Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Yet another Motobecane Grand Record... or is it?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-31-21, 07:53 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts

I purchased this Motobecane Grand Record this summer, and it has shown up in a couple of places here, but I thought it might deserve its own thread because of the many unique features that it has. Whoever owned this bike prior to the person I bought it from, who only used it as part of a display in a retail space and never actually rode it, did some very interesting custom work to the bike, including:

• Braze-ons for downtube shifters, water bottle cages, rear rack
• Internal routing of rear brake cable
• Removed original brake bridge and replaced with Silva bridge
• Recessed the brake bolts
• Repainted by Joe Bell, with all the decals (including the Reynolds 531) wisely applied under the clearcoat

I believe the paint scheme probably would have originally been the ubiquitous black/red, whereas it is now red/black (red bikes are faster!).

Also of note are the Specialties TA half-step plus grannie triple crankset, and the Campy SR rear derailleur (patent 83) with long cages (Rally, I think?).

Since I bought it, I have changed the small chainring (original was bent), the handlebars and stem, white Campy lever hoods for black, and a larger capacity freewheel. I am currently replacing the Conti Giro tubulars for Panaracer Race Evo tubulars.

I have really enjoyed riding this bike, it has been for me the perfect balance of comfort and performance.

The entire gallery is here.

My custom '70s Motobecane Grand Record
Old 10-31-21, 12:42 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
It's possible that, due to the headbadge style, this is a pre-1974 GR in which case the paint scheme may be more correct than the "opposite" scheme in which the main tubes were black with black headlugs and red panels/head tube. But if it is a 1973 (or earlier '70s) then could also be 3-main-tubes 531, not the full set as were the USA-spec GRs of '74 on. Then again, this frame is so customized not sure if the headbadge is OEM or not, but the seat stay caps DO appear more like the pre '74 than later...interesting bike and I'm sure a fine rider as GRs tend to be. Excellent paint by Mr. Bell!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 10-31-21, 01:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Neat bike. I have what I believe to be a '73 Moto GR (531 main triangle and fork). It came to me with a TA double crank which I suspect was original to the bike. Adding a long cage to a Campy RD makes sense since this bike came stock with campy derailleurs.

Perhaps replacing the brake bridge made it easier to mount sidepull brakes? The 70s GRs came stock with centerpulls with plenty of reach. I'm running 700 x 35c Schwalbe tires on my '73 GR with plenty of room to spare.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-31-21, 03:26 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Does it have a number on the inside of the right dropout?
Old 11-01-21, 07:01 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by bikemig
Perhaps replacing the brake bridge made it easier to mount sidepull brakes? The 70s GRs came stock with centerpulls with plenty of reach.
Yes, that's what I figure. I believe it would have had Mafac Racers originally.
Old 11-01-21, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Yes, that's what I figure. I believe it would have had Mafac Racers originally.
I think it more likely came with Weinmann center pulls

Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-01-21, 07:49 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by oneclick
Does it have a number on the inside of the right dropout?
It does. I can make out what looks like "16." Maybe an "8" and a "2" as well? Not sure if there's more digits or not. What does this number signify?

Old 11-01-21, 08:51 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Those would be stock with Universal or Weinman center pulls, depending on the options of the time.
Old 11-01-21, 10:44 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
It does. I can make out what looks like "16." Maybe an "8" and a "2" as well? Not sure if there's more digits or not. What does this number signify?

"64216" has appeared on at least a couple of Grand Records, including my own from 1972.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-02-21, 06:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
"64216" has appeared on at least a couple of Grand Records, including my own from 1972.
It's also on a Dynamax Concorde which is a Quebec-company rebranded Grand Record, Campagnolo dropouts; the GR with Gipiemme dropouts posted about somewhere here was 64316, another post somewhere said that xxxx17 was for the mixte frame, xxxx16 for a flat top-tube frame, I wonder if the 3rd last digit is a the dropout type - I noticed a stamped dropout (no hanger) Moto frame posted also here somewhere had a zero in that position..
Old 11-03-21, 01:54 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
As others noted, this is a common number (and not the serial number). I've got it on my 1972 Grand Record.

The serial number may be on the outside of the NDS dropout. Here's mine as an example:

Old 11-03-21, 08:49 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
That is a beauty! I have been looking at it for since you posted it 4 days ago and still think the reverse colors are quite elegant. I too have a Grand Record (from 1976) with all Campy components but not the inner tube cable and brazed on bottle holder. You are a lucky guy!
Likes For sbrudno: