Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Square Taper Bottom Bracket Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 11:16 AM
crewdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I noticed that some of my spare Shimano (square taper) bottom brackets have a nonremoveable ring on the drive side (see photo). Does anyone know why this is?
Old 05-14-22, 11:25 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
It forced me to buy a different BB tool.
This is a UN-26, but the ring kept my Shimano TL-UN72 tool from reaching deep enough.
PARK BBT-22 does clear. I just hated to have to buy another tool that does the same thing.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 05-14-22 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-14-22, 05:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
These press fitted rings on the drive side BB axle are locating shoulders for the crank to butt up against. This locating insures the chain line specs are maintained over the years and prevents people from over torquing the retaining bolts resulting in a crank arm that ends up bottomed out on the axle end (or more to the point, the retaining bolt's being bottomed out against the axle end). Sometimes these rings will come loose. As mentioned these rings are not a must. Shimano does take into account the factory assembly issues when they design their parts, sometimes having a detail that many don't consider. Andy
Old 05-14-22, 08:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdog
I noticed that some of my spare Shimano (square taper) bottom brackets have a nonremoveable ring on the drive side (see photo). Does anyone know why this is?
That's to ensure consistent chainring clearance on the drive side. When you install the cartridge, you thread it in until the flange on the cartridge seats against the frame bottom bracket shell. This establishes a known clearance for the appropriate crank to mount on the bottom bracket.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-15-22, 04:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Nothing is ever "non removable"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-15-22, 11:09 AM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's to ensure consistent chainring clearance on the drive side. When you install the cartridge, you thread it in until the flange on the cartridge seats against the frame bottom bracket shell. This establishes a known clearance for the appropriate crank to mount on the bottom bracket.
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-16-22, 12:01 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Just remove it. With a vice it is easy. But you can pry it of using a pliers.I my oppinion that ring belongs in the trash.
Old 05-17-22, 05:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My concern with the ring as a stop for a square taper crank is that it would seem impossible to take into account the depth of every new and used JIS crankset that is in use today.

If it is used as a stop the ring could allow the crank to be properly torqued without being completely seated and effectively ruin the crank arm.

If there is no ring, what’s going to happen if my 40 year old non-Shimano crank needs and extra .1mm of depth to seat?

I guess the answer is to buy a new Shimano square taper crank.

John
Old 05-17-22, 05:54 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My concern with the ring as a stop for a square taper crank is that it would seem impossible to take into account the depth of every new and used JIS crankset that is in use today.
This is what I was thinking when I read the replies above. I guess I could see that ring as something that would prevent a gross "over torque" where the arm is pushed way too far up on the spindle...and the ring is a last-ditch effort to prevent damage to the whole system. But I'm surprised to hear that it's intended to set chainline, and designed so that the crank arm butts up against it. I could see that type of thing working well on a non-tapered spindle, but it seems like there's precious little tolerance for any parts variation in the field with something like this on a tapered spindle design.