a park ranger at the Buttrick House (the site of the Colonial commanders that day back in 1775, it is up there on the hill on the other side of the river) about Emerson's poem. The "shot heard 'round the world" should be the one fired by someone unknown earlier that morning in Lexington. She replied that Lexington had the first shot but Concord had the best poets.
Old 04-13-22, 11:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw - great fishing for GIANT sunnies around those pilings. just don't do it from shore. they have a rule about only fishing from a boat
Old 04-14-22, 02:32 PM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
The weather is looking pretty good for the Cape Cod opener on Saturday! Looking forward to seeing you guys.
Old 04-15-22, 06:05 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I'm probably out, I have a minor head and chest cold (first time in two years). Don't think its Covid as I've been vaxed and boosted but I will take a home test. I just don't feel like riding with a mask on.

I'm still coming down for the day, maybe I'll ride by myself locally.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 04-15-22, 11:51 AM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Count Me In 🚴‍♂️

I’m in. Looking forward to meeting you all.
We should have a nice tail wind for the ride out.
Old 04-15-22, 04:05 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Scott, sorry you can't make it. We plan to be there unless something untoward occurs, heaven forbid. @ADguy, @T.W.O., we don't know you yet but we are looking forward to meeting you! We heard from Prowler that he is planning to be there too.
Old 04-17-22, 12:30 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

We did it all yesterday! All 22 miles Dennis to Wellfleet, then all 22 back again! it was a great trip

Just to to prove that it actually happened, here are some pics.

At the start. L to R: Jim (ADguy), Steve's friend Rhonda, Todd (prowler), Steve (T.W.O.), Mark a.k.a. Top (top506), Sharon, myself (jimmuller). BF member @spiker showed up at the start just provide encouragement.

Some interesting bikes, Jim's Peugeot and Top's Gitane.

At some point in the ride we realized that all the bikes except Rhonda's were French! Steve rode a beautiful Motobecane but somehow we didn't get a pic of it.

Of course we had to spend time telling tall tales. Here are a few at the start, at Nickerson State Park, and in Orleans.

By tradition someone always has a mechanical problem on these CCRT rides. We began to worry that this tradition might fall by the wayside when we hadn't had any just a few miles from returning to the cars. Then good fortune struck! We came upon two damsels in distress! Well, actually only one was in distress because of a flat tire. How many bike mechanics does it take to change a flat tire? It was actually good fortune for us and for the distressed damsel. That's her standing to the left in this next pic.

Top won the cool-wardrobe prize. Here's a better view.

The weather cooperated, mostly. It did not rain! Not even one drop. However it was windy. Brutally windy on the return. Headwind, crosswind, more headwind, more crosswind. You name it, we got it. And did I mention that it was brutally windy? However even with the wind we all made it back to the start. If count the faces you will see the same number as at the start! Isn't that great?

Last edited by jimmuller; 04-18-22 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-17-22, 08:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
wow you guys are inspirational
Old 04-18-22, 05:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
As usual, my trip to the Cape included other stops and rides. Thursday morning I drove to Plainville, CT and rode the Farmington Heritage trail. That trail now has a parking lot at the southern end, right at Robertson Airport, so it's now a 24.5 mile trip to the MA state line. A perfect spring day to cruise the whole thing and back. Friday I was on the Cape and toured the Old Colony Trail and the bike route around Chatham, MA with a lunch stop at the Chatham Lighthouse and the CG station. Thoughts of the many historic rescues in the unforgiving waters off the cape there, and the lives lost in the attempts.

Saturday was the Season Opener as described above. I was glad I could stay on the Cape that night vs driving 7 hours home to Pennsylvania. Sunday morning I went to Valley Falls, RI and enjoyed the Blackstone River Trail. I don't see any mentions of that trail here on BF so it may be a well guarded secret. I greatly enjoyed it all. Four perfect springs day of weather. Rained a bit during the night, twice, so the days were excellent. About as close to a perfect road trip as I've had.

Blackstone river on the left. Blackstone canal on the right.

The power that tamed the Blackstone river, enabled the canal and created much of the wealth in the valley

A day in the 40deg's with blustery winds but oh so lovely to be out and about.

