Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Type of epoxy to use for carbon fiber/aluminum BB repair

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-04-22, 09:55 PM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts

Help! I have a nice 2006 carbon fiber Bianchi 928RC that has a very small amount of play between the aluminum bottom bracket insert and the carbon fiber tubes. I talked to a bike shop mechanic who said that when some Specialized bikes developed the same issue, Specialized sent them tubes of epoxy and told the shop to simply pour it straight down the seat tube and let it set. The shop doesn't have any of this epoxy left, and can't remember exactly what it was. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to use? Thanks for any input!
Old 05-05-22, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
I would contact the manufacturer for their suggestion of epoxy that would be compatible with whatever resin was used in their carbon fiber material.
Old 05-05-22, 08:29 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I had one bike company suggest DP-460 for repairing their bike's failed drop out/stay joint. I did this over 10 years ago and a couple of years ago that bike came into the shop for a tune up. The joint was still intact. Do know that raw carbon will galvanicly react with the Al. This is why a separation layer (sometimes figerglass) is generally employed. Andy
Old 05-05-22, 12:22 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by spudly
Specialized sent them tubes of epoxy and told the shop to simply pour it straight down the seat tube and let it set.
Beware some epoxy resins create a lot of heat when setting. When used in a thin coat... not a problem.
But pouring in a bunch of it, not so good.

Do take your time to find a suitable resin.

Barry
BTW posting this in Framebuilders, might have more luck than mechanics.
Likes For Barry2: