Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Adaptalite sunglasses

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 03:47 AM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone know a good place to get them? They seem to be charging MSRP everywhere... no one seems to be budging on the price.

Also, any comments on them would be appreciated!
Old 04-25-06, 03:50 AM
LapDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, avoid them. They don't work.

Well, that may not be a true statement. If you are riding on a cloudy day, and the clouds go from dark to medium, then they are great. But just hope the sun doesn't come out unless you have a pocket to put them in.
Old 04-25-06, 04:35 AM
Willks

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Manta Pro, 2014 Specialized Starburst CruX, 2012 Cannondale CAADX, 2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LapDog
Yea, avoid them. They don't work.

Well, that may not be a true statement. If you are riding on a cloudy day, and the clouds go from dark to medium, then they are great. But just hope the sun doesn't come out unless you have a pocket to put them in.
Bah, they're not that bad!

The lenses adapt great in low light conditions but when the suns at its brightest and directly in your eyes they don't work too well. They don't darken up enough if you ask me. They certainly have some room to improve but they get the job done IMHO. As long as your not staring directly at the sun these will work fine.

One of the guys at my LBS said the road version which has a reddish tint lense to them help accentuate stop lights, brake lights, etc. Specialized also makes a MTN bike version which has a sepia toned lense to it. Supposedly the sepia tone is to help accentuate tree lines and the like. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that but thats how it was explained to me.

BTW, I purchased my pair at my LBS so I'm not sure where else they can be had.
Old 04-25-06, 04:54 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You can only get them at a Specialized dealer...ours didn't charge us full retail...I think I paid $114 for them. As has been said the road version has a different tint which IS darker than the MTB version when both have reached full tint.

I honestly think they are great...no issues with how dark they get...I like the fact that the frame is positioned up higher so it isn't in your vision like my Oakleys...would and will buy again.
Old 04-25-06, 04:56 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i would suggest you check out your local stihl chainsaw dealer for a pair of their safety glasses. sporty frames that are osha approved for ummmm, ten bucks!!!!!

https://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protect_glasses.html
Old 04-25-06, 05:54 AM
Mr. Fierte

Bikes: Serotta Fierte; Specialized FSR120 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resently got a set of Arc's. And they work great. There is a differenece between the lenses intended for off road and road. The road versions are biased towards the darker side when the sun is out but don't get as lights as the off road versions when the light level is lower. My main reason for choosing the Arc is the frameless design. While riding I never see the edges of the lenses or have a frame blocking my view. When in a full tuck in the drops I'm still looking through the lens, not over it. Expensive but worth every cent in my opinion.
Old 04-25-06, 06:01 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Arc's are and excellent fit and the one to go for if you spend any kind of time on the drops. As Mr Fierte states, you get complete coverage even when in a very low position. I got a set in order to eliminate neck pain (was having to look up with my old glasses when riding on the drops) and it did the job. For that reason it was worth the money to me. Can't comment on its effectiveness under very bright sunlight as the sun hasn't been out yet cos of crappy english weather! I used the Singletrack glasses all of last year on the road and they were fine, the road lenses are supposedly darker.

If you watch ebay religiously you might find a cheap pair, but very difficult, believe me I've tried. I was lucky, I happened to be in the right place at the right time and bagged a new pair for 40% off from a guy on an MTB forum.
Old 04-25-06, 09:43 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I found a pair of the Mtn. Bike version at a Supergo sale for $49.00 The road version is darker and a different tint color. I would have preferred the road version to the Mtn., but the price was right. The lenses have been perfect for dark early morning rides (4 am to 6 am) and the ventilation is very good (no fogging).