Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you get a job without a car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do you get a job without a car?

Old 01-23-16, 06:01 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
LCF is the biggest obstacle and hindrance to career advancement.
Hardly. Common sense and education and work ethic are much bigger obstacles. LCF need not be much of a factor in many fields of work like my own (software development). In my work people are looking for those with the ability to take on challenging projects and get the work done at a high level of quality and success within a reasonable time-frame. This makes aspects of my personal life like LCF become invisible to my employer.
Old 01-24-16, 03:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
I haven't posted here in years, so hi to everyone.

Anyway, I do my job from home. I teach classical piano and music theory, and for extra income I have an online job that I do here and there on my computer.
I remember some interesting posts from you. Welcome back!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-24-16, 04:10 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
LCF is the biggest obstacle and hindrance to career advancement.
Trolling.
Old 01-24-16, 04:13 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Hardly. Common sense and education and work ethic are much bigger obstacles. LCF need not be much of a factor in many fields of work like my own (software development). In my work people are looking for those with the ability to take on challenging projects and get the work done at a high level of quality and success within a reasonable time-frame. This makes aspects of my personal life like LCF become invisible to my employer.
I assume you mean a lack of common sense, education and work ethic are bigger obstacles. I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-24-16, 07:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
And how is somebody supposed to prove and demonstrate their common sense, education, experience and work ethic to an employer if that person has no transportation to get to an interview and then get to their job daily on time ??... This whole idea that everybody has a lot of well paying jobs waiting for them all within a walking distance of their home is all false, it's a fantasy only believed by a small group of LCF posters on this forum...Majority of LCF'ers on this forum are absolutely clueless about the difficulties and challenges that a car-free person faces when looking for career advancement opportunities.
Old 01-24-16, 09:19 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Majority of LCF'ers on this forum are absolutely clueless about the difficulties and challenges that a car-free person faces when looking for career advancement opportunities.
Generalize much?
Old 01-24-16, 09:38 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
And how is somebody supposed to prove and demonstrate their common sense, education, experience and work ethic to an employer if that person has no transportation to get to an interview and then get to their job daily on time ??... This whole idea that everybody has a lot of well paying jobs waiting for them all within a walking distance of their home is all false, it's a fantasy only believed by a small group of LCF posters on this forum...Majority of LCF'ers on this forum are absolutely clueless about the difficulties and challenges that a car-free person faces when looking for career advancement opportunities.
It depends what type of job you're looking for. My son is a recent software grad and takes the bus to work and walks home (8km). He lives in the city now but also worked downtown when he was living at home during summers by taking the bus. He's always had a car or access to one but finds it more convenient to use public transportation.
Old 01-24-16, 10:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
He's always had a car or access to one but finds it more convenient to use public transportation.
Isn't that the reason most people use public transportation, whether they are car free or not, it's considered better by the traveler (more convenient, economical, timely or whatever) than the available alternatives for that specific trip?
Is commuting to work or school by public transportation when it is more convenient than using the family car now the new definition of "car free living"?
Old 01-24-16, 01:22 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who says you need a job within walking distance to live carfree? I'm carfree and my employment is a 40 mile RT bicycle commute. I have mass transit options too. You don't need a car to get to work reliably and on time. In fact a car is a disadvantage if you want a consistent commute time.
Old 01-24-16, 03:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Who says you need a job within walking distance to live carfree? I'm carfree and my employment is a 40 mile RT bicycle commute. I have mass transit options too. You don't need a car to get to work reliably and on time. In fact a car is a disadvantage if you want a consistent commute time.
If I had a 40 mile RT commute I would definitely be driving and I would also try moving closer to work if possible... No way I would be wasting 3-4 hours a day with a bus/bike commute. The problem with buses is that there are too many transfers and too much waiting involved in between... For me anything longer then 22 miles RT and I would be getting a vehicle. If my commute changed and biking was taking too long then I would be buy a vehicle, I am not a big fan of buses.
Old 01-24-16, 06:39 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
40 miles RT is a stretch under many if not most circumstances. I had a 42 mile RT commute I did for a while using public transportation. Not working set hours, my commute was 3 to 5 hours a day depending on time of day, and day of the week. That's not practical, or realistic for most people.
I didn't consider cycling an option as I was working as a mover at that time.
Old 01-24-16, 07:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah, for me, 15 km round trip is comfortable for a commute ... I could probably push it to 20 km round trip. My commute in Winnipeg was 13.6 km round trip and that was lovely. I had the option of doing just that amount or I could go longer if I wanted. I could also ride different routes if I felt so inclined.

But anything over about 20 km round trip would only be an occasional thing for me for a number of reasons including:

-- I have other stuff I want to do with my day.

