Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just Ordered 2016 Cannondale CAAD12 105 Rim!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 01:16 PM
ADAOCE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just got back from my LBS after ordering CAAD12 105. I rode a 60 cm CAAD10 as it was all they had near my size (63 cm - 6' 5" 195 lbs) and it felt great! I rode a couple carbon offerings in my price range and though I could tell a slight difference in feel, it wasn't enough to spend more money and get inferior components.

Has anyone else placed an order yet?! I'm coming from a Trek 7.3 FX that I bought last year so this is my first road bike. I did the typical new cyclist thing where I go with the performance hybrid because I don't know if I'll like "drop bars" and then quickly realized I like to go fast and ride long distances so I wanted a real road bike.

Thanks
Old 07-18-15, 02:38 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
60 felt great so you ordered a 63?
Old 07-18-15, 02:56 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Unless you rode the CAAD for a several hours, how do you know it is the right bike for you after the Trek?

Geometry is rather aggressive.
Old 07-18-15, 03:00 PM
HornedFrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty interested in them and look forward to test riding one. Did they give you a delivery date?
Old 07-18-15, 03:37 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fstshrk
Unless you rode the CAAD for a several hours, how do you know it is the right bike for you after the Trek?

Geometry is rather aggressive.
Coming from that Trek I doubt he could ever know just by a long test ride, regardless of new geometry.
He has been riding a year and believes he is ready for the new bike.
Good for him.
Congrats on the impending new bike!
Enjoy!
Old 07-18-15, 04:12 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
60 felt great so you ordered a 63?
I should clarify... the bike road smoother than what I expected from hearing peoples opinions on aluminum road bikes and coming from my Trek. The bike was a bit small so I ordered the 63.
Old 07-18-15, 04:15 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew I wouldnt be able to really judge unless they let me take a bike for a couple days or so but I have the stem slammed on my FX with 25 mm tires and I kinda just realized that I think im looking for a different type of bike. Im young and fit so I'll be able to adapt to the aggressive position. Also rode a super six evo, synapse and a Giant Defy Advanced 2.
Old 07-18-15, 04:16 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAOCE
I should clarify... the bike road smoother than what I expected from hearing peoples opinions on aluminum road bikes and coming from my Trek. The bike was a bit small so I ordered the 63.
The CAAD12 should be more comfortable/compliant than the 10 based on literature. But i had a 9 and 10 and they were plenty comfortable to me for a aluminum race bike
Old 07-18-15, 04:16 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HornedFrog
I'm pretty interested in them and look forward to test riding one. Did they give you a delivery date?
105 Rim brake ships on 25 August

105 Disk ships in Otober

Ultegra Rim ships early September

Ultegra Disk ships in likely late September/early October

Thats all I was considering so thats all i know

EDIT: I got the guy down to $1450 on a $1680 bike. Most shops were saying they could get me around 1550. I had one offer of 1600 out the door in New Hampshire (no sales tax) and the local guy came back with 1450.

The 105 Disk MSRP is $1970
Ultegra Rim MSRP is $2270
Ultegra Disk MSRP is $2560

Last edited by ADAOCE; 07-18-15 at 04:25 PM. Reason: adding price info
Old 07-18-15, 04:19 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Coming from that Trek I doubt he could ever know just by a long test ride, regardless of new geometry.
He has been riding a year and believes he is ready for the new bike.
Good for him.
Congrats on the impending new bike!
Enjoy!
Thanks man! My thoughts exactly. Ive gained a ton of fitness over the last year. I know I need a road only bike to really see what I can do. Keeping up with the LBS group rides is a ****ing nightmare on the FX but it gets respect to an extent haha
Old 07-18-15, 04:20 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CAAD12 should be more comfortable/compliant than the 10 based on literature. But i had a 9 and 10 and they were plenty comfortable to me for a aluminum race bike
Right, the 10 was a great ride and if the 12 is supposed to be better I have no worries about it. I got the green 105 version which looks awesome, just wish it was matte finish!
Old 07-18-15, 04:42 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should enjoy the heck out of that bike! The local race team has been riding them for months now and love them. I took this pic a couple weeks ago on our group ride.....

And, yes, if you're truly 6'5", 63cm sounds about right. Stack & reach start to flip as the bikes get larger. They really only get *taller* after the 58cm. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs and I ride a 60cm with perfect comfort. I can ride 58 and I've also ridden a Spesh 61 before so lots of ways to configure "close", especially when you're taller. The 60 & 63 C'dales are really closer to 59 and 61.

You must post pics asap!
Old 07-18-15, 05:49 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks man! My thoughts exactly. Ive gained a ton of fitness over the last year. I know I need a road only bike to really see what I can do. Keeping up with the LBS group rides is a ****ing nightmare on the FX but it gets respect to an extent haha
I hope the shorter head tube fits you well.

Nice bike, enjoy
Old 07-18-15, 08:35 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
You should enjoy the heck out of that bike! The local race team has been riding them for months now and love them. I took this pic a couple weeks ago on our group ride.....

