Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No more inner tube recycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-05-22, 11:07 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts

It seems that I can no longer recycle my inner tubes, at least in the Twin Cities. Have recycling programs gone away?

I collect spent inner tubes in a bin in my basement and then every year or two take them to my LBS, which adds them to their heap and recycles them.

But this morning when I brought them my bin, they said that there was no longer a recycling program for them to access, and that they now just throw away the tubes.

This is one of the biggest local LBS chains (Freewheel). I could try another LBS, but I suspect I will get the same response.

Does anybody know more? Did recycling tubes stop being cost-effective compared to landfill?
Old 05-05-22, 11:31 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I could try another LBS, but I suspect I will get the same response.
Call and ask?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-05-22, 11:53 AM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
The valve stems are brass. Currently worth about $2.00 per pound.
Old 05-05-22, 11:54 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Why not patch them?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-05-22, 11:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Bicycle inner tubes are "tanglers" which can't be processed on automated recycling lines. That's why they shouldn't go into curbside recycle.

Specialty recyclers are few and far between. And since there isn't a whole lot of rubber in a bicycle inner tubes, even rubber recyclers don't like them. (Even with all the hassles of processing car tires, they aren't a tangler, and there's a lot of material to process. NOBODY wants to recycle bicycle TIRES.)

Some upcyclers will take 50ish pound boxes of inner tubes, but they're facing a glut of supply. (Alchemy is one. But there's only so much demand for woven inner tube messenger bags.)

Ask yourself this question. Are inner tubes single use? (Generally not, unless you run over a goathead thorn on your first ride.) They've given you hundreds or thousands of miles. Discard with a clear conscience.

-mr. bill
Old 05-05-22, 12:08 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Why not repurpose them for use as tie down straps, etc ? They stretch nicely and work well for this. I cut mine into strips and use them for securing loads on the back. Also good for securing rolled up extension cords.
Likes For frogman:
Old 05-05-22, 12:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I guess we just throw them away so that millions of years in the future some radioactive resistant reptilian humanoid can dig um up for fuel...
Old 05-05-22, 12:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I find old tubes indispensable for various uses around the shop. Cut into a long strip they can be wrapped around furniture and cabinets I sometimes build as a hobby to hold them together while the glue dries instead of having to own a truckload of clamps of various sorts and sizes. Shorter strips are also good to simply tie up a opened bag of ant bait or fertilizer. And just having them available I find a lot of oddball use for them that really comes in handy frequently.

Since I don't flat that often, I once thought I was going to have to sacrifice a brand new tube when I ran out of old tubes. But I was able to make do.
Old 05-05-22, 12:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Why not repurpose them for use as tie down straps, etc ? They stretch nicely and work well for this. I cut mine into strips and use them for securing loads on the back. Also good for securing rolled up extension cords.
Now that you mention this, I have a few bungee cords that are getting pretty ratty. Replacing the rubber cord with some inner tube wouldn't work for everyrone because of the difference in stretchiness; but they'd work well for my purposes.
Old 05-05-22, 12:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I guess we just throw them away so that millions of years in the future some radioactive resistant reptilian humanoid can dig um up for fuel...
Probably a future archeologist will surmise that they played a big part in our religious ceremonies. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-05-22, 12:22 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I've seen them cut into narrow strips and square braided, better than bungee cords.
Old 05-05-22, 12:24 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
How do you define "spent" when referring to tubes? Over the last 50 years, I've not had many tubes that I needed to dispose of. Most punctures can be patched, but when one is not repairable I repurpose them to a variety of uses around the house.
Old 05-05-22, 12:29 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Bicycle inner tubes are "tanglers" which can't be processed on automated recycling lines. That's why they shouldn't go into curbside recycle.

Specialty recyclers are few and far between. And since there isn't a whole lot of rubber in a bicycle inner tubes, even rubber recyclers don't like them. (Even with all the hassles of processing car tires, they aren't a tangler, and there's a lot of material to process. NOBODY wants to recycle bicycle TIRES.)

Some upcyclers will take 50ish pound boxes of inner tubes, but they're facing a glut of supply. (Alchemy is one. But there's only so much demand for woven inner tube messenger bags.)

Ask yourself this question. Are inner tubes single use? (Generally not, unless you run over a goathead thorn on your first ride.) They've given you hundreds or thousands of miles. Discard with a clear conscience.

-mr. bill
Thanks for the informative reply. (Whereas some others seem intent on answering questions I did not ask.)
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-05-22, 01:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
The charity shop where I volunteer is entirely supported by donations, so we patch punctures whenever possible. The only times tubes don't get patched is when they suffer unpatchable damage, e.g. a large blow-out or leak at the base of the valve stem. Those tubes get repurposed by the community farm associated with the shop to tie back plants or support fruit-laden branches and such like. Very little ends up in the trash.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-05-22, 01:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I find old tubes indispensable for various uses around the shop. Cut into a long strip they can be wrapped around furniture and cabinets
I wrap them around the handles of garden tools to provide some padding.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-05-22, 01:51 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
there is no glass recycling here
Old 05-05-22, 02:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why not patch them?
This
Old 05-05-22, 03:30 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
Here in Japan some districts have updated the trash processing technology, and items which formerly had to be separated can now be put in the “burnable” waste. The newer furnaces can burn tough stuff cleanly, while gleaning out and separating random bits of metal for recycling. This reduces the complication of separating trash, and decreases the number of trash collection days and trash trucks on the roads.
Old 05-05-22, 06:26 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
FFS.

The question isn’t about reduce. (Patch your tubes until the patches have patches?)
It isn’t about reuse. (How many uses are there around the house?)
It’s about recycling.

So yeah, it’s tough to recycle a bicycle inner tube.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-05-22 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-05-22, 10:46 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Thanks for the informative reply. (Whereas some others seem intent on answering questions I did not ask.)

They are making suggestions for other options to consider besides recycling.

I would report their shameful practice immediately.

Or loosen up and be nice.........................
Old 05-06-22, 04:13 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why not patch them?
Patching tubes is getting to be a lost skill, very few cyclists out there know how to do it properly.
Old 05-06-22, 08:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Same. I generally will patch them…numerous times…until one of the patches then fails. it’s almost impossible to successfully patch over where there was previously a patch. But I hang onto the old ones and repurpose them in this, and many other ways. I’ve also recently begun repurposing my old bicycle tires. Foldable tire beads are really strong. I cut them off and use it for tying stuff. The tread comes in handy for stuff like spacers cut to size, leveling furniture, etc.

Dan
Old 05-06-22, 09:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Here in Japan some districts have updated the trash processing technology, and items which formerly had to be separated can now be put in the “burnable” waste. The newer furnaces can burn tough stuff cleanly, while gleaning out and separating random bits of metal for recycling. This reduces the complication of separating trash, and decreases the number of trash collection days and trash trucks on the roads.
I've read that this has quietly been the case for a lot of things we imagined were being recycled. (Do you really think your used motor oil is being re-refined into new oil? What else are they going to do with mystery plastic? Etc.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-06-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:18 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,878 Times in 842 Posts
I tie a rock to them and throw them in the river or lake or just toss them along the road........if you are really cleaver you can fill them with lead shot or powder and they make great saps for when some redneck messes with you.....
Old 05-06-22, 09:19 AM
frogman

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Same. I generally will patch them…numerous times…until one of the patches then fails. it’s almost impossible to successfully patch over where there was previously a patch. But I hang onto the old ones and repurpose them in this, and many other ways. I’ve also recently begun repurposing my old bicycle tires. Foldable tire beads are really strong. I cut them off and use it for tying stuff. The tread comes in handy for stuff like spacers cut to size, leveling furniture, etc.

Dan

Sounds good Dan. I use the strips cut from the tubes for a lot of stuff especially "bungee" type applications. I use a strip to secure the front wheel from flopping around when doing maintenance on my road bikes on the bike stand. Park makes a nice tool for this but my securing strip is a lot cheaper
Interesting about the foldable tire beads. I will check them out.
Trying to survive with all the high prices on everything now. Anyway we can save helps. 8 foot 2 x 4's are now $6.00 each at Home Depot
Rambling away from the ops original question..................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.