Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

skin disorder

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

skin disorder

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 08:20 AM
wrldtraveller

Bikes: 1999 Raleigh 24 spd Mtn bike, 2019 Trek ALR Checkpoint touring bike, 2012 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
skin disorder

I know this is not related to cycling, but it has been on my mind lately. I currently suffer hives called Chronic idiopathic urticaria and was curious about how this works with cycling. I have a goal of doing some bicycle touring sometimes in the near future.

To begin with, Chronic Idiopathic urticaria literally means chronic unknown hives. The doctor cannot find out what is causing the hives. I think I am allergic to something but I am in the process of diagnosing what is causing it but it takes time.

Back to cycling, I am wondering is there any cyclists out there who have some form of allergies or hives or similar to what I mentioned above, and how they deal with it while out cycling?

Thanks.
Paul
Old 06-27-17, 08:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hope you get it cured before taking off on a tour.

Old 06-27-17, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Web MD?
Old 06-27-17, 01:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
sorry, not any personal experience.
All there is to say is good luck with getting it resolved and/or finding creams or medication to help deal with the symptoms and discomfort.
Old 06-27-17, 06:04 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I am alergic to synthetic clothing and anti perspirants and especially a combination of those two. My armpits break out in hives and sometimes thise hives will seep liquid... lovely story i know... but as long as i stay with wool or cotton and avoid sweating in synthetic clothing I stay fine.
Old 06-27-17, 06:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
You never know. Since you're suffering while at home, it's safe to assume the trigger is there (home meaning the general area, not just your house). You might break lucky and the problem might disappear when you ride away form the cause.

I suffered from a similar issue when I was younger, except that mine was an annual seasonal event. The Doc and I did some deductive reasoning, and formed a theory that I was allergic to something in the woods, but since it as seasonal, the cause must be also.

In the end, we theorized, but didn't test, that it might be some sort of pollen that was present only during a short window, and the "cure" was to not go camping in May, with a week on either side for safety.

No spring camping, no rash, case closed, and I've lived with that restriction, since. Of course I may no longer be allergic to whatever it was, but I've no interest in proving.

So, good luck with the testing, and in the meantime try a few 2- day weekends and see how you make out. Try not to depend on steroids or antihistamines because they can make you drowsy and dull your reflexes. But do take something with you as a Plan B if needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-28-17, 05:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
an addendum to my potential for hives ... it also seems to coincide with overheating under athletic workload i.e. biking, hiking etc ... almost as if the sweat did not have enough time to get out. I did do some googling ;-) and here is the information:

Cholinergic Urticaria: Hives From Heat or Sweat

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I am alergic to synthetic clothing and anti perspirants and especially a combination of those two. My armpits break out in hives and sometimes thise hives will seep liquid... lovely story i know... but as long as i stay with wool or cotton and avoid sweating in synthetic clothing I stay fine.
Old 06-28-17, 07:41 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
stay outa the sun; seems to negatively affect skin.

long sleeves, get one of those french foreign legion
neck cover thingies, and a brim on the helmet....
Old 06-28-17, 07:53 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
an addendum to my potential for hives ... it also seems to coincide with overheating under athletic workload i.e. biking, hiking etc ... almost as if the sweat did not have enough time to get out. I did do some googling ;-) and here is the information:

I had that once. Early one morning, I rode from the CO Front Range (5300' MSL) up to Echo Lake(10,5000), wearing heavy tights over my bike shorts. As I descended from Echo Lake to Bergen Park(7800' MSL), the temperature shot up from a combination of the lower altitude and reaching early afternoon. Upon reaching BP, it was about 80F, so I stopped to take off the tights. Holy crap! My legs were covered in red bumps. No pain or itching, but it looked like hell. It took some days before it faded away. I never had it before or since.
Old 06-28-17, 09:11 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I had hives for many months, controllable with antihistamines. No obvious cause. Red bumps, itching and burning.

Then it just stopped a few years ago. Maybe you'll recover, too.
Old 06-28-17, 09:39 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I used to work as a repair machinist in a large printing corporation. You would not believe the chemicals involved. Almost everything I touched caused a rash or burn. Oddly, I'm not allergic to poison ivy/oak, bee stings, nut allergies or the wife's silly b*llsh*t.
Old 06-28-17, 10:21 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts

I've long had that problem, but generally it's only an issue when the sweat can't dry or there's added friction. It's worst at the base of my neck, but I manage it with loose well vented clothing. I don't T-shirts when it's hot, and that seems to help.

I've also suspected that detergent residue on clothing may be a factor, so I triple rinse the wash and it seems to help, but I may be just wasting water.

BTW - if you're getting the hives on or near your hands, it might be from washing too often, or with strong soaps and hot water.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-28-17, 11:40 AM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
How bad are the breakouts? Are we talking full body? certain parts? exposed parts?
I have a form of eczema. however, I have a prescribed cream I take with me when touring just in case. Rarely pops up, but when it does, I am prepared for it.

Seems like if you have hives, you should bring some Cortisone and Benadryl with you to help ease symptoms. If it get too uncomfortable to tour, then either plan on having bail-out options, visit walkin clinics or take longer rest days.

Skin stuff sucks, so just be as prepared as you can, similar to what you have at home for when it happens there.

Last edited by MixedRider; 06-28-17 at 11:42 AM. Reason: my computer hates me
Old 06-28-17, 02:04 PM
300ps

Bikes: MIFA Trekkingrad (2), KHS Urban Xpress

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've long had skin problems that no doctor could pinpoint the cause of. I discovered while touring/working in Taiwan that it was caused by dairy products, specifically milk. Dairy is less common over there and for whatever reason I didn't feel the need to seek it out. After a couple of months of having consumed almost none of those products the skin problems cleared up. So cycling in a way solved it!
Old 06-28-17, 03:26 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, since we're all playing Dr and ignoring the OP's actual question...I've seen some people's rashes go away when they stop showering with chlorinated water. Makes a huge difference. If you even go somewhere where the water is less chlorinated (or not at all) then go back to the mainland N. America, you really notice how strong it is.
Old 06-28-17, 07:22 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have my own chronic itching problems, but I do not sprout hives. I can tell you that, when I work with tires, something about exposure to the rubber makes me itch like a maniac.
Old 06-28-17, 11:26 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had this decades ago in high school. When I would work out (nearly daily) I would often, but not always, break out in hives. I still remember the intense itchiness and discomfort.

After a bit of sleuthing, I finally narrowed it down to the deodorant soap that my mom had begun purchasing around that time. I suggest looking at your body soap and laundry detergent as possible sources of your problem; you might get lucky.
Old 06-29-17, 12:31 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I have some allergies, one thing that always helps is clean alkaline-forming diet that helps minimize inflammation.
Old 06-30-17, 11:18 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Detergents can cause skin issues for me. I now use the plainest, unscented soaps possible.