And, yes, if you're truly 6'5", 63cm sounds about right. Stack & reach start to flip as the bikes get larger. They really only get *taller* after the 58cm. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs and I ride a 60cm with perfect comfort. I can ride 58 and I've also ridden a Spesh 61 before so lots of ways to configure "close", especially when you're taller. The 60 & 63 C'dales are really closer to 59 and 61.

You must post pics asap!
Nice pic. I am going to look into crit racing next year. That looks like the solid lime green frame I wish they were offering that color on the lower models. The dura ace disk paintjob is pretty slick. I think the paintjobs they are offering for the 12s a little better looking than the 10s. But that's me and aesthetics are subjective.

I would love to post pictures but I have to wait till Tue end of August to get it

I'll post it to " post your bike" thread when I get it.
Old 07-18-15, 08:40 PM
typehxr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just got back from my LBS after ordering CAAD12 105. I rode a 60 cm CAAD10 as it was all they had near my size (63 cm - 6' 5" 195 lbs) and it felt great! I rode a couple carbon offerings in my price range and though I could tell a slight difference in feel, it wasn't enough to spend more money and get inferior components.

Has anyone else placed an order yet?! I'm coming from a Trek 7.3 FX that I bought last year so this is my first road bike. I did the typical new cyclist thing where I go with the performance hybrid because I don't know if I'll like "drop bars" and then quickly realized I like to go fast and ride long distances so I wanted a real road bike.

Thanks
Congrats on the order! i just splurged on a SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod myself. Question: If you changed you mind and wanted the Ultegra version instead, would your LBS let you pay the difference and upgrade?
Old 07-18-15, 09:25 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typehxr1
Congrats on the order! i just splurged on a SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod myself. Question: If you changed you mind and wanted the Ultegra version instead, would your LBS let you pay the difference and upgrade?
Thanks! Im sure you'll be pleased with your purchase as well.

Im sure if wanted to I could go and get a price for it and as long as they still have allotments of the ultegra available on that order I probably could.

It's tempting but I need to save some money for a few accessories
Old 07-18-15, 09:31 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And at this point, there's no need to go Ultegra vs 105, especially if you want to save a few bucks. The difference is nil. I test rode a Fuji something or other recently with 105 5800 just for fun and aside from subtle differences in the bike frame/geometry, the shifting/gearing/etc felt EXACTLY like my Ultegra 6800 which I only got cuz mine's a '14 which was 6800 or 5700 so I tilted to 6800.

You've made a great purchase!!!
Old 07-18-15, 09:40 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, it seeemed like the best way to go with the bikes I was considering. I agree completely on the 5800 vs 6800. I rode both and I know I'll be fine with 105.

I looked in the dealer book for giant and it showed the new tiagra groupset and it looks just like ultegra. Not sure how many gears but the lbs owner said he thinks it will make the 105 hard to sell. It's going to start to make some affordable carbon bikes with actually decent components.
Old 07-20-15, 09:45 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested in hearing specifics of the feedback the folks on the race team have about the CAAD12? I have an Ultegra disc on order. Delivery September 1st...

Old 07-20-15, 09:53 AM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
I would be interested in hearing specifics of the feedback the folks on the race team have about the CAAD12? I have an Ultegra disc on order. Delivery September 1st...
I second this. At least it not October like the 105 Disk.. I have a feeling the month of august is going to be a lot longer now
Old 07-20-15, 10:11 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the Cult

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...cult-caad.html
Old 07-22-15, 05:08 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. This caad12 is in my top contenders for my purchase coming up. I never thought I'd be looking at aluminum (was looking at steel or carbon) but cannondales alumunium has me very interested
Old 07-22-15, 05:36 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

You must post pics asap!
Race team is riding with saddle and bar level??? Should have 12 inches saddle to bar drop minimum !
Old 07-22-15, 07:29 PM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Race team is riding with saddle and bar level??? Should have 12 inches saddle to bar drop minimum !
Ha ha....a bit of optical illusion there, actually. That particular racer is Hunter Grove. To say he's fast would be a bit of an understatement. He's about 6'1" and that CAAD12 might be a 58cm frame. There's actually a good bit of drop on his regular EVO (a 56cm) but he's got that SMP Selle banana saddle on there too so sometimes hard to perceive. Nevertheless, if you check a lot of Strava segments in the So Cal area....his name comes up.....A LOT! He could beat most of us here on the 41 riding a beach cruiser & changing hits clothes mid-ride...LOL
Old 07-24-15, 02:58 PM
ADAOCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
Congrats on your purchase. This caad12 is in my top contenders for my purchase coming up. I never thought I'd be looking at aluminum (was looking at steel or carbon) but cannondales alumunium has me very interested
Thanks. My thoughts exactly. I was looking at carbon but was really impressed by the bike itself and the overall popularity of CAAD in general. I think ill get some use out of it and then some. I can easily upgrade this bike as parts wear out and it will get even lighter, wheels too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.