Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New member... new question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-17-17, 12:46 AM
T2theK

Bikes: Specialized P1 All Mountain, BMC Teammachine ALR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum and road biking. I've been MTB for about 7 years now but since getting stationed in Hawaii I want to partake in its all year good weather. My Specialized All Mountain isn't cutting it for me on the roads anymore. I've pursued CL and BD but I'm just not familiar with brands on this side. I see the ones I do know as they make fantastic MTB's (Specialized, Trek, Giant & Cannondale) but I can't get a read on whats good for somebody who already rides but isn't looking to do a TDF kind of ride. Don't get me wrong, I intend on logging some miles but I'm not doing it for competition. With that said, I think I may have narrowed down my deals to 2 possiblities: 1)BD has a Fuji Transonic 2.9 w/ 105 groupset at $999 plus shipping to HI or 2)LBS has a BMC Teammachine ALR01 w/ 105 groupset used (rentals on island for mainlanders) for $799. Which would be better for a 1st road bike on somewhat of a budget?
Old 03-17-17, 01:06 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Just one random internet stranger's opinion, but the frame on that Fuji is hideous-- and proof that carbon doesn't mean lighter, it weighs (slightly) more than the BMC. Component-wise, they're very similar. The BMC at $200 cheaper, and bought local, seems a better deal to me. Buy local when possible. Of course, ride the BMC first-- you might love it, you might hate it. You wouldn't know with the Fuji until the money was already spent.
Old 03-17-17, 05:01 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bmc from your lbs. helps you establish a relationship with your lbs as well for help with service.
Old 03-17-17, 05:44 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fuji makes great bikes - or at least they used to (and I'm assuming they still do). I have a 2012 Fuji SST that is one of the better bikes I've owned. However I did also buy it at an LBS. If you buy from BD unless you are really good at working on bikes plan on taking to the lbs and having them go over it.
Old 03-17-17, 05:52 AM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I forgot to mention...I'd also try to negotiate the price on that BMC, either the price directly, or try to ask for service or discount on other purchases such as clothes, shoes, saddle bag, helmet, etc. because the price seems a little high for a rental.
Old 03-17-17, 06:10 AM
stykthyn

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly the price on the BMC seems on point considering the economic area you are in. I wouldn't try to haggle much but I would be more concerned about warranty/maintenance work from the shop at a future date. Try and work out some kind of deal there if you can.
Old 03-17-17, 06:24 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in agreement with those that said the BMC is a smart choice. Price is on, BMC is a great company, and the Teammachine is a great bike. The ONLY consideration I would add is that the Teammachine is a Race bike and the geometry is pretty aggressive, so, you'll be bent over a lot more. ask that LBS if they Have a BMC Roadmachine or what their selection of Endurance bikes are.. Just my opinion.. but the more relaxed geometry of an Endurance bike may be more favorable.

I always wanted to get stationed in Hawaii, but it never happened. You lucked out!

Last edited by motosonic; 03-17-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 06:28 AM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Considering the bike was a rental, it's prob a little high. Think about what a rental car looks like after 30 or 40k miles and compare it to your own car. People don't treat rental stuff like their own. That decreases value. The bike is not simply "used".
Old 03-17-17, 06:47 AM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering the BMC sold for 1600 dollars I'd say that half off is pretty fair. Comparing a bike to a car in terms of maintenance is a little skewed.
I just 105 swapped an early 90s cannondale, groupset, wheels, and tires has me in at 600 dollars. If I had the opportunity to purchase a similarly equipped bike that I could sit on and test for a couple hundred more I would have been all over it.
Old 03-17-17, 07:04 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I stopped reading after, "... since getting stationed in Hawaii." You lucky bassturd.

