Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Limits of step through bikes?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-28-22, 04:43 PM
rcd

Bikes: Cannondale T-800, Bridgestone RB-1, Bianche Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

At 70, my wife can no longer swing her leg over the seat when mounting or dismounting her Cannondale touring bike. She’s waiting for hip surgery, and we’re both hoping this limiting problem will disappear with surgery (ya gotta be an optimist past 60….). Over the decades, we’ve cycle toured many thousands of miles, and she intends to get back on her Cannondale. In the interim, however, she wants a step through. I’m thinking a step through (unless one goes super hi-end or custom) is NOT going to give her the stretched-out geometry of a road or touring bike. But she does NOT want an upright, large saddle, urban cruiser. Are there typically bike configurations — especially second—hand ones — to be had these days that allow step through dis/mounting but also more athletic and efficient cycling? Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-28-22, 05:31 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
There are some pretty nice used mixte's out there. Takes a bit of searching and some patience, like with most used items. You seem to know what she is in need of, that is a good start. Maybe you have seen this thread, but here is a link: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...te-frames.html

Last edited by delbiker1; 04-28-22 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add more info
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-29-22, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Step throughs will generally be heavy. If it's expected that the current bike will still be used after recovery, then isn't just leaning the bike way over towards her to put the saddle low enough and then pulling the bike more upright after straddling it a viable option?

Though I know you said she didn't want an upright geometry, most step throughs I've seen are more of a cruiser style upright geometry and there really shouldn't be any issue with that for somewhat short leisurely riding during recovery.

And if her current frame has a lot of seat post exposed, then take a look at dropper posts and see if that might be an option to use with the current bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-29-22, 12:42 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
There are some pretty nice used mixte's out there. Takes a bit of searching and some patience, like with most used items. You seem to know what she is in need of, that is a good start. Maybe you have seen this thread, but here is a link: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...te-frames.html
Thanks. I wasn't even familiar with the term "mixte," although as I look up examples of mixtes, I've seen plenty before -- just didn't know they had a name! I'll look more carefully now that know a good search term. And I'll also consult with my wife about whether she think they'd work. So thanks again for the tip.
Old 04-29-22, 12:46 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Step throughs will generally be heavy. If it's expected that the current bike will still be used after recovery, then isn't just leaning the bike way over towards her to put the saddle low enough and then pulling the bike more upright after straddling it a viable option?

Though I know you said she didn't want an upright geometry, most step throughs I've seen are more of a cruiser style upright geometry and there really shouldn't be any issue with that for somewhat short leisurely riding during recovery.

And if her current frame has a lot of seat post exposed, then take a look at dropper posts and see if that might be an option to use with the current bike.
Yes, I've tried (repeatedly) to get her to just lean the bike over, but -- thus far -- without success. . I'm unfamiliar with "dropper posts". Will Google! Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-30-22, 06:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Don't know that you'd have luck finding a used one, but Cannondale makes what may work--called their Quick Remixte: Cannondale
Old 04-30-22, 07:11 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by rcd
Thanks. I wasn't even familiar with the term "mixte," although as I look up examples of mixtes, I've seen plenty before -- just didn't know they had a name! I'll look more carefully now that know a good search term. And I'll also consult with my wife about whether she think they'd work. So thanks again for the tip.
Also, if you search "step through bikes" you will see bikes that do not show up in the "mixte" search.
Old 04-30-22, 07:37 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
I just ordered a Handsome she devil for my wife. seem like it should fit the bill.
Old 05-01-22, 10:56 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The step through are going to be heavier as the true "ladies" bikes are not being sold in the states. One option to consider is adding a dropper seat post to the bike. This would make it easy to drop the seat to the height of the top tube to mount or dismount and quickly raise it back to the best height for riding. I had this done on my hardtail bike as a retrofit and it works very well. Dropper posts come in different diameters to fit any seat tube on a bike.

Something else to try is having the bike nearly on its side or about a 45 degree angle with the ground. This makes the bike much shorter for swinging a leg over the top tube which is a foot or more closer to the ground. My wife needed to use a curb before she started to lower the bike in this manner.
Old 05-02-22, 08:43 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
I dislocated my left hip replacement mounting my motorcycle to ride to physical therapy. She may want a step-through as a permanent solution. Performance step-throughs are an underserved market. There are no inherent reasons for a step-through to be any different other than a small bit of frame weight added for reinforcement to make up for the missing top tube. Unless you run into a used bike that someone else has modified to suit themselves, you'll probably have to build or modify your own to get what you want.
Old 05-02-22, 08:56 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by rcd
In the interim, however, she wants a step through. I’m thinking a step through (unless one goes super hi-end or custom) is NOT going to give her the stretched-out geometry of a road or touring bike. But she does NOT want an upright, large saddle, urban cruiser.
If willing to go custom, R+E Cycles (Rodriguez) in Seattle can build you one. Can opt for custom fit/geometry. Can do flat bar, upright bar, drop bar. Can do a variety of gearing. And they have a step-through frame option. With a geometry that fits her well, either of their steel options (Reynolds 725 or Velospec HS) can feel quite "athletic."

https://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/adv...ture-main.html

Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-02-22, 11:08 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I dislocated my left hip replacement mounting my motorcycle to ride to physical therapy. She may want a step-through as a permanent solution. Performance step-throughs are an underserved market. There are no inherent reasons for a step-through to be any different other than a small bit of frame weight added for reinforcement to make up for the missing top tube. Unless you run into a used bike that someone else has modified to suit themselves, you'll probably have to build or modify your own to get what you want.
get the step thru and change the riser bars to flat bar, immediate more aggressive riding position.
Old 05-02-22, 12:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
While it is true that a road cyclist will find it difficult to find a step-thru with a similar position, they do exist.

A Vent Noir mixte recently sold here on BF C&V sales. It was a deal, too.
Reynolds 531 tubing, drop bars, nice components, etc.
Old 05-02-22, 12:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
At 70, I’m trying to anticipate future needs…..

This mixte was originally sold with drop bars, so I can convert back if this were to become the only style of bike I could mount/dismount safely.
Old 05-02-22, 05:37 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the posts and useful info/insights. This growing old ain't for sissies, that's for sure! I'm 76 this summer and can still ride my Cannondale T800 -- now more than 20 years old -- pretty comfortably, even with a fake knee. I'm missing my favourite riding partner, though, IN THE SHORT TERM! (caps on not by accident). We're still working on solutions....
Likes For rcd: