Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Salsa Vaya Front Rack Question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 10:17 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I'm trying to build up my Vaya to do some mild self-supported tours, and I'm leaning toward the Tubus Ergo front rack (already chose the Logo Evo for the rear rack, added heel clearance is kinda a thing with my big effin feet) but I have heard adapters may be needed for the ergo to fit my fork properly. Anyone have any experience mounting a tubus front rack to a Vaya that could confirm/dispute this?

Mine has the chromoly fork if that makes a difference
2017 Vaya Claris, brown
Old 04-01-18, 02:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not to the Vaya but, as a good mechanic, I help at a Bike shop in the summer..

the Tubus Ergo is limited to stock at retailers , no longer being made .. as of now.. Tara and Duo are what they will make from now on..

I am at the western end of many bike tours and see a lot of Surly and Salsa bikes,
and the Tara is on many of those bikes people buy, to ride tours.. across the US ..

I was often given the job of packing their bikes to ship back across the country,
and the Tara has an advantage there in how it folds nearly flat ..

Your fork has the mid blade braze on , so should have no problem..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-01-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 11:12 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not to bring up a dead thread, but I'm bringing it back up. Haven't gotten a front rack on my vaya yet, and i see a new front rack on the tubus site, with a platform set above the wheel. Anyone else seeing this? Really interested.
Old 06-07-19, 07:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
Not to bring up a dead thread, but I'm bringing it back up. Haven't gotten a front rack on my vaya yet, and i see a new front rack on the tubus site, with a platform set above the wheel. Anyone else seeing this? Really interested.
Yes. It's a take on the Nitto Big front rack that Rivendell used to sell. I use one. Here is a photo of someone else's. The only photos of my bike are with panniers.

The Nitto rack has a larger platform. I have carried a large bundle of firewood on it numerous times. I use P-clamps for the upper attachment points. "Grew up" using a front platform rack from Robert Beckman Designs. When my racks were stolen (along with the bike they were attached to.) I went with Nitto Big from and rear because they were the production racks that most closely resembled my Beckman racks.
Old 06-07-19, 10:58 AM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wife has a Vaya and she has the Salsa DownUnder lowrider rack. It took a little finagling with spacers to get around the disc brake. Not a direct answer for your question, but front rack and bike applicable
Old 06-07-19, 02:34 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
...dead thread...
Grand Expedition (GE) has not debuted in the marketplace yet, and probably won't until July/August, and then you'll have to order it from one of the small number of Euro shops that will initially sell it, in which case you would be a beta tester and pay a premium for that privilege. If there is an issue with the rack, the shipping cost to Germany will likely make a return impractical. I advise you get another rack now (Tara or Duo) if you need to, and wait until some test reviews are published, and more sellers have the product so that there is less price gouging on a new product. Take a look at GE in Jan 2019. Better yet Jan 2020, when generation 2 is available and some of the bugs are worked out.

Measure the width of your fork at widest section of legs and compare to Tubus's dimensional drawing to see if GE will fit your fork. Apparently GE will fit tires up to 50mm and a fork up to 152mm wide. You may have to jury-rig the middle (mid-fork) attachment but the fork eyelet and crown attachment should be relatively straightforward.

Surly still makes the very similar front Nice Rack.

Last edited by seeker333; 06-07-19 at 04:26 PM.