Get the BMC.
Old 03-17-17, 09:37 AM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not suggesting the price is completely out of line, but there's always room for negotiation. They can always say no, but you never know what you can get if you don't ask. I totally missed the stationed thing too. He's probably not going to be moving a bunch of stuff from HI to wherever he's going when he's done there, so he'll definitely take less of a cost hit selling the BMC for a second time then selling the new Fuji for the first time.
Old 03-17-17, 06:16 PM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice everybody. I got a hold of my friend here who road bikes out here & who got me thinking of road biking myself and he said the BMC would be a good deal especially for the groupset that's on it. I wouldn't have to sell it when I move since they pay to ship all my stuff. Heck, I even had them ship my snowboard here that I used coming from NH. Back to the topic at hand, the bike is only a year old, the LBS sells their fleet of rentals every year to make room for a new fleet. They also make sure they're serviced after every renting. I may luck out on the amount of use it got too since it's a 60cm... Sometimes being 6'3 has it's advantages. My next question would be whats a good hot weather bib/shorts & also shoe? I Googled it but came up with 3 different lists of "best bibs & shorts"... Not very useful. I did see a sweet Q36.5 HI jersey that has UV protection (essential out here) and a pair of Assos summer riding gloves (Although I've had great success with my Bontragers for MTB, they do get hot on longer trails and I'm willing to go another direction if need be) It's pretty much in the 80's all year, with August getting in the 90's here.
Old 03-17-17, 07:00 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T2theK
Thanks for the advice everybody. I got a hold of my friend here who road bikes out here & who got me thinking of road biking myself and he said the BMC would be a good deal especially for the groupset that's on it. I wouldn't have to sell it when I move since they pay to ship all my stuff. Heck, I even had them ship my snowboard here that I used coming from NH. Back to the topic at hand, the bike is only a year old, the LBS sells their fleet of rentals every year to make room for a new fleet. They also make sure they're serviced after every renting. I may luck out on the amount of use it got too since it's a 60cm... Sometimes being 6'3 has it's advantages. My next question would be whats a good hot weather bib/shorts & also shoe? I Googled it but came up with 3 different lists of "best bibs & shorts"... Not very useful. I did see a sweet Q36.5 HI jersey that has UV protection (essential out here) and a pair of Assos summer riding gloves (Although I've had great success with my Bontragers for MTB, they do get hot on longer trails and I'm willing to go another direction if need be) It's pretty much in the 80's all year, with August getting in the 90's here.
I personally can't stand riding in gloves. I'm in Florida and the spring-fall temps are usually 80+. I prefer a thick tape or a double wrap in lieu of hand wear.
Old 03-17-17, 08:10 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Assos and q36.5?! Your outfit is going to cost more than your bike! Pearl Izumi is generally good bang for the buck for clothes. Shimano and Sidi make good shoes. Good luck!
Old 03-18-17, 03:04 AM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Assos gloves aren't that expensive but you're right with the Q36.5 jersey.... way too expensive. Too bad since it fit the Hawaii theme. I did manage to find a Castelli Climber 2.0 FZ jersey on Amazon for $40 & I think paired with Pearl Izumi warm weather bib I should be good. As for the gloves, that comes from MTB. I need that padding when getting bounced around and I found that it's more comfortable for me to ride on the roads with them too.
Old 03-19-17, 05:51 PM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the dive and picked up the BMC after I fell in love with it on the test drive. Thanks again for all the insight everybody. I'll try to remember to throw up some pics of riding around the island for you guys to live vicariously threw.
Old 03-19-17, 05:54 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Have fun on the BMC.
Old 03-19-17, 06:17 PM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the dive and picked up the BMC after I fell in love with it on the test drive. Thanks again for all the insight everybody. I'll try to remember to throw up some pics of riding around the island for you guys to live vicariously threw.
Looking forward to those pics while in the great NE.
Old 03-19-17, 07:05 PM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StoneFence
Looking forward to those pics while in the great NE.
Have fun with all that snow you just got. I'm kinda jealous of it for the snowboarding that you can be doing instead of biking.
Old 03-19-17, 07:31 PM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun with all that snow you just got. I'm kinda jealous of it for the snowboarding that you can be doing instead of biking.
Unfortunately life interferes with the winter sports right now (I have a almost 12yo soccer player).