Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this tire pooched?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this tire pooched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 12:30 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Is this tire pooched?

I was out for a ride today and blew a tire, I came off a path and it was a bit gravely but I was going slow and being cautious. Anyway the tire let go, The sealant almost got it but not quite. I stopped, and put a patch on the inside of the tire. There still seemed to be a good bit of sealant left. I got it up to pressure and it held. Luckily I was only 15km from home so I bee-lined it. It held, and is still holding, but I don't have a lot of confidence in it. I think I might look into a plug kit. The tire is a Pirelli P-One 700x28 TLR tire with only 250km on it.

I know **** happens but I'm a little gunshy to order another P-One since for some reason I can get Conti GP 5k for not much more than half the price. I'd appreciate some input

Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 05-13-22, 03:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
what do you value more? old rubber or your collarbone?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-13-22, 05:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Looks like it’s the rear tire…? If so, I’d run it. Worst that happens is it goes flat while you’re riding and you put in a tube. It’s highly unlikely to cause you to crash or anything else catastrophic.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-13-22, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Is this tire pooched?
The answer is in your title!

Doesn't look inflated. For cuts like that when inflated to riding pressure, my go no-go is if the sides around the cut pooch out like a grandma's lips wanting a kiss . Especially if a tubed tire and the tube pooches out. No one wants to be french kissed by grand ma!

Though if I had to get home, I'd ride it as long as it lasted. And if it lasted all the way home, I might ride it some more just to see. Unless my upcoming rides were important to me or group rides where I might be a hinderance to the group or at least the butt of some virulent jesting and picking. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 05-13-22 at 08:57 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-13-22, 08:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
II stopped, and put a patch on the inside of the tire. There still seemed to be a good bit of sealant left. I got it up to pressure and it held. Luckily I was only 15km from home so I bee-lined it. It held, and is still holding, but I don't have a lot of confidence in it. I think I might look into a plug kit.
As long as you used a proper tubeless patch, which are stronger than for tubes, it will probably be OK but carry a tube just in case. Not likely a plug will work for a cut. Plugs work OK for smaller round holes.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-13-22, 09:14 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I would sure take a good look at it mounted and inflated before trying it. Like always, it's your call. Even if I did try it, it would likely be driving me crazy and I would switch it out in the end.
Old 05-13-22, 09:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
wow, learn something new everyday. I'm fairly ignorant about tubeless. I'd bet a dollar, if it wasn't tubeless, everyone would be advising to chuck it
Old 05-13-22, 09:19 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
GP5000 1/2 price = $50
Dental copay = $50
Piece of mind = Priceless
Old 05-13-22, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The answer is in your title!

Doesn't look inflated. For cuts like that when inflated to riding pressure, my go no-go is if the sides around the cut pooch out like a grandma's lips wanting a kiss . Especially if a tubed tire and the tube pooches out. No one wants to be french kissed by grand ma!

Though if I had to get home, I'd ride it as long as it lasted. And if it lasted all the way home, I might ride it some more just to see. Unless my upcoming rides were important to me or group rides where I might be a hinderance to the group or at least the butt of some virulent jesting and picking. <grin>
Ah, I didn't notice that. Then yeah, I agree with this.
Old 05-13-22, 09:44 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
To clear up the confusion, the tire is inflated and at pressure in the pic.

Some good points here. I used a regular patch, I had a tube with me but was hoping this would hold to get me home - which it did. I wasn't aware there are tubeless specific ones so I may try that #1 so I have them in my kit, and #2 so I have a viable spare tire to use in a pinch. Thanks for the heads-up on not using a plug too, I might have tried that. I think I agree with the posters here that say this would nag them. I'm sure I'd be in the same boat before long.
Old 05-14-22, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Since the cut is not pooched out, then none or few of the threads and cords that give strength to your tire were cut. If tire in the picture was inflated to your normal riding pressure, then I'd say no sweat, ride the crap out of the tire.

When patching a tire, if possible reinforced patches that don't stretch much if any, will be better for tires than the rubber patches for tubes that must stretch. IMO though. I have used a piece of sail repair cloth that is self adhesive to patch some small tire cuts. But I already had the sail repair tape, don't know whether it's cost effective for one tire patch.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-14-22, 02:59 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Since the cut is not pooched out, then none or few of the threads and cords that give strength to your tire were cut. If tire in the picture was inflated to your normal riding pressure, then I'd say no sweat, ride the crap out of the tire..
This is key. If the tire has a bulge, the casing is compromised and even if it holds up, that point will wear very quickly. If you're cheap, you can boot it from the inside to prevent failure, but you can't prevent the rapid wear at the bulge point.