-- I ride longer distances on the weekends and don't want to wear myself out during the week.
Old 01-24-16, 09:18 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Why do they care about your credit history? What does that have to do with whether or not you'd be a good employee?
You're right and employers will ask you to sign a document during the interview to access your credit history. If you fail to sign the document, they will never hire you! It's sad but I suspect you would have to change names and social security number several times to confuse the computers.
Old 01-24-16, 09:33 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Why do they care about your credit history? What does that have to do with whether or not you'd be a good employee?
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
You're right and employers will ask you to sign a document during the interview to access your credit history. If you fail to sign the document, they will never hire you! It's sad but I suspect you would have to change names and social security number several times to confuse the computers.
From the Ladders,

"Worried that recent economic travails have blemished your credit report? That those mortgage payments that went out a few days late might catch up with you? Or the cable bill you let slide for an entire month might come up in a background check and keep you from landing the job you really want?
Take heart: Your credit score is rarely used to disqualify job seekers for most positions, and there are steps you can take to minimize any damage an employer might find, recruiters and credit experts told TheLadders. To protect yourself, it’s helpful to know what your credit report can and cannot tell potential employees about you.
Many hiring companies use credit reports to glean the most accurate identifying details for a candidate, including his full name and previous addresses. In general, though, research rarely goes further, said Kevin Connell, founder and CEO of AccuScreen, a firm that performs pre-employment screenings for hiring companies in retail, healthcare, technology and banking.
One exception: Most companies will run a full credit report on any candidate who would have access to the company’s finances. “For candidates that would have financial oversight responsibilities, credit checks are even more important,” Connell said. A consistent pattern of living beyond your means and/or a high debt ratio could be a red flag to recruiters and employers that you’re not the right fit."
Old 01-24-16, 11:05 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Really?

Is this if you apply for work at a specific company ... like maybe a bank or something?

I have never had an employer check my credit history. Never. And I've worked in two countries. I've even been employed by the government. None of my employers have cared about my credit history.
Old 01-25-16, 01:35 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
... if that person has no transportation to get to an interview and then get to their job daily on time ??...
You seem to be thinking that having no car is the same as having no transportation. That's just silly! We were talking about being carfree, not about being too damned stupid to travel by bike, transit, or whatever.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-25-16, 05:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

What planet are your from ??...I never ever had any employer ask me about my credit history. The only places which check my credit history are banks when applying for a loan, mortage, or credit card. Also many landlords check the persons credit history before allowing them to rent. Employers never do that...DL is what many employers require.
Old 01-25-16, 06:29 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What planet are your from ??...I never ever had any employer ask me about my credit history. The only places which check my credit history are banks when applying for a loan, mortage, or credit card. Also many landlords check the persons credit history before allowing them to rent. Employers never do that...DL is what many employers require.
Has it not occurred to you that he lives in another country and that the laws and customs might be different there?
Old 01-25-16, 02:32 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Has it not occurred to you that he lives in another country and that the laws and customs might be different there?
Canadian background check.

Excuse me, are you a nice, dependable person?
Old 01-30-16, 12:06 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I guess I have always approached this differently. I don't apply for jobs that I think are too annoying to get to. Whether that means the traffic sucks. Or there is not transit. Or too many transit connections. Or whatever. There have been plenty of jobs I have been referred to or thought about interviewing at where I openly said, this is a bad fit due to the commute.

I have had people ask, and hint around how will you get to work, but no one has actually cared how I got there in a long time. They just wanted to make sure I wouldn't jump due to an annoying commute.

Now my sister doesn't drive and has no license. She has chosen to live in metro areas where transit exists and she lives close to it. She is considering a job with a less convenient transit route. Do able, but not ideal. It is a dream job for her, so it will be interesting to see how she makes her decision.
Old 12-18-20, 06:20 AM
HardHard
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are jobs where you don't need to have a car. I think you should go for it on https://uk.jooble.org/jobs-scaffolding/London and find something worthy. Personally, I found my first job here, I didn't have work experience at all and this is such a rare thing and a rare chance to find a job being a student.

Last edited by HardHard; 12-21-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-18-20, 08:17 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Just apply for the job that you're qualified and go to work. It doesn't matter how you get to work. I haven't owned a car since 2005. People don't get it. You have uber, bicycling, public transportation. If you need get an ebike or a motorscooter. Buying a car is a money pit. Investing the money that you make will make you wealthier than owning a car.
Likes For alloo:
Old 12-18-20, 07:14 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 379 Posts
I have been working from home for some 5 years now. It is wonderful not to have to commute, for the 6 years before I became self employed I used public transportation. Tokyo has a very efficient public transportation system, but it is always very busy, and usually standing room only. Sometimes there isn't room to stand. It is interesting to find yourself yourself being pushed and carried into a train by a crowd of people pressed around you It is more interesting when you look at the train when the doors open, see that the train looks completely full, yet you and hundreds of others still find a way go get pushed in.

I don't miss those days. My commute is 20 or so steps to my home office. I do have a car, which I use to escape the city from time to time.
Old 12-30-20, 06:16 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I personally don't buy into "what I do dictates who I am". I also maintain a strict 5 mile one way rule. Individual results may vary but I personally don't care if I stack boards or fry French fries...I do care if I can't ride to work! In the last 7 years i have bought 5 vehicles...all for the ladies I have had in my life. I truly detest riding in a car, on a bus, etc. My bike is my solace. A true extension of myself. Sounds fanatical I know...but I am! I love to pedal. Love the adversity. I live in the pacific northwest. Spokane for ever, now Idaho. I ride 365. Rain, shine, blizzard, heatwave. I don't care as long as I sit saddle.
Old 12-31-20, 01:57 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I turn up at job interviews with my folded Brompton and walk right in with it.
Likes For Ekdog:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.