Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Looking for touring tips around Seattle Sound!

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 10:49 PM
helfrederick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all!

I'm planning a low-key biking/camping trip from Seattle to the San Juan Islands. I have only been to Seattle once before (10 years ago) and only for a day so I would love any advice from those of you with more Seattle experience.

I mapped out a route from Seattle to the Anacortes Ferry Terminal. 20-30 miles per day....we are taking it easy. Planning to stay at the hiker/biker sites at Manchester State Park, Kitsap Memorial Park, Fort Worden State, and Deception Pass. Then we will camp on San Juan Island/Orca Island for a few nights before heading back to Seattle and taking the Amtrak home to Los Angeles.

I'm a bit stumped about how to get back to Seattle. I was hoping to take the Amtrak Cascade and just bring my bike on the train, but it doesn't seem to be running. I know Bolt Bus is an option but they seem to require boxing the bike which I want to avoid. Any tips or general advice? Is there a good route from the ferry back to Seattle that isn't too demanding? I'm bringing my coworker (first-time camper + bike tourer) on the trip and I personally haven't biked in a year!

Many thanks!

PS: Is there anyway around the 10 posts in order to add a link/photo? I would love to post the route here to see if the roads google suggested are alright.
Old 04-29-21, 10:48 AM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So, seatac using faulteroy ferry to manchester. Ride to Kitsap memorial from there. Then across the hood canal bridge to Fort warden near port townsend. Then the ferry to whidby island. then on to Anacortes ferry to san juans.

That is a great route. The ride from Manchester to Kitsap memorial could be tricky and stressful from Bremerton through Silverdale. So check your route and give yourself time and patience in that area.
Also, the hood canal bridge (after you leave kitsap memorial) is another spot that has alot of debri on the shoulder.

For the return from the anacortes ferry to seattle, there is the Sounder train that leaves from Mulkiltio. So if you are up for another day of riding, ride all of whidby island south for the day and take the Clint/Mukiltio Ferry. Make Reservations at the Cloud Inn in mulkiltio, get dinner at Ivars next door and take the Sounder Train the next day to SEA. The Inn lets you take your bikes to you hotel room too!
Old 04-29-21, 01:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by helfrederick
PS: Is there anyway around the 10 posts in order to add a link/photo? I would love to post the route here to see if the roads google suggested are alright.
Post the url as text. If you have a map as a jpeg or whatever I'll reply with it as an image.

I don't know the peninsula as well as the Cascades but I might have advice, I can only visualize part of your route. I don't want to confuse you babbling about stuff that won't really help.
Old 05-06-21, 01:29 AM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MixedRider
So, seatac using faulteroy ferry to manchester. Ride to Kitsap memorial from there. Then across the hood canal bridge to Fort warden near port townsend. Then the ferry to whidby island. then on to Anacortes ferry to san juans.

That is a great route. The ride from Manchester to Kitsap memorial could be tricky and stressful from Bremerton through Silverdale. So check your route and give yourself time and patience in that area.
Also, the hood canal bridge (after you leave kitsap memorial) is another spot that has alot of debri on the shoulder.

For the return from the anacortes ferry to seattle, there is the Sounder train that leaves from Mulkiltio. So if you are up for another day of riding, ride all of whidby island south for the day and take the Clint/Mukiltio Ferry. Make Reservations at the Cloud Inn in mulkiltio, get dinner at Ivars next door and take the Sounder Train the next day to SEA. The Inn lets you take your bikes to you hotel room too!
I agree! I've done this route in at least segments and have driven all of it by car. No doubt it's the least traveled, most scenic, and gives you everything the Puget Sound has to offer. There are other ways you can go but this will be hard to beat. Life time of experiences you'll remember a long time.
Old 05-08-21, 08:15 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Don't forget about the Strava Global heatmap. The most ridden routes are most ridden for a reason.
Likes For woodway: