Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seeking Caletti

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Seeking Caletti

Old 07-02-21, 07:25 AM
pepstepper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seeking Caletti

Am researching custom ti frame builders who can make me a mostly road-ish bike. Have managed to check out some of the usual suspects, but am wondering if anybody in the New York City area has a ti bike built by John Caletti that they would be willing to show me. Any other Caletti owners’ opinions gratefully received as well!
Old 07-03-21, 10:34 AM
KPacenti

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pepstepper
Am researching custom ti frame builders who can make me a mostly road-ish bike. Have managed to check out some of the usual suspects, but am wondering if anybody in the New York City area has a ti bike built by John Caletti that they would be willing to show me. Any other Caletti owners’ opinions gratefully received as well!
John does great work - you really can't go wrong with a bike from him.
Old 07-03-21, 05:36 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
Sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Santa Cruz. Take your bike: The riding is fabulous there this time of year. The couple folks I've spoken with who have his frames love them.
Brent
Old 07-06-21, 07:01 AM
pepstepper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback. Oh I wish for Santa Cruz roads! I have family in the Bay Area so now that we might have travel return to our futures - who knows?

And I’ll read any endorsement from Kirk Pacenti as engraved in platinum.
Likes For pepstepper:
Old 07-14-21, 10:41 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
curious....like to understand other peoples material choices as I am getting closer to a custom. Why titanium vs steel or stainless ? thanks for indulging my curiosity in advance

Old 07-14-21, 12:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by pepstepper
Any other Caletti owners’ opinions gratefully received as well!
I bought one in 2014. (A Steel Adventure Road bike). It is my primary ride. The quality of craftsmanship and attention to fit, finish, and detail is superb. He is also an extremely pleasant and honest person to work with. I agree with the other posters who suggest a trip to Santa Cruz is warranted. I talked to him about Ti vs steel (and many other things), and decided on steel. He won't up-sell you just for the hell of it, and is happy to built a bike out of either material. I have zero regrets regarding the purchase, and recommend him without any hesitation.
Old 07-16-21, 11:22 AM
pepstepper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
I bought one in 2014. (A Steel Adventure Road bike). It is my primary ride. The quality of craftsmanship and attention to fit, finish, and detail is superb. He is also an extremely pleasant and honest person to work with. I agree with the other posters who suggest a trip to Santa Cruz is warranted. I talked to him about Ti vs steel (and many other things), and decided on steel. He won't up-sell you just for the hell of it, and is happy to built a bike out of either material. I have zero regrets regarding the purchase, and recommend him without any hesitation.
Thanks for the encouraging input. I really like Caletti’s understated aesthetic and he seems to have honed the adventure road style bike that most appeals to me. Will definitely reach out.
Old 07-16-21, 11:36 AM
pepstepper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m completely non-dogmatic about materials choice. I’m convinced that each material has its significant advantages. Am plumping for ti this time as I’d like a road bike with wider tire clearances than my current super light, racy carbon road bike, so time for a change. I’d like it to be light and responsive but less finicky than carbon. It’s not that I fear that carbon will fail on a ride, it’s just that I’m older now and less deluded about the the cost of weight penalties , and am ready for something more classic, and easier to take care of. My other two bikes are steel - I love them, but ti would give some variety. Also, that raw finish just doesn’t date, so hopefully I’ll use it for longer - justifying the investment.

A bit rambling - showing there’s nothing illuminating in my decision-making. More of an ice cream or cake kind of choice!
Originally Posted by squirtdad;[url=tel:22141262
22141262[/url]]curious....like to understand other peoples material choices as I am getting closer to a custom. Why titanium vs steel or stainless ? thanks for indulging my curiosity in advance