Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Trek Hybrids

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Trek Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 02:44 PM
kashride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Hybrids

Can someone tell me why Trek hybrids, like the FX series, are so popular? I noticed that most people with hybrids have a trek. Not trying to offend Trek fans out there. I'm new to cycling and simply want to know what makes Trek the top choice for most. Thanks!
Old 05-25-11, 03:12 PM
kashride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant to put this in the "hybrids" section of the forum. Don't know how to move it. Moderator help?
Old 05-25-11, 03:24 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I will reply quick before it gets moved

Trek is a huge company and is one of the largest if not the largest bicycle selling company in the US. They also sell through multiple outlets.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-25-11, 04:11 PM
kashride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaron, are you saying that Trek is popular due to their exposure in the market? Any difference quality-wise?
Old 05-25-11, 05:35 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the hybrid concept because I can't ride bent over anymore due to a neck injury. If I were to get another conventional bicycle it would be a hybrid with skinny tires for faster speed. Trek and Giant are the monster brands in the USA and probably the world. Their quality seems about the same in the lower price range. Both are better than the bicycles sold in big box stores.
Old 05-25-11, 06:08 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kashride
Aaron, are you saying that Trek is popular due to their exposure in the market? Any difference quality-wise?
Yes. Trek is decent quality for the price. I prefer Giant over Trek for a variety of reasons. Amongst the major brands sold at the LBS there isn't really one that is that much better than the other on the lower to mid end of the price range. Trek has some dealer policies that I am not fond of, but that is personal.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-26-11, 09:47 AM
kashride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx for all the responses!
Old 05-26-11, 06:46 PM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kashride
Thx for all the responses!
I bought a Trex FX 7.3 this year. I just love it. It is a nice smooth ride and I can get up some speed, without having to lean forward. I recommend it!
Old 05-27-11, 12:00 PM
PolishGuy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Giant, Specialized and TREK are to the bike world in a similar way what Chrysler, Ford and GM are to the automotive world. When I got back into cycling in 2000 I bought a TREK Navigator 100 hybrid bike. It did what I wanted at the time. The warranty from TREK was great, the LBS was only a few blocks from the house with a staff that was friendly and helpfull and the price was right. I personally liked the look and features of the TREK bike but all three make very good products, hard to go wrong with any bike from one of these three makers. PG.
Old 05-27-11, 03:50 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Since this thread hasn't been moved yet to the Hybrid forum, may I present a different opinion. When I started commuting, I wanted an upright geometry.

But I soon discovered that being upright all the time wasn't the most efficient, nor was it the most comfortable.

Also, I found the number of hand positions on most hybrid bicycles very uncomfortable for wrists and arms.

I definitely prefer drop bars on a touring geometry.... especially for longish trips.
Old 05-27-11, 04:23 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Since this thread hasn't been moved yet to the Hybrid forum, may I present a different opinion. When I started commuting, I wanted an upright geometry.

But I soon discovered that being upright all the time wasn't the most efficient, nor was it the most comfortable.

Also, I found the number of hand positions on most hybrid bicycles very uncomfortable for wrists and arms.

I definitely prefer drop bars on a touring geometry.... especially for longish trips.
Yes, if you're going to be riding more than a few miles a day, it might be better to consider something other than an upright hybrid. Drop bars are an excellent choice. If you prefer flat bars, a mountain bike will give you a more aerodynamic ruding position, and horns or bar ends will give you a variety of hand positions.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-27-11, 08:52 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek FX series really made a big jump in the last couple years or so. Heck, i've ridden quite a few (ranging from low to the full carbon frame version) and they are really awesome. As for quality, i'd say they are pretty nice and a big draw towards Trek is the support you get from the local Trek Dealers who all seem to be pretty neat, as well as warranty support. Sorry, just a big Trek fan here...haha.

.Chris
Old 06-10-11, 12:01 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Aaron. Trek models are easy to find as they're readily available everywhere, at least here in CA. They have models in a wide price range for all different tastes so almost anyone looking for a hybrid type bike would find something to their liking in the Trek line.

I think the same quality and variety goes for the Giant and Specialized bike lines, but I've noticed that I can't find those two makers as easily as I've found Treks. I don't know why.
Old 06-13-11, 11:03 AM
Bike-a-Boo

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, Batavus Entrada, MEC Origami Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Trek 7.3 FX that I've ridden for a few years now and I recently bought a Soho. I've had great experiences with my Trek hybrids.