Last edited by Prowler; 04-18-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-18-22, 06:32 AM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

That was a great ride and a great time! Thanks for organizing, Top!
Old 04-18-22, 07:10 AM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Here is a pic of the '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile that I rode on Saturday. The reputation of the metric 531 frames as being a smooth, comfortable ride is well deserved in my experience. I'll have to snap a photo of Rhonda's Veloce.
Likes For T.W.O.:
Old 04-18-22, 03:22 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

T.W.O., prowler, great pics. Thank you all for participating.
Todd, I used to ride part of the Blackstone River RT every day when I was commuting to Rhode Island. Also Sharon and I once did it with some friends who were living in RI for a while. Nice trail indeed. That pic looks like the rt116 bridge. You should know that every route up the west side of the Blackstone River valley is STEEP. No, make that STEEEEEEP. I know because I tried all of them.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 04-19-22, 02:24 PM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts

Here’s the only good photo I took on Saturday’s ride: Mark, Steve, Rhonda & Todd, waiting for Sharon, Jim & me to catch up on the two Peugeots…
As a first timer on this ride and relatively new forum member, I had a great ride, and really enjoyed meeting all of you. And, a special thank you to Sharon for the extra cookies and energy bar - next time I’ll remember to bring more than water. All the best!
Likes For ADguy:
Old 04-19-22, 07:32 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Looks like you had a great time in spite of the brutal wind! My wife and I were a hairs-breath away from driving over to join the ride but we got tied up in some last minute things that weren’t nearly as fun as riding bikes on the Cape! We’ll try to join next year and I’ll ride a blue Super Corsa to blend in with the French crowd. We reside in Monument Beach in the spring and fall and if anyone would be interested in riding the Shining Sea Bike Path to Falmouth or the Canal Path to Sandwich and back, please let me know.
Great to know that there are more C&V types in the area!
Likes For Flying G:
Old 04-20-22, 05:38 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Sorry I couldn't make it, probably for the best as I was hacking up a few bits and pieces of what not. But thanks to all the incredible photographs and comments I felt like I was actually there! Question, what's happing at the Wellfleet end of the trail, has that extension been completed yet?

And some catch up:

This week I'm starting a probable 5 month long interior home renovation on my 60 year old house. I'm acting as the general contractor which so far has been going pretty smooth. I have a deadline of September 15th, then a family from the Middle East is moving in with me thru at least the holidays. Sounds crazy at my age, I've been happily living by myself of 20 years. They'll be a 5 and 1 year old mixing it all up. The best part is that the mom is a clean freak and the husband is a wonderful cooker of middle eastern recipes. He's promised to take off my excess weight which will be a good thing. The other good part it I can start traveling more with them minding the house and my pets. So after a summer of hopefully bike riding (and weight loss) I'm already getting pumped up for the fall CCRT ride.

I'm down to just four bikes now, the collection has moved on to other owners. I still have my '86 Fuji Opus III, the '84 Paramount, '73 Mirella I(wall hanger) and my '73 Fuji Finest which I turned into a bit of a gravel grinder.

My commercial photography business hasn't recovered since the beginning of Covid, so I consider myself mostly retired from that end of the business. However, my work is selling quite well in the fine art market. Which is strange because that's where it all started. There is some talk still of doing another bicycle book with Rizolli but the author and I have different ideas of what it should be. He wants to a book on domestic Japanese hand builts, I'd like to explore the historic British builders and shoot some on location in the UK.

If anyone wants to join me on the Nashua River Trail some weekend, let me know. Jim and Sharon, is that near you? It's a good trail for me to get in shape on.

Oh, and one more thing, I picked up a really cool water bottle from Velo Canteen. They're re not cheap ($45) but the look incredible on a vintage machine.

Cheers everyone!

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 04-20-22, 03:03 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
There is some talk still of doing another bicycle book with Rizolli but the author and I have different ideas of what it should be. He wants to a book on domestic Japanese hand builts, I'd like to explore the historic British builders and shoot some on location in the UK.
We need both, really.
Old 04-21-22, 11:20 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
If anyone wants to join me on the Nashua River Trail some weekend, let me know. Jim and Sharon, is that near you? It's a good trail for me to get in shape on.
Hi, Scott. Good to see your name pop here!

Sharon and I have ridden the Nashua River RT quite a few times. It isn't too far from us. We have always started in Ayer but I expect that you start at the northern end.

This summer is pretty hectic with music and vacations but we should be able to find a good weekend. Guaranteed to make it rain that weekend!
Old 04-22-22, 05:29 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Hi, Scott. Good to see your name pop here!

Sharon and I have ridden the Nashua River RT quite a few times. It isn't too far from us. We have always started in Ayer but I expect that you start at the northern end.

This summer is pretty hectic with music and vacations but we should be able to find a good weekend. Guaranteed to make it rain that weekend!

Jim, my sister lives in Bolton and I usually ride with them. So we start in Ayer as well. I'll be ready to ride in a few weeks, let's touch base!

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 07-01-22, 06:39 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Passing through the area on a summer road trip with the family, and remembered this thread. Whilst camped at Nickerson SP, decided on a whim to spend an afternoon doing the CCRT up to Wellfleet and down to Dennis. It was a blast on the old univega alpina— wish we had trails like this in Texas.

Thanks for the inspiration!

CCRT
Likes For panzerwagon: