Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Vegan protein powder sprinkled fruit chunks in a bag

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 08-18-21, 09:26 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

This is my new on-road nutrition solution. I bought a 2 pack of re-usable ziplock bags from Target for $3 and having been cutting up fruit and collecting it up in a stainless steel bowl before I ride. I carry a Teaspoon inside the bag and take a snack break at certain milestones during my ride. I can’t eat this on the fly but it is OK.

I got started on this practice as an experiment initially since I was having issues with ripe bananas turning to mush and the banana juice causing stain problems with my jerseys.

So l had been “spicing” my fruit by grating fresh nutmeg, grating fresh ginger, putting orange zest, allspice for flavor. And it is working really well. It tastes good and the strong spice flavors give me something else to think about while I’m out in the heat getting my miles.

so last week while preparing my pouch full of fruit I remembered having a container of vegan (pea, artichoke) protein powder in my lazy Susan needing to be used. So I sprinkled the protein powder in the bowl and stirred it into the fruit. The surface area of the precut pink lady apples, Cara Cara oranges, the banana, the cut up whole dates all accepted the protein powder well.

Now my fruit in the bowl got transferred to the pouch. Excess moisture sort of got dried up from the dusting of the protein powder. On the road, the dryness of the fruit if anything makes me getting my snack bites a tidier proposition with my teaspoon. It does need washed down with some water but that is OK.

I have a theory that this protein powder is well matched to the fruit and that the nutrition is delivered well to the gut for sustained energy and prevention of bonking. Also the dryness of the mix and the fact that it has protein in it seem to satisfy me with fewer bites. So my pouch of fruit can provide nutrition for longer rides.

This whole method has been improved even further (I think) by combining small fruit chunks with small grated shreds of the apple, ginger, and orange peel. These shreds have a real affinity for the protein powder and they stick together enough on the spoon to not blow away in the wind.

My riding companions think I am an odd duck but more than a little curious about my snack bag when they see me chowing down when we regroup at country stop signs or church parking lots.

Just thought I would share. Feel free to critique my theory about the protein, appetite control, smaller serving sizes to power longer rides, etc…

Last edited by masi61; 08-18-21 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-18-21, 10:22 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
On long rides, I try to take a swig about every 15' on my bottle of maltodextrin and whey protein. The big advantage is that I don't need to stop, open packages, etc. There is no slower speed than stopped. This is about what you're trying to do, just simpler, cheaper, and better. I've been doing that for about 25 years.
Old 08-18-21, 11:00 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
On long rides, I try to take a swig about every 15' on my bottle of maltodextrin and whey protein. The big advantage is that I don't need to stop, open packages, etc. There is no slower speed than stopped. This is about what you're trying to do, just simpler, cheaper, and better. I've been doing that for about 25 years.
Thanks for your reply Carbonfiberboy .

I like the idea of the malodextrin & whey protein in a water bottle.

I imagine you need a versatile water bottle that can clean up easily and have a cap design that allows all the orifices to be scrubbed out to keep flowing correctly.

I know what whey protein is like. It is pretty mealy I think and would clog my non-serviceable Purist bottle. Does yours leave bottle residue & how do you clean the whole system?

I just purchased this slightly more expensive Purist bottle (with the “Watergate” cap):

Apparently this cap is an upgrade.

I’m hoping that the valve will easily come apart for cleaning. Have yet to try it though.

Here is a photo of the reusable storage pouch I’ve been playing around with:

Target sells these. The are the cheaper one they sell. This one is made of PVC shower curtain material I believe. AFAIK these don’t contain carcinogenic chemicals but might need to upgrade to the better ones to be sure.

As a 59 year old rider I have experienced different training motivation schemes from cycling season to cycling season. Having just 1 stop where I unclip on a 42 mile ride favors certain food/fluid options is a good workman-like option.

Especially if I have to trick myself into clever ways of getting bonus miles. I can pull over, unclip safely standing on that foot. Take 3 or 4 bites from the pouch & reseal it to replace in back middle jersey pocket pretty quickly. I have had to tweak a few things to assure the the ziplock remains clean (lick it or squirt some water on it). Once earlier this season, I had watermelon in there with the juice and I didn’t fully seal the zip-lock so pink sticky liquid got all on the back of my white Ale’ jersey when it leached out of side oriented pouch. The sticky liquid dried in the sun on my back. Good thing the sweat bees were not as numerous as they are this week.

