Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shipping v. selling my bike.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 04:42 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so here's the deal:

I'm moving (back) to Western New York from Southern California. I bought a bike here, and obviously I'm going to have to either sell it quick or ship it with me.

Regarding selling it, here's why I'm thinking of that: I know very little about my bike, but from what little I've gathered, it is worth more than I paid for it. It's a 19XX Griffen road bike, I'm guessing maybe from around '97 or so. I have no idea what the value of it is, though. I have no idea how I'd find that out. If I sell it, I obviously don't want to get ripped off. It's a pretty nice bike, but it doesn't fit me very well, so maybe I should get rid of it. Does anyone know how I can figure out an approximate value of my bike?

But I do like the bike, and I doubt I can make a sale of the bike within only a week's time. I imagine that shipping a bike is ridiculously expensive, though. To anyone who has shipped a bike in the past, about how much did it cost you and how did you do it?
Old 10-29-09, 05:22 PM
gr@sshopper

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38 bucks ups ground. One of the local shops will pack and ship for 75.
Old 10-29-09, 07:16 PM
ImaPoser
It's supposed to do that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell it for what you paid for it. If you really got a smoking deal on it, you should be able to do that in a weeks time. Yo don't have the time to be worried about getting top dollar for it. I would consider it a huge success to be able to use a bike for free for however long you've had it.
Old 10-29-09, 07:47 PM
Jaeger

Bikes: Rocky Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you have a few different excuses to get a new bike. Moving, doesn't fit well, etc.

I'd sell it to the first offer and use the opportunity to get what you'd really like.
Old 10-29-09, 07:47 PM
Jaeger

Bikes: Rocky Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you have a few different excuses to get a new bike. Moving, doesn't fit well, etc.

I'd sell it to the first offer and use the opportunity to get what you'd really like.
Old 10-29-09, 09:33 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I bought a bike here, and obviously I'm going to have to either sell it quick or ship it with me."

First, my sincere condolences for the move to New York from Southern California.

Secondly, you want a new bike. Get a new one. And you don't have to sell your bike. Give it away, or donate it to charity, and move on with your life.

I did the reverse this year, shipping a bike I purchased and rode in Manhattan to my home in Los Angeles. About $65 via Fed Ex ground; I had it in three days.
Old 10-29-09, 10:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Sell it and get one that fits.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-30-09, 05:53 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
depending on your financial status, i agree with icyclist, either sell it off cheaply for a quick sale or donate it. there is no use in keeping a bike that doesnt fit you, it will probably be more of a hassle to deal with than anything when moving cross country.

and also agree on the condolences of moving from sunny CA to snowy western NY
Old 10-30-09, 09:07 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Break down your bike by taking the wheels, bars and seat post/saddle off. Pile them together and get a solid idea of the dimensions.

Go to UPS and purchase the packing materials. Get bubble wrap, peanuts, large box and tape. Bring it back home and pack your bike.

Wrap each item and place in the box. Then fill with peanuts. Go to UPS, ship it yourself and save money.
Old 10-30-09, 09:15 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NickDavid
Break down your bike by taking the wheels, bars and seat post/saddle off. Pile them together and get a solid idea of the dimensions.

Go to UPS and purchase the packing materials. Get bubble wrap, peanuts, large box and tape. Bring it back home and pack your bike.

Wrap each item and place in the box. Then fill with peanuts. Go to UPS, ship it yourself and save money.
yea, as an alternate to that do the same, but sell or get rid of the frame, it will be the most awkward/largest piece, and is also the piece that doesnt fit you. start with a new frame when you get to ny.
Old 10-30-09, 02:13 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with me selling it for what I paid is that $500 won't get me really anything in return. I mean, this was probably a $2,000-3,000 bike when it was new. Griffen apparently hand-built their bikes and did so with some proprietary compound of materials, but that's about all I can find out about the bike. If I'm only going to get $500, I might as well just continue using it.
Old 10-30-09, 02:18 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Ah, there ya go! You are now rationalizing...once you do that, you may already have made up your mind. Might as well continue using it. Save up for another bike and keep your vintage.