Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training status??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 01:56 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Training status??

Hello all. Since most of you race, I was wondering how training is going for you? I started my base building a bit early this year and have now started getting into the real workouts. I was happy to be doing some tempo the other day at 320 watts for 1:15 (I try to stick with shorter workouts) which is about 50 watts better than the same time last year. Anyone else showing marked improvement over last years numbers? Give me some inspiration!! I climbed the virtual equivalent of the Peysourde today for 3000 feet of uphill fun. What are you all doing?
Old 11-30-06, 02:08 PM
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one month into base training. Picking up the riding gradually, holding myself to 12.5 hours this week. I'm still doing bi-weekly group rides to maintain some upper-end speed and spending almost all my solo rides on LSD.

And damn, that is some impressive tempo wattage.
Old 11-30-06, 02:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm going old school: built up a fixie that I'm going to ride all winter long. By springtime I'll be a spinning fool.
Old 11-30-06, 02:22 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Things were progressing nicely, until I developed the saddle sore from hell. I was right on track for the start of next years race season. I've been ave 15 hours a week (approx 175mi) which includes two days in the gym. I've been working hard to develop some more leg strength and improve my peak power. On last Sundays team ride I blitzed the long climb near my best time and power out puts. With this saddle sore I've been off the bike for three days and it's not getting better.

If you want to hear about some brutal training wait till Vinokurtov chimes in!
Old 11-30-06, 02:27 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Adding base miles with an emphasis on higher rpm spinning. Lifting weights 2-3 days a week.
Old 11-30-06, 02:28 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
14 hours a week so far, riding every day. Yesterday I hit a pretty damn high avg for my 20min effort, with the last two minutes jacking it up for another 40w. Only doing that once or twice a week, the rest is LSD and tempo. Hope to be able to roll a 25min TT at 320-325 this spring.

My 20min average is below DrWJODonnell's tempo, though. That makes me sad.
Old 11-30-06, 02:32 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running. running and running some more.

Keep telling everyone I'll be back on the bike soon, but this running thing is pretty cool and after 16 years of bike racing, it is nice to have something else to do than just ride.

I do look forward to riding again though. How about next week guys, I promise...
Old 11-30-06, 02:33 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was doing well taking it easy ...and then I got a TT bike for my birthday. Last week I did a TT on thanksgiving day, road the park with my wife on Friday, rode to Mt Wilson and Saturday, and did the Love Ride with Team Hollywood Sunday. Monday I was so sore I could barely walk and havent ridden or trained since Sunday. Never had that kind of soreness before. So now I need to just stop, recover and start again in late December. Oops.
Old 11-30-06, 02:44 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
September: Had first thought about looking for rollers.
October: Found my rollers in my mind. Made note to look in basement.
November: Found rollers. Moved them upstairs into spare room.
December: Oh look! Skis!

Seriously, I'm on track. Basically ditto what Cypress said.
Old 11-30-06, 04:43 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, given that next season will be my first season racing.....this is the first time I've done a structured "base" program. It took me a few rides to get into the mindset to ride slow and easy, but it's been going pretty well. The next few weeks/weekends will be a bit tough; going to NYC for the weekend, and will only be able to ride 1 day the following weekend, and then going to Myrtle Beach on vacation from Christmas to the first week in January......

So....things could be better. I probably won't be where I want to be come springtime, but that's fairly expected.
Old 11-30-06, 05:03 PM
cat4ever
Cat WTF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still lifting and won't start base for about 3 weeks. To those in the middle of base periods, when do you anticipate to peak? Early spring? I'm shooting for late spring myself, but heaviest mileage won't be until January (if memory serves).
Old 11-30-06, 06:00 PM
grebletie
NorCal Climbing Freak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm midway through my second base. I wish I had power numbers to go off of. Nothing but aerobic miles at the moment. Slowly I'm adding in tempo work. My base speed is about 20mph, which is a marked improvement for me, considering I started racing last season.

Currently under the weather (as in ill), so training is taking an unfortunate halt. But I hope to hit the ground running next week.

Right now I'm in Chicago, and we're about to see a snow storm tonight. Luckily I'll be in California for Winter break in a week an a half , so I should miss the worst of it through December. I can't wait to climb some mountains again...the overpasses just don't do it for me.
Old 11-30-06, 06:04 PM
zimbo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
It's all about W/kg dude. That said I'll bet DrWJ's is still higher than mine.

In answer to the original question... I will be working on the long rides for the next couple of months with some TT position work in there as well. Still working on FTP to some degree. In February I'll start working the sprint intervals and such but my key events in 07 are 100 miles in length so I'm trying to serve two masters.

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 11-30-06 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 06:05 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by cat4ever
I'm still lifting and won't start base for about 3 weeks. To those in the middle of base periods, when do you anticipate to peak? Early spring? I'm shooting for late spring myself, but heaviest mileage won't be until January (if memory serves).

