Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steel bolts in aluminum thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 03:23 PM
v8powerage

Bikes: Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

What's with bicycle part manufacturers penchant for threading steel bolts into aluminum. Most notorious are seat clamps, how hard is it to make this tiny rectangular out of steel instead of aluminum, in fact it would be cheaper, I replaced mine with regular nut because it kept creaking and just gave up one day.

Another thing is stems, I just broke Cinelli Frog stem, they expected M6 bolt (not even M7 like in most old stems) to hold it all together, (the two bolts on top only hold the plate in place) of course it's threaded into aluminum, now I need to insert steel helicoil, something that should've been done from factory.
Old 05-12-22, 03:53 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
The threading together of dissimilar metals is always going to be necessary from time to time and can't always be avoided. Proper torque methods are important for this reason.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-12-22, 04:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
All righty then.
Old 05-12-22, 06:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
If one thinks that long term durability is a primary goal of the current bike industry I would say you're missing why they are in business.

If one thinks their past experiences will dictate how current bike parts are dealt with I would say that's only partly the case. The advent of tiny sized bolts and structural composites makes how one deals with fasteners much more sensitive to torque levels.

Having said all that I do share the OP's frustration with some choices that we have to deal with. Andy
Old 05-12-22, 06:29 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Proper torque methods are important for this reason.
And grease on the threads.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-12-22, 10:15 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
I have a custom with a frog and the two top bolts tension the bar with the lower bolt all being brought up to spec as I expected and is years in service.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-13-22, 02:33 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by v8powerage
What's with bicycle part manufacturers penchant for threading steel bolts into aluminum. Most notorious are seat clamps, how hard is it to make this tiny rectangular out of steel instead of aluminum, in fact it would be cheaper, I replaced mine with regular nut because it kept creaking and just gave up one day.

Another thing is stems, I just broke Cinelli Frog stem, they expected M6 bolt (not even M7 like in most old stems) to hold it all together, (the two bolts on top only hold the plate in place) of course it's threaded into aluminum, now I need to insert steel helicoil, something that should've been done from factory.
I would most likely replace that bolts as well, the threads look a little buggered up, may want to try greasing the new bolt as well.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 05-13-22, 06:19 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
What's with bicycle part manufacturers penchant for threading steel bolts into aluminum.
Ya mean like pedals?
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-13-22, 06:48 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Ya mean like pedals?
bear in mind though that pedal use coarse threads, which are harder to strip (though not impossible, obv) than the fine threads used in stem fasteners.
the most egregious example I know is automotive - each rear wheel on the Triumph TR6 is held on by 6 5/16” UNF studs threaded into soft aluminum. The torque setting/range for these is alarmingly low/narrow. A standard upgrade is to tap the holes out to 7/16” UNC and insert steel Keenserts with a 5/16” UNF internal threading. At least the fine stud threads are engaging steel
Old 05-13-22, 07:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
the most egregious example I know is automotive -
With so many aluminium block & heads today automotive is the worst. At least with a wheel you can get at it.
Old 05-13-22, 08:05 AM
v8powerage

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I have a custom with a frog and the two top bolts tension the bar with the lower bolt all being brought up to spec as I expected and is years in service.
Up to spec meaning? I can't find any manual. On mine the lower bolt is longer than the top ones , I tried to torque all three same force but that was impossible, top ones went all the way in then I was left with the bottom one bearing all the force so of course it stripped being only M6 threaded in aluminum.
Old 05-13-22, 08:17 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
To me this is really a non-issue. Aside from the occasional poorly designed part, steel bolts in aluminum work fine, are plenty strong enough and usually fail due to user error from over torquing and cross threading. Most people want lightweight bikes and making everything bombproof gets heavy real fast. Mfrs. could install steel inserts in some aluminum threaded parts but it's not cheap and usually not necessary. Every owner is expected to obtain some mechanical knowledge before working on their own bikes and can get help through hundreds of outlets like here or YouTube, etc., etc. If someone doesn't want to learn they can let the pro mechanics handle it. OP was complaining that his stem handlebar clamp has 6mm bolts which are pretty standard for the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of handlebar clamps in use and not a safety issue that I'm aware of.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-13-22, 08:24 AM
Crankycrank

Up to spec meaning? I can't find any manual. On mine the lower bolt is longer than the top ones , I tried to torque all three same force but that was impossible, top ones went all the way in then I was left with the bottom one bearing all the force so of course it stripped being only M6 threaded in aluminum.
Did you gradually increase the torque on all three bolts making at least three passes of equal torque before getting to the final pass and make sure the faceplate had equal gaps at the top and bottom?
Old 05-13-22, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
That’s not a torque issue. It’s an assembly issue. For a faceplate style stem, you should be able to assemble the faceplate so that the gap between the plate and the stem are equal at all bolts. Then you torque the bolts. If one of the bolts is long than the others, you should replace that bolt with one of the same length. Either cut it down or get a new one.

My other question is are you sure you are using the proper diameter handlebar? Are you trying to use a 25.4mm bar in a 26.0mm stem?

Finally, there is nothing on a bike other than crank bolts that needs super high torque. If something seems to need extreme torque, check to make sure that it is installed properly or if there is a fit issue. I’ve run across a whole lot of parts that some gorilla tightened. It’s unnecessary.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-13-22, 09:23 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I agree that seatpost clamps/collars should have steel bolt and a threaded steel insert. There are just too many variables, the primary one probably being rider weight, that requires more torque to keep some seatposts from slipping. I know Salsa made one that incorporated a steel barrel nut.

As for eliminating threaded steel fasteners/adjusters on a bike, that would be nearly impossible. Almost every component has some steel threads into aluminum; limit screws, barrel adjusters, freehub bodies, pedals…

While some applications might benefit, I doubt anyone sees value in a complete overhaul of components.

John
Old 05-13-22, 09:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

"Spec" meaning exactly what Crankycrank said above, alternating torquing, gradually, and obviously greased, but I just pulled my cap off and I have one M6 that is 3mm longer than the other two, the shorter rearward and the front the longer. They did not move with my 3 NM Torque key but it did not take much more to pull. I know repeated torquing of aluminum even with lube can cause thread failures but that should not be the case with a stem.
Old 05-13-22, 10:31 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Isn't this an integral part of "proper torque methods"?
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-13-22, 10:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For a faceplate style stem, you should be able to assemble the faceplate so that the gap between the plate and the stem are equal at all bolts.
Not always. Easton made a series of 4-bolt faceplate stems called "Top-Lock". For these the two top bolts were installed and tightened until the faceplate bottomed against the stem. There is no top gap at all. Then the bottom bolts were installed and tightened evenly to spec leave a uniform gap left to right.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-13-22, 10:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...how hard is it to buy and install a couple of helicoils in a stem?
Old 05-13-22, 11:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
So I'm supposed to grease this thread? My screen? The keyboard? The mousepad? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I use lots of grease on all bike threads. I also like fasteners, especially those related to bike fit to be large enough and robust enough to be loosened and tightened many times. Yes, steel nuts and thread inserts where appropriate. Sadly these run against the concept of minimum weight. Always.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-13-22, 11:14 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Old 05-13-22, 03:27 PM
v8powerage

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
"Spec" meaning exactly what Crankycrank said above, alternating torquing, gradually, and obviously greased, but I just pulled my cap off and I have one M6 that is 3mm longer than the other two, the shorter rearward and the front the longer. They did not move with my 3 NM Torque key but it did not take much more to pull. I know repeated torquing of aluminum even with lube can cause thread failures but that should not be the case with a stem.
So Your faceplate has even gaps top and bottom? As for the bolts, the bottom bolt is original and is longer.
I was trying to do that, alternating torque and make it pull evenly but then top was very loose and handlebar wasn't secured at all. Handlebar is 26mm I measured it with caliper.
Old 05-13-22, 05:02 PM
easyupbug 

Wow, I got nothing. It had been so long I tried finding Frog instructions and found this:https://www.sjscycles.com/Instruction...structions.pdf
Written by lawyers, it actually says for "Occasional Amateur use - "replace the screws of each component /w original Cinelli spare parts every 2 years"!
Old 05-13-22, 05:19 PM
Crankycrank

I was trying to do that, alternating torque and make it pull evenly but then top was very loose and handlebar wasn't secured at all. Handlebar is 26mm I measured it with caliper.
There is also a slight possibility that this is a 26.4 clamp. Cinelli started making the Frog about the same time they were switching from 26.4 to 26.0. Not sure if the Frog was ever even made in a 26.4 though so take the handle bar out, bolt the faceplate down and measure the I.D. A longshot but worth a try.
Old 05-13-22, 05:22 PM
v8powerage

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Well I don't know how to assemble this faceplate the bottom bolt is longer and it acts like the single bolt clamp that's how I see it and the thread is aluminum (stupid). I'm gonna get helicoil but it has to be special thin walled kind because there's not much space there I can only drill to 7mm, regular ones need 10mm hole. Meanwhile I put back modolo race with bolt and nut which is tightened as hard as I physically could if it strips I get new nut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.