Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The post your trailer thread.

Old 08-16-07, 09:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Here is my very cheap (albeit temporary...I'm saving for a Xtracycle) solution ....
Those wheels will wear out pretty quick. When they do, see if your local bike shop can fit some new kid tricycle wheels on it. The newer wheels are actually GIANT inline skate-like wheels. They should wear a long time. Might need a spacer on the basket's axle to make the trike wheels work.
Old 08-17-07, 12:51 AM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
alicestrong,
I wonder if anyone has ever modded a grocery cart as a trailer? I'm thinking those non-metal plastic ones would be fairly light.
Old 08-17-07, 02:01 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShinyBiker
alicestrong,
I wonder if anyone has ever modded a grocery cart as a trailer? I'm thinking those non-metal plastic ones would be fairly light.
There have been a couple on here that have modded grocery carts, but they typically had access to welding tools.
Old 08-20-07, 12:12 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Those wheels will wear out pretty quick. When they do, see if your local bike shop can fit some new kid tricycle wheels on it. The newer wheels are actually GIANT inline skate-like wheels. They should wear a long time. Might need a spacer on the basket's axle to make the trike wheels work.
It's funny you should mention switching out the wheels. The original person who gave me the idea to ziptie the grocery cart to my rack did exactly that. He used his cart for mostly trips to the post office transporting tall cardboard shipping tubes.
Old 08-24-07, 07:49 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The trailer with the bike.

Trailer decor.

"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-25-07, 12:03 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, with that seat angle.
Old 08-25-07, 01:58 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by diff_lock2
Ouch, with that seat angle.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...3&postcount=34
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-25-07, 02:35 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol ok. Have you at least tried a level seat?
Old 08-25-07, 03:01 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of course. That's where I started. I feel like I'm sliding off the saddle when it's that way, and I put excessive pressure on my arms and shoulders trying to "hold myself on". If it makes you feel any better, I'm not the only chick I know who uses this same solution to the same problem.
Old 08-25-07, 03:23 PM
Andronicus

Bikes: More than a few. Less than a dozen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey I can't quite tell, is that a Brooks?
Old 08-25-07, 03:25 PM
Andronicus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Here is my very cheap (albeit temporary...I'm saving for a Xtracycle) solution to the "how to get the dog and catfood that don't fit in the panniers home" problem. This is for the kind of person who would mount a milk crate on their bike and not be embarrassed...

The grocery cart was $10 at the Thrift Store and a bag of 40 zip ties was 99 cents. I do this every two months...about 2 miles round trip on quiet suburban streets. Total weight 45 pounds. After reading this thread I think that I'll put a flag on it for greater visability.

Simple, cheap, and effective ... nothing wrong with that!
Old 08-25-07, 03:29 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andronicus
Hey I can't quite tell, is that a Brooks?
Yes, a B-67.
Old 08-25-07, 04:32 PM
Andronicus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Yes, a B-67.
That is one classy rig you've got there! Yeah, I've heard the Brooks can be tilted back a bit
and still be comfortable. Kind of like a butt-hammock!
Old 08-25-07, 05:53 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Butt hammock or nut cracker? Lol
Old 08-25-07, 11:02 PM
mupedalpusher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm torn about what trailer to get. First I was going to build one but I have changed my mind. Now I'm down to the burley flatbed, the Carry Freedom lg y-frame and maybe the Wicycle DIY kit to make the small flatbed. I can't find much about the Wicycle. I have one friend with a Burley flatbed and one with a y-frame and both swear by them. Each of them critcises the other one but I see good in both. I don't know that I need the size of the burley and I really like the way the y-frame comes apart. I could easily store it in my office. Any one have any strong feelings about these trailers. Of course money is the next big hitch...the Y-frame is so expensive that it keeps making me go back to the other two. I could build the little wicycle kit trailer for about $100 but I just don't know anything about it.
Old 08-26-07, 12:43 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I ruled out the Wike trailer because it won't work with my bike's frame/hub combination, and it looks like that Carry Freedom hitch would have the same problem for me. The Burley Flatbed cost me $100 because I share it with my brother. He only lives about 5 miles from me, so that works out well. It's been great.

The Wike seems very economical and I like the simplicity of the Carry Freedom design. I think you'll be happy with whichever of the 3 you end up choosing. It looks like you've narrowed it down to 3 very high quality trailers.
Old 08-26-07, 04:44 AM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This didn't work well at all.

Old 08-26-07, 07:46 PM
mupedalpusher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ordered the Carry Freedom

After much deliberation I ordered the Carry Freedom. I really like the simplicity and sturdiness of the design. My friend that owns the Burley flatbed also is part owner of a Bikes at Work trailer. Those things are amazing but I don't need anything that major. My other friend owns a Carry Freedom Y-trailer and it is amazingly easy to use and I like the way it folds up. I want to be able to store it in my office because a lot of the use will be on campus for my job. Anyway...I'll let you know how I like it in a few days. I should get it by the end of the week and I plan to immediately put it to use by transporting a bunch of my supplies from the Vet School to the Med School next week for some research we are doing.
Old 08-27-07, 12:05 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That last set of picture (from diff_lock2) is similar in concept to the hitch assembly I built back in the 70's
on mine I had the same framework on the bike (metal, with a brace to seat post though) and used a CV joint instead of the hinge and angle plate shown. which gave a nice tight 'ball and socket' joint at the hitch. advantage there was that the trailer was free to move up/down left/right but didn't have any tendancy to wander while providing a pretty tight turning radious, and keeping hitch weight low.

Ken.
Old 08-27-07, 03:41 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A little something I have been working on.
Old 08-28-07, 07:57 PM
hr2510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504
A little something I have been working on.
Some good ideas going on there. Although I need a 2 wheeler, I just hauled home a old Huffy 10 speed thats only good for parts. I like the hitch idea. Maybe incorporate a U-Joint from the steering shaft of a car....Hmmmmmmm.
Old 08-29-07, 04:37 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't really like how the single wheel affected the handling of the bike so I added another. The only modification I had to do is remove the hitch shem so the trailer does not lean with the bike anymore. It may have problems with tipping since it is thin but I could always cold set it wider since it is cheap steel.
Old 08-29-07, 06:18 PM
JunkyardWarrior

Bikes: royce union (univega) full susp mtb, work trike, assorted extra bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like the look of the one wheel..........maybe you can move the packs more twards the front and down some?............try to lower the center of gravity..........a one wheel trailer feels wierd and takes some gettin used to........especially once you load it
Old 09-08-07, 08:51 AM
bhtooefr

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, I'm a dude (and have been told that I'm NOT small by any means) and I ride with my saddle adjusted somewhat up. No pain whatsoever. And, I've run two saddles, an unknown big huge cushy one with springs, and a moderately padded Bell saddle with a built-in blinky at the same position.

Anyway, this thread is giving me tons of ideas... maybe I WON'T do an Xtracycle...
Old 09-09-07, 08:08 PM
Chicagoan

Bikes: Fixie conversion, a few 10 speeds, a trailer, I GT Transeo for utilitarian riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is My Burley Flatbed. I am extremely satisfied with it.

The orange Edger weighs about 75-80 Pounds and is atleast 30-40 years old just got it fixed

This is a broken Hitch mount bicycle rack, it is bent from being overloaded and will soon be replaced. I will take it to be scrapped tommorow

Groceries

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.