Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 10:22 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
SoCal three speed tour

So I've been kicking this idea around with the local Rivendell club, and there's some real interest. For those not familiar with the subculture, you can check out the Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour. Don't forget to take a look at the YouTube videos posted at the bottom of the page.

I know this is a bit similar to the "tweed rides" that have been popping up, but I'm thinking less "hipster" and more "grown-ups who just enjoy bicycling". The question in my mind is "How many folks in Southern California are interested in ditching their carbon bikes for a day and playing 'Gentleman Cyclist'?"

So this thread is one way for me to gauge interest. I'm picturing a +/- 50 mile day tour through pretty scenery. Maybe beach path, inland bike trail, ???, with good company, a nice meal in there somewhere, and no Lycra/STI/etc. The emphasis would be on older-style steel frames with internally geared hubs, but fixed gear/ single speeds would be welcome, along with older steel derailleur bikes, especially of British heritage. Nothing would be "disallowed", but showing up with the latest racing bike and full team kit would likely get you made fun of, albeit gently.

I'd appreciate hearing from any folks who might be interested in participating.
Old 05-14-10, 09:16 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I'm on board, as long as there isn't too much climbing. [Edit: And as long as we embark from somewhere in the region of an Amtrak station. (I love taking my bikes on the train.)]

Last edited by calamarichris; 05-14-10 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 09:49 AM
PolishGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds good to me also. I'd been thinking of doing a shorter, 20-25 miles, "roadster" ride in the West San Fernando Valley area but that's as far as it's gone.....just thought. Great idea. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-14-10, 05:51 PM
Six jours

I'm a bit torn on hills/distance/etc. I have a four speed Sturmey hub and drop bars and enjoy centuries and rolling hills. I've never used the three speed AW, nor upright bars. I understand that neither makes for a great climbing bike, and that really long distances might not be enjoyed by the typical (if there is such a thing these days) three speeder.

And there does seem to be a real difference between what is being done by the Lake Pepin folks vs. the folks in the 1955 videos. I don't yet know whether a SoCal ride should lean more toward the former or the latter. I personally think something a bit more "spirited" than the 4 mph average at Lake Pepin would be enjoyable, but I also recognize that most folks aren't going to be interested in a century ride through the mountains, either.

Opinions?

Last edited by Six jours; 05-14-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 05:57 PM
Six jours

Oh, re. trains -- I agree. That does limit our routes, however. For example, I think it might be tough to have a Southbay beach path route accessible by train -- though I'm not completely up to speed on our local rail system. The Rivendell club did have a very pleasant San Diego ride a few months back, with the meet-up at a train station...
Old 05-14-10, 07:25 PM
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo-Retro monthly Rose Bowl ride. I grant you that this is not specifically oriented toward the Stermy-Archer internally geared propulsion, and there are some who regularly come clad in lycra, but the emphasis is on pre 85 vintage bikes with many restored and some in process. Monthly route is 25 miles, with a coffee stop and leasurely pace.
Old 05-15-10, 12:20 AM
Six jours

The Rose Bowl ride is great fun, with wonderful people and very interesting bikes. I wonder if the three speed stuff can stand on its own in SoCal, though.

I've started a club/website. It's my first attempt at a website, so if it's godawful, well, that's why.
Old 05-17-10, 07:50 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a "hipster" bite you?
Old 05-17-10, 09:24 AM
PolishGuy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ride an old Raleigh Trent Sports with an FW hub and drop bars on the same routes that I used to ride my TREK 1000 and Univega road bikes. It takes me a little more time to do the same 25 mile route and there are some hills I have to walk up. But other than that, it is doable. I've ridden a shorter 18 mile loop around Chatsworth Lake on the DL1 and have had no problems with the rolling hills in that area. I guess it depends on whether you want to do a "spirited" club ride or more relaxed tour/sight-seeing ride. PG.
Old 05-17-10, 12:30 PM
grrlyrida
pretty n pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested in this ride too. I'm planning on buying one of those vintage-looking Dutch touring bikes for shopping at Traders and doing errands around Silverlake. I hope I don't look too hipsterly.
Old 05-17-10, 01:31 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grrlyrida
I hope I don't look too hipsterly.
Real hipsters have flasks instead of bottles.
Old 05-17-10, 03:02 PM
grrlyrida
pretty n pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops I need to turn in my hipster card. My new bike won't have a flask. Does a front basket count?
Old 05-17-10, 03:48 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested if Rick would loan me his ride...
Old 05-17-10, 06:48 PM
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grrlyrida
Oops I need to turn in my hipster card. My new bike won't have a flask. Does a front basket count?
Only if it has one of those little miniature Yorke things in it.
Old 05-17-10, 07:48 PM
Six jours

Re. hipsters...