My 2nd option and the option I'm perfecting for this cycling season has me un-clipping a half dozen or 10 episodes per total ride. Thank goodness for the clip in pedal efficiency of Shimano SPD-R pedals!

Last edited by masi61; 08-18-21 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 11:07 AM
masi61

Also: Carbonfiberboy : what is malodextrin? Sounds like a type of sugar. Does it dissolve into a clear liquid? What nutritional benefit does it provide?

Just curious.

Also: does your bottle of malodextrin and whey protein help sustain your energy? Do you notice your actual riding performance (average speed, climbing ability) show any improvements from this? Also, I was wondering about weight control with the use of whey or vegan protein powders (delivered in a liquid or on the fruit as I describe).

My early report of my experience with the protein dusted fruit is that it really helps with appetite control and may have facilitated more effective weight reduction results which were steady early this season but involved a lot of riding and exercising vigorously for many months. I gained last year despite riding 3450 miles. My weight last January was 215#. Now I'm down to 193# and starting to feel better. I should know better about yo-yo weight having gone through more significant gains than this and had to establish a regimen with running just to get the weight down. I had got as high as #265 when my kids were small and minimal exercise was taking place. Gaining it back takes place quickly, as does falling out of the habit of riding. It took forever to get below 200# this last time.

Last edited by masi61; 08-18-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 11:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Thanks for your reply Carbonfiberboy .

I like the idea of the malodextrin & whey protein in a water bottle.

I imagine you need a versatile water bottle that can clean up easily and have a cap design that allows all the orifices to be scrubbed out to keep flowing correctly.

I know what whey protein is like. It is pretty mealy I think and would clog my non-serviceable Purist bottle. Does yours leave bottle residue & how do you clean the whole system?

I just purchased this slightly more expensive Purist bottle (with the “Watergate” cap):
Apparently this cap is an upgrade.
I’m hoping that the valve will easily come apart for cleaning. Have yet to try it though.

Here is a photo of the reusable storage pouch I’ve been playing around with:

Target sells these. The are the cheaper one they sell. This one is made of PVC shower curtain material I believe. AFAIK these don’t contain carcinogenic chemicals but might need to upgrade to the better ones to be sure.

As a 59 year old rider I have experienced different training motivation schemes from cycling season to cycling season. Having just 1 stop where I unclip on a 42 mile ride favors certain food/fluid options is a good workman-like option.

Especially if I have to trick myself into clever ways of getting bonus miles. I can pull over, unclip safely standing on that foot. Take 3 or 4 bites from the pouch & reseal it to replace in back middle jersey pocket pretty quickly. I have had to tweak a few things to assure the the ziplock remains clean (lick it or squirt some water on it). Once earlier this season, I had watermelon in there with the juice and I didn’t fully seal the zip-lock so pink sticky liquid got all on the back of my white Ale’ jersey when it leached out of side oriented pouch. The sticky liquid dried in the sun on my back. Good thing the sweat bees were not as numerous as they are this week.

My 2nd option and the option I'm perfecting for this cycling season has me un-clipping a half dozen or 10 episodes per total ride. Thank goodness for the clip in pedal efficiency of Shimano SPD-R pedals!
I use and ordinary bike-shop water bottle. I like Fox brand bottles because of the sealing ring. Ordinary valve, doesn't clog. I put the bottle and cap in the dishwasher after use.I use a dishwasher cycle which does not activate the heater element, thus plastic is not an issue.

I use chocolate flavored whey protein. Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard is a good value product. I'm using fancier isolate product now. I mix the malto and whey together, 7:1 ratio by weight, before I load it into the bottle.

Answering your next post, maltodextrin is a long-chain sucrose molecule, so yes it is a sugar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin
To me, it tastes about like rice water, very mild. Some sort of flavoring makes it more palatable, hence the flavored whey protein. Dissolved, it's a white cloudy liquid and with the whey, brownish. It's a carbohydrate, so it's fuel, and it's very easily digestible, more so than sugars which are not long chains, for technical reasons relating to osmolality. I can put 2 cups of my powder mix into a 24 oz. bottle. That's 750 calories or so, plenty for a hard 3 hour ride. On very long rides, like 400k, I've gotten about half my calories from this mix, carrying more in ziplock bags in my saddle bag. On a local 150+ mile event ride, I don't consume anything else except plain water and electrolytes.