Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Tyler dishing dirt on Tex

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 05:53 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hami...strong-use-epo

Ruh Ro ScooBy Doo
Old 05-19-11, 06:03 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not this .... again....

Must be TDF season coming.
Old 05-19-11, 06:59 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where there's smoke there's fire -- or a smoke generator. Only time will tell . . .
Old 05-19-11, 08:05 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here we go again,

"A former teammate of Lance Armstrong has told ''60 Minutes'' that he used performance-enhancing drugs with the seven-time Tour de France winner to cheat in cycling races, including the tour."

https://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/sto...1911?GT1=39002

ps: wonder if lemond will say something

Last edited by ultraman6970; 05-19-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-19-11, 08:38 PM
Rotten Bastard

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970

ps: wonder how much lemond will gloat
Fixed.
Old 05-19-11, 11:06 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Lance Armstrong is going to win this year regardless of what the haters say!!!!!
Old 05-19-11, 11:26 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will concede he's probably telling the truth...but I stopped caring about 5 years ago.
Old 05-19-11, 11:55 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, does Eki get the gold medal now?
Old 05-20-11, 04:43 AM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
So, does Eki get the gold medal now?
Exactly. Its easy to confess now that he has nothing to lose. Not saying he isn't telling the truth, though.
Old 05-20-11, 06:39 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 Min must be desperate for a story. This happened how long ago? Who cares.
Old 05-20-11, 06:45 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would anyone believe this liar? He and Floyd are two bitter loser who doped, lied about it, got caught, and now are trying to bring everyone else down with them.
Old 05-20-11, 07:17 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel bad for Tyler. Obviously Lance's lawyers have already set out to assassinate his character because that's what they do with these guys. You have to wonder how much his depression was related to what he knew and living a lie for all that time.

Why did he come out now? It's pretty simple, really. The feds came knocking and he didn't feel like getting busted for perjury. I always got the feeling that with the way his career ended he would have been happy to kind of fade away and be forgotten. Hard to do that with the investigation going on.
Old 05-20-11, 07:22 AM
Brazos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a lot of people just assume Lance dopped along with most of the riders. Hearing some of the accusers talk is compelling and creates doubt. There are two things that stick out to me in support of Lance. First is why now? Lance is retired. He was a much bigger target when he was actually racing and winning the TdF. The accusers lead you to believe that most all the peleton was doping and everyone knew it. If so how was it possible for Lance to keep the lid on it for so many years while winning TdF after TdF? You would think there had to be a network of people in place to get the EPO to Lance. People being human it seems somebody would have slipped up and spilled the beans back when this was happening. It also seems that competing teams that were getting beat year after year by Lance (losing millions and tons of fame) would have been able to come up with evidence at the time. There would have had to be multiple people who had direct knowledge while all this was going on. The fact that people knew this but let Lance win year after year stealing the race and not come foward while it was going on does not make sense. People have loose lips, they get jealous, mad, want money, want fame, have a conscience, etc.

Now we are years after the fact and there is no real hard evidence. No failed drug test. No samples to test. No pictures of Lance dopping. No accounting evidence, etc. All it seems we have are a few people accusing Lance. Their stories really sound believable (not saying the stories aren't true). The problem is these people have been busted for doping and thrown out of cycling. There whole life's work has been ruined. They are most likely bitter about their choices & their lives. Under their circumstances it would be human nature to try to take everyone else down with them. If they can bring everyone else down, especially cyclings biggest star, then somehow they can justify their actions to the world.

I don't know if Lance dopped or not. But the two areas I listed above just stick out to me in Lance's favor. It reminds me of the movie JFK. After watching JFK your mind is spinning with all the circumstantial evidence that some huge conspiracy was behind JFK's assasination. At the end of the day I believe it was just Lee Harvey and his mail order rifle. Some stories are just way to big to keep a secret.
Old 05-20-11, 08:19 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Brazos
I know a lot of people just assume Lance dopped along with most of the riders. Hearing some of the accusers talk is compelling and creates doubt. There are two things that stick out to me in support of Lance. First is why now? Lance is retired. He was a much bigger target when he was actually racing and winning the TdF. The accusers lead you to believe that most all the peleton was doping and everyone knew it. If so how was it possible for Lance to keep the lid on it for so many years while winning TdF after TdF? You would think there had to be a network of people in place to get the EPO to Lance. People being human it seems somebody would have slipped up and spilled the beans back when this was happening. It also seems that competing teams that were getting beat year after year by Lance (losing millions and tons of fame) would have been able to come up with evidence at the time. There would have had to be multiple people who had direct knowledge while all this was going on. The fact that people knew this but let Lance win year after year stealing the race and not come foward while it was going on does not make sense. People have loose lips, they get jealous, mad, want money, want fame, have a conscience, etc.
Just a counterpoint to your first argument: The people who are coming out now (Landis, Hamilton) had a whole lot to lose during Lance's racing career, too. In fact these two have admitted/been caught for doping. During their careers, they were lying about their own activities. Why would they have accused Lance when it would only have come back and stung themselves?

So now, they have nothing to lose by making accusations about Lance. In fact, they may have something to gain through fees for giving speaches, interviews, other media, etc. I'm not saying they are lying now, only that it doesn't surprise me that they kept quite while racing and reaping the rewards of Lance's popularity but feel like talking about it now.
Old 05-20-11, 08:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
At this point, I'm pretty sure he doped but just don't care any more.

Old 05-20-11, 10:28 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now we are years after the fact and there is no real hard evidence. No failed drug test. No samples to test. No pictures of Lance dopping. No accounting evidence, etc. All it seems we have are a few people accusing Lance. Their stories really sound believable (not saying the stories aren't true). The problem is these people have been busted for doping and thrown out of cycling. There whole life's work has been ruined. They are most likely bitter about their choices & their lives. Under their circumstances it would be human nature to try to take everyone else down with them. If they can bring everyone else down, especially cyclings biggest star, then somehow they can justify their actions to the world.

I don't know if Lance dopped or not. But the two areas I listed above just stick out to me in Lance's favor. It reminds me of the movie JFK. After watching JFK your mind is spinning with all the circumstantial evidence that some huge conspiracy was behind JFK's assasination. At the end of the day I believe it was just Lee Harvey and his mail order rifle. Some stories are just way to big to keep a secret.

Keep in mind - this does not equate to "did not dope". Allegations of UCI pay-offs, use of experimental drugs (which testers were even unaware of), masking agents.... Just saying, Riis was not caught, but he was doped to the gills in the 1996 Tour. Under your argument, it means he was clean.
Old 05-20-11, 10:33 AM
BummBull

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Orbea Lobular, Jamis Dragon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as we find out about what other former US Postal riders(like George Hincapie, who I think is credible) testified, truth will be out. Also, people saying Tyler Hamilton is doing this for fame? Are you serious? He had to tell the truth to the Grand Jury or he'll go to jail! Also, he should know how Floyd Landis has been treated for the past year for coming out with truth, why would Hamilton want to do that to himself?

I like Lance. I think he's a hardworker, very intelligent guy, and funny on commercials, but he doped. I hate all of his followers who back him up. They're super annoying with "he's never failed a test..blah blah blah." Have they ever watched or follow pro cycling?

I was listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN this morning, and one of the questions Greenie asked Jalen Rose is, howcome Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, they're all villified from accusation of doping, but not Lance. Lance doesn't get villified by the entire nation like those three. Mark McGwire was really liked before the accusation but not anymore. I think Jalen Rose answered something like, Nobody cares about cycling in America.
I think that's the truth. Baseball, most of Americans understand it, but with cycling, most Americans don't watch and don't care about it, so they can only go by not testing positive.
Old 05-20-11, 10:36 AM
Allez3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a lot of people just assume Lance dopped along with most of the riders. Hearing some of the accusers talk is compelling and creates doubt. There are two things that stick out to me in support of Lance. First is why now? Lance is retired. He was a much bigger target when he was actually racing and winning the TdF.
This is what I don't get. You leave a team and join another and can take down your biggest competitor yet you don't do anything until 10 years later when you get caught and are trying to sell a book?

Maybe he doped, maybe he didn't. But I find it odd that he never got caught. Not ever. Then, he came back in 2009 at the age of 38 and still almost won the TDF at a time where there was no way in heck he could have gotten away with doping. If he didn't have the skills, he wouldn't have been in the top 10, adn certainly not finished third. Not at 38 years old. No way, no how.

Dude gets the benefit of the doubt from me until proven otherwise. Sorry. You can think what you want. Sometimes people just have a physical ability that surpases that of others.

Last edited by Allez3; 05-20-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-20-11, 11:14 AM
Wheater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Why did he come out now? It's pretty simple, really. The feds came knocking and he didn't feel like getting busted for perjury. I always got the feeling that with the way his career ended he would have been happy to kind of fade away and be forgotten. Hard to do that with the investigation going on.
+1 -- A lot of things change when your involvement goes from being "part of the sport" to becoming (literally) a federal case.
Old 05-20-11, 11:28 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a wait-and-see outlook on all the allegations of his doping during his seven tour wins. I was convinced that he did dope pre-cancer, but thought that he wouldn't, or more accurately, I thought he'd be less inclined to do it again after his illness. But with witness after witness coming forward (Andreu, O'Reilly, Anderson, Landis, & Hamilton), the wait is over. I'm convinced he doped during his seven Tour wins. But since just about every other top contender has been caught or admitted to doping during that time, I do not think Lance had an "unfair" advantage.
Old 05-20-11, 11:41 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten Bastard
Fixed.
Wonder how much lemond doped.
Old 05-20-11, 11:50 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I feel bad for Tyler. Obviously Lance's lawyers have already set out to assassinate his character because that's what they do with these guys. You have to wonder how much his depression was related to what he knew and living a lie for all that time.

Exactly what character? He got caught and spent time and money lieing about it!
Old 05-20-11, 11:57 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't he also collect donations for his defense?
Old 05-20-11, 11:59 AM
Allez3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Wonder how much lemond doped.
That would be interesting to know... Especially since I used to respect this guy so much and he's spent the last few years being a total punk.

Originally Posted by BummBull
As soon as we find out about what other former US Postal riders(like George Hincapie, who I think is credible) testified, truth will be out.
If anyone has credibility here it's George. Hands down. If he says Lance did it, my view would change. The rest of these people sound like 9/11 truthers trying to perpetuate a great conspiracy.

Last edited by Allez3; 05-20-11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-20-11, 12:00 PM
Brazos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never posted about my thoughts on Lance and dopping (or Lance at all) until this thread. But going back to my post above I just don't see how he never got caught. Lance was huge winning TdF after TdF but yet nobody came foward with credible evidence he was doping. He didn't fail any drug test, etc. I am not saying the guy didn't do it as I just don't know. I can see some of the noname riders somewhere in the middle of the peleton doping and getting away with it for years. I am sure people know about the noname guys doping but nobody cares. But Lance Armstrong full of EPO and who knows what else not getting caught just doesn't sit right with me. I just can't explain this away to myself. But I can explain his success in that he is an athlete of a lifetime. He had the best teams. He never had any wrecks to speak of. You start adding up the perfect storm of a great athlete, great teams, sponsers, support, great luck in not wrecking and getting injured its not so hard to see how he did it. The last TdF, though I did not think he would win, he was plauged with bad luck and got 22nd. How he was able to get so lucky for 7 straight years is simply amazing to me. As someone stated above I will wait and see what people like George Hincapie, Levi (did he have to testify?), and others say under oath before I am convinced. I am not trying to bury my head in the sand it just seems impossible to me that he was able to pull off a HUGE conspiracy (making millions of dollars) for such a long, long time and get away with it. The simple explaination is he is an athlete of a lifetime with everything he needed in place to capitalize on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.