Peaking in mid-July. I'm not on a peaking program, I just know that's when I peak every season.
Old 11-30-06, 06:10 PM
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just sitting and spinning for long sessions, low HR [sub150] & high cadence [try to stay +100].
Lactate intervals once a week. (4 min on, 12 min off) X 3
No weights, no diet, no counting miles.

When spring time rolls in - my legs and lungs will be ready for outdoor sprints..
Old 11-30-06, 06:11 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am going to try To do three peaks this season. I was on schedule to do it last season when an accident ended my third peak. I did very well last season and if all goes well (crash free) I hope to post some good results this year. By the way, thanks for all of the responses. It always helps to have motivation of fellow racers. I have to have it to avoid being mashed by the monsterous thighs of the Penguin! Oh, and Vino, where are you?
Old 11-30-06, 06:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I start base 2 next week. I'm feeling good, what I'm cruising around at @ 150bpm is what I could barely hold at the beginning of this year. This bodes well for the upcoming season!

I had to stop base for a week because I wasn't getting enough to eat and was becoming malnutritioned, but now that I have that under control I feel awesome.
Old 11-30-06, 06:15 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
I have to have it to avoid being mashed by the monsterous thighs of the Penguin!
I think you've got that reversed!
Old 11-30-06, 06:18 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zimbo
It's all about W/kg dude. That said I'll bet DrWJ's is still higher than mine.

--Steve
Well, its w/kg on the climbs...fortunately for me, not a lot of climbing races around here! If I can manage threshold at around 380 this year (I am hoping the Gods of wattage will pity me and bestow some much needed power) I will be golden. Still, at 76kg, it is nothing spectacular. With my poor math that comes out to what? 4.5 or 4.6 w/kg? I am sure that R600 will be chiming in with his 5.5 w/kg over five minutes or something and so I will just give him his KOM jersey right now.
Old 11-30-06, 06:30 PM
rockrates
DO panic!

Bikes: Scott Speedster, Giant Trance X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was going well until i came down with a mysterious illness. been quite sick for 3 1/2 weeks now, with a grand total of 4 trips out on the bike. if i still feel like s*** tomorrow, off to the hospital i go, as i have all the symptoms of pneumonia
Old 11-30-06, 06:46 PM
PedalMasher
214/13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. Since most of you race, I was wondering how training is going for you? I started my base building a bit early this year and have now started getting into the real workouts. I was happy to be doing some tempo the other day at 320 watts for 1:15 (I try to stick with shorter workouts) which is about 50 watts better than the same time last year. Anyone else showing marked improvement over last years numbers? Give me some inspiration!! I climbed the virtual equivalent of the Peysourde today for 3000 feet of uphill fun. What are you all doing?
Damn that's some serious wattage. I'm a cat 3/4 and can barely hold those numbers during peak season sustained racing. Are you cat 1/2 ?
Old 11-30-06, 06:59 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, its w/kg on the climbs...fortunately for me, not a lot of climbing races around here! If I can manage threshold at around 380 this year (I am hoping the Gods of wattage will pity me and bestow some much needed power) I will be golden. Still, at 76kg, it is nothing spectacular. With my poor math that comes out to what? 4.5 or 4.6 w/kg? I am sure that R600 will be chiming in with his 5.5 w/kg over five minutes or something and so I will just give him his KOM jersey right now.
Haha that makes me feel better about things. Hope for 5.0 for the 1 TT I plan on doing this spring. Only ~25 minutes long though. 65kg at race weight. My FT is probably around yours.
Old 11-30-06, 08:05 PM
zimbo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I can manage threshold at around 380 this year (I am hoping the Gods of wattage will pity me and bestow some much needed power) I will be golden. Still, at 76kg, it is nothing spectacular.
If you can hold 380watts at 76kg for one hour, you're in solid Cat1 territory which is spectacular in my book.

I would piss myself in excitement if I could reach 350 watts at 70kg for one hour sometime in the future. Probably not going to happen this year but I think 325 watts at 70kg is within reach (since I'm at 310 watts and 73 kg right now).

--Steve
Old 11-30-06, 08:39 PM
HDTVKSS
randomness inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
currently in base, looking for 3 peaks this year. 2 longer and 1 shorter.

Its been hard after having 3 or so months off the bike due to mad MTB crash, then getting sick 2 weeks after starting base! but ill get there.... i hope!
Old 11-30-06, 10:26 PM
Squint
base training heretic

Bikes: Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
14 hours a week so far, riding every day. Yesterday I hit a pretty damn high avg for my 20min effort, with the last two minutes jacking it up for another 40w. Only doing that once or twice a week, the rest is LSD and tempo. Hope to be able to roll a 25min TT at 320-325 this spring.

It sounds like he's using a Tacx. One guy did the Alpe d'Huez course on a Tacx and took 4 mins off of Lance's 2004 time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.