I haven't really got anything against them and I hope the site reflects that. (Some of you haven't signed up yet... Help a brother out!) It's just that I want folks to know that it's not exactly a tweed ride or what have you, and people who are looking for that might be disappointed if they show up to a ride and discover they're the only one with a nose piercing. (Nose piercings are welcome, though!)
Old 05-18-10, 08:58 AM
buck65
cherish the day

Bikes: Rivendel Sam Hillborne, SOMA San Marcos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe
Velo-Retro monthly Rose Bowl ride. I grant you that this is not specifically oriented toward the Stermy-Archer internally geared propulsion, and there are some who regularly come clad in lycra, but the emphasis is on pre 85 vintage bikes with many restored and some in process. Monthly route is 25 miles, with a coffee stop and leasurely pace.

I met the dude who runs the VR site about a year and a half ago while at my favorite coffee shop. He's a pretty cool guy with TONS of knowledge, and I think he mentioned having about 50 bikes. But while chatting with him, he mentioned his monthly Rose Bowl ride. It's definitely not a top speed affair, and definately doable for the aspiring gentleman cyclist.
Old 05-18-10, 07:02 PM
Six jours

I haven't done that ride in years. Last time I did it I brought my '82 Bianchi with Super record and had to work a bit to keep up with the leaders. I'm glad to hear it's more relaxed now - or maybe there was always a more relaxed group, and I was just too busy trying to ride up front to notice.

FWIW, the website is official: www.threespeedtouringclub.com. Hope to see everyone there, and we'll be adding content daily.
Old 05-19-10, 02:39 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
I would be interested if Rick would loan me his ride...
No problem Alice,

You've got it! Well, there is a slight problem, i.e. only top and middle gear right now . . . have to take it to the bike shop and have them find first. It's a Hercules vintage 1957 with fenders and a rear rack.

We could ride our fixed gear bikes though (mine is inferior having only 1 bell, as you know).

Oh, and I have ridden the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour 3 times!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-19-10, 06:21 PM
Six jours

Actually, Rick, I'd known that you rode Lake Pepin and was hoping you'd sign up with the SoCal club!
Old 05-19-10, 06:38 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Real hipsters have flasks instead of bottles.

I bought a flask today in honor of you! I don't have the cool mount, though...
Old 05-19-10, 07:01 PM
Six jours

Flasks are for lightweights. The hard core cyclist brings a stove!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0573..jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-25-10, 11:23 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Detailed Report from Jon on the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour 2010:

The Riders of the Realm assembled with their ship-shape Worthy Steeds at the Red Wing waterfront for another mission to sail around Lake Pepin. Baggage was deposited in the hold of the 3-speed lorry, old friendships were renewed, hands were shaken and soon the Vicar was delivering the highly-anticipated Blessing of the Bicycles from the Bulletin. The message of Godspeed from the Queen was delivered by Petty Officer John Palmer and First Mate Willy Gobert. This year included a signed letter of recommendation from the Canadian Parliament to Admirals STO and Noel Robinson. Gone are the days when we questioned the ability of this leaking old vessel to complete the appointed tour of duty; this English Navy is hale and hearty, thank you, and quite up to the task.

Soon we shoved off from port Red Wing and those friends and family left behind were waving their kerchiefs as we floated off into the unknown. Cool and cloudy with a light breeze at Force 3 on the Beaufort Scale proved near perfect sailing weather as we cruised past the Bow and Arrow marker. Soon, a rogue wave appeared on the horizon; the Bay City Hill. Some fortified themselves with ice cream and readied themselves for the charge. Full speed ahead was the call to the engine room as the bow rose up to meet the challenge. At the top, the Nutters felt the wave to be nothing more than a gentle swell and they paused to gather their courage for the descent. Down they went into the trough hurtling at high speed. Several more waves were encountered plus a welcomed rain shower that kept our record intact (there has never been a 3-Speed Tour without rain) and soon we were in Maiden Rock.

With the Smiling Pelican Bakery in dry dock, Maiden Rock proved to be an empty port-of-call and so we moved on. Wave after wave came our way but we rode them all and soon Stockholm harbour was in view and shore leave was granted for lunch. While we ate, and without warning, Force 3 became Force 4 and so the die was cast. By the time we hoisted anchor, Force 5 was upon us and we could do little but ride it out. The pier at Pepin soon was a welcome sight. For one unlucky Sailor who was enjoying the day on the pier, his 3-speed was caught by a Force 6 gust and off it went to Davy Jones Locker in 12 feet of water. A rescue mission was immediately mounted and soon both rider and steed were found dripping safely on shore. From Pepin, the Force 6 wind turned into a Force 7 gale. We fought our way toward [Lord] Nelson whereupon we were greeted with Force 8 and hapless Sailor Scott was cast adrift and blown off course to Alma; several miles down stream. A chance encounter with good friend Dave Siskind who happened to be on tour in the area, fixed Scott’s rudder and set him back on course. At that time we received word about another castaway, Peter Jourdain, who became separated from the group early on and then rode to Wabasha mistakenly on the Minnesota side.

We finally made Wabasha and the Eagle’s Nest proved a welcome port for the evening. All the appreciative Nutters were well fed by Java Jim and Java Jan as we shared an entire roast hog fresh off the spit along with our favourite; English mushy peas washed down with English ale. Cap’n Porter, our Keeper of the Cask, declared the taps open and rations of grog was issued to the crew. After dinner we honored our oldest rider Bob Owen at 91 years of age, Ron Grogg, our Opportunist, announced a toast and the Vicar then led us in boisterous song with accompaniment by the Carrigan Girls.

Sunday morning dawned pleasant with Force 2 winds but humid and cloudy and after another amazing breakfast by the Eagle’s Nest we set sail on course for Lake City. The hills seemed like pleasant waves as the miles rolled by. Beautiful views of the lake were at every curve. Lake City could be seen in the distance like a beacon as the tailwind push us along. Finally, safe harbour was gained, supplies were procured and the Brew-Up was under way. Truly a new Gentleman’s and Gentlewoman’s sport, the competitive tea brewing proved popular to contestant and spectator alike. Some Nutters watched, some napped, but all were impressed when fine china was pulled from the saddlebags, tea was brewed and treats were served. The crew of Sandy Muzzy and Mark Wagar were declared the winners but Peter Jourdain and Juston/Judy Anderson were very, very close behind.

The next port-of-call was Old Frontenac and a quick visit to the 1850s cemetery was in order. The Old Stone Wall was next on the list with many photos taken and lots of chit-chat. By then, the heat was becoming oppressive but we had one more stop to make: the geodesic treehouse. An amazing structure placed well up in an ancient hackberry tree, it proved a worthy curiosity and completely unexpected in this idyllic setting.

We pressed on through New Frontenac and down Ski Road; a delightful alternate route that was lined with wildflowers and scenic vistas across the valley.

Eventually we made Red Wing and dropped anchor. Sadly, our tour of duty was over for another year. Dinner at the Staghead was a welcome relief from the heat and all the Nutters raised a glass to our successes, failures, discoveries and promises. Once again proving the humble 3-speed is the ship-of-choice for adventure both nautical and otherwise.
Photos available at:
https://imageevent.com/abce/20103st

Best along the path,
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser
www.3speedtour.com
www.ABCEtour.com
https://groups.google.com/group/gentlemancyclist
Old 05-25-10, 06:37 PM
Six jours

Huh. I'd been under the impression it was supposed to be a bicycle ride...

Did you do it this year?
Old 05-28-10, 07:58 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Huh. I'd been under the impression it was supposed to be a bicycle ride...
Did you do it this year?
No, not this year. For me and my wife, it's always a choice between the Davis Double and the Lake Pepin Tour. This year I rode Davis!

Here is (Lake Pepin Tour Organizer) Jon's note to the SoCal 3-Speed Club:

This is a very big world and there are countless 3-speeds that need new homes and need to be ridden. There are countless riders that need to discover that true adventure and companionship require no lycra nor carbon nor colours that don't occur in nature.

There are countless spirits to be raised, countless new friends to be made and countless new hamlets to explore. Adventure is the goal, my friend, and the humble 3-speed is the key.

Best of luck and we'll expect progress reports,
Jon / STO (Shirt Tail Organizer)
Old 05-29-10, 09:14 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Six jours;10837215]Flasks are for lightweights. The hard core cyclist brings a stove!

Hmmm...I'll have to unearth my collection of vintage camping stoves and find a suitable one.

I still need the right bike...Rick My pink fixie is too "hipsterish"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.