Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New Helmets....Less Vents? Atmos

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-28-22, 06:37 PM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I started getting back into cycling and I noticed my old Atmos from 2007 helmet has seen better days, mainly cosmetic. I started searching for similar helmets and find it hard to find anything comparable in terms of venting. They all are basically a bubble with 18 or so vents where my old one had 26. Am I going to die tomorrow if I use my old Atmos? I know you are supposed to replace your helmet every 5 years, but can they not make helmets that are cool anymore? I have thick hair and just seeing the pictures of those old new helmets looks to be a hot sweaty mess. Am I the only one who wants cooling AND safety? Maybe you cant have both?
Old 04-29-22, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Maybe you just need to look at more than one new helmet?

What about these....

https://www.giro.com/p/aether-mips-r...300000099.html

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=320642-187323

And there are less expensive too.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...yproperty:Road

Now that I've done some of your leg work, you'll have to do the rest to see all the other options for well ventilated helmets.

Am I going to die tomorrow if I use my old Atmos?
You might die anytime anywhere. It's likely it'll still give you better protection than nothing at all. Though if you can afford it, get another. My helmet is due for replacement.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-29-22 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-29-22, 11:51 AM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See, I don't want more than one helmet. I just want one good one, rather than multiple bad ones, more isn't always better.
I have seen the Giro Aether with its less than stellar vents and motorcycle bubble look, and the S-works more of the same. You have to admit those are a far cry from 26 vents. Sorry if I made it sounds like I didn't search for helmets myself with similar or comparable specs in terms of venting. I don't expect you to shop for me, its more of a "What changed in cycling helmets to cause this shift?" question.

But.....
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's likely it'll still give you better protection than nothing at all.
My question about dying wile using the Atmos was mostly facetious, but a Mfgr of helmets would want you to believe you might. Like I said I have been out of the game for a while, are these older helmets dangerous? If that's case I'll suck it up and strap one of those tupperwares to my head and die of natural heat strokes (joking btw).
Old 04-29-22, 03:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Between the 80 dollar helmets and the 300 dollar helmets sold here in the USA and a name brand helmet, I doubt you find any that are a poor choice for your protection.

The difference between the 3 star helmets and the 5 star helmets is still subject to a lot of opinion because they can't test for every situation and angle that your noggin might get bashed.

I have no idea what your Atmos looks like, but I ride in 85 - 100°F plus temps and my helmet which is one of the two I showed you provides plenty of airflow. Also helmet makers have been advertising that they have improved airflow through helmets by making the holes and tunneling through the helmet more aerodynamic.

So based on that, it might be that counting holes and equating that to good airflow is not a reliable method.
Old 05-01-22, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

So based on that, it might be that counting holes and equating that to good airflow is not a reliable method.

Especially if you're comparing non-MIPS to MIPS helmets (or other designs to deal with rotational effects). We can figure a lot of reengineering has had to go into ventilation consistent with structural changes prevalent in the industry. Strikes me that fewer better placed and better shaped vents makes a lot of sense when essentially the 2022 version of a helmet is more likely "a helmet within a helmet" than a 2007 model.
Old 05-01-22, 06:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
My first thought is that fewer well designed holes could work better than more poorly designed holes.
Old 05-07-22, 11:16 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Here in southern AZ my number one priority is ventilation. Giro Aether. Done.

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-11-22, 05:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by greyghost_6
So I started getting back into cycling and I noticed my old Atmos from 2007 helmet has seen better days, mainly cosmetic. I started searching for similar helmets and find it hard to find anything comparable in terms of venting. They all are basically a bubble with 18 or so vents where my old one had 26. Am I going to die tomorrow if I use my old Atmos? I know you are supposed to replace your helmet every 5 years, but can they not make helmets that are cool anymore? I have thick hair and just seeing the pictures of those old new helmets looks to be a hot sweaty mess. Am I the only one who wants cooling AND safety? Maybe you cant have both?

There are plenty of modern helmets with great ventilation. It's not just about how many holes they happen to have. I have a Lazer Genesis (G1) which vents really well and is rated highly for safety.
Old 05-12-22, 12:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
that S-Works Prevail II Vent helmet looks terrific
Old 05-14-22, 02:59 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
I'm sticking with my 2009 Bell Array, because not only does it have better venting than current offerings I've seen (from Bell, Giro...), but it covers more of the side of my head. I'm not going to pay out money and get less protection.
Old 05-14-22, 03:35 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
It’s not just the holes, it’s the holes combined with the inner channels that ventilate your noggin. If you skeletonize the shell with too many holes, risk of cracking and whatnot goes up. Ventilation balanced with required strength. My guess, some of Giro’s new helmets are an improvement over your old helmet design.
Old 05-16-22, 02:39 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that S-Works Prevail II Vent helmet looks terrific
I have the Prevail II (non vent) and it already has great venting and airflow. Very comfortable to wear also. I highly recommend it as a helmet.
Likes For KJ43: