Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Depression

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling and Depression

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 10:01 PM
BigK75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
+1 for not just stopping the prescribed medication(s). Let your doctor know what you are thinking about doing first, as said, you need to slowly titrate the dosage down before it can be safely stopped without doing you harm.

As to children, we have two, now grown and out in the world. One had S.A.D. and clinical depression that therapy helped tremendously, short term medication that the doc DX'ed when it was safe. Other has none so far, is an epileptic that uses medication for control. My family was my strength and they knew fully what was going on and were there for me, unconditionally. Getting safely off of the Rx pain medications was the biggest help in lifting the depression and that is a running gun battle with life lone chronic pain from all the surgeries and the C.R.F. I have (Stage 3B)

I wish everyone all the best in controlling this debilitating disease, bicycling/exercise has aided me greatly and I plan to ride for the rest of my days, hopefully for many, many years.

Bill
Wait....your Bill from November 2012 Road Bike Action magazine. I just put the two together when I read your story and saw the small pic. Way to go Bill. Keep on riding. You must one of the toughest guys I ever heard of. Happy riding. I wish you nothing but health and happy riding for another 40 years.

Claude
Old 11-25-12, 10:11 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
If I didn't bicycle--or at least run--I'd have even more mental issues than I currently have. That's a depressing thought.
Old 11-25-12, 11:50 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
clinical depression is a beast. My ex-wife had it and we never found a combination of drugs, or activities that helped. After we split up we remained great friends for years before losing touch and I worry at times about her.
Old 11-26-12, 06:35 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
If I didn't bicycle--or at least run--I'd have even more mental issues than I currently have.
I saw a t-shirt on someone running once saying "No problem is so big or complicated you can't run from." So true whether it's running or cycling.
Old 11-26-12, 06:57 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
BigK75,
Yes, I am the same Bill, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the thoughts. Not a tough guy by any stretch of the imagination, I am just trying to not allow my health problems rule my life and my choices.

Best wishes to you, also, for many years of riding enjoyment.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-26-12, 07:24 AM
BigK75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bill. I too have gone through some tough times with my health starting iny 20s. i was diagnosed with Addison's disease a very rare automimmune disease. Before I was diagnosed I was sure I was going to die. It took the doctors months to figure it out. By the time they did I weighed 165lbs (at 6'4"). I am now doing great and don't really even notice I have the disease as long as I take my pills.

I have also battled extreme anxiety/hypochondriac problems which I am sure were caused by the stress or watching my dad go through a stroke at 48 which took his life and my best friend . Cognitive behavioural therapy helped me deal with some of those issues. Riding has been an immense help and I hope to ride for many many more years to come.

God bless and cheers to good health
Old 11-26-12, 08:04 AM
dleccord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you guys done mdma in the past?
Old 11-26-12, 09:27 AM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that exercise in any form has been the most effective thing for Depression.I'm sure i would have offed myself by now if I couldn't cycle or run.I'm not convinced by this serotonin theory ,but I know exercise gets you mind off things and the blood pumping to your brain seems to get the old grey matter working a bit better
Old 11-26-12, 09:38 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
This thread has to be the best thread ever in BF. I had no idea how many of us are hurting in ways that are not readily visible to others.

I was never one much into "sharing" feelings--I am from a generation and a cultural background where males just STFU and HTFU.

I am still in the HTFU camp (at least when I am riding my bike) but I am glad that we are all sharing.
Old 11-26-12, 09:58 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sometimes struggle with depression a little, not severe enough to seek professional help imho, just get some funk on me every now and again (once every few years or so) and can take a month or so to get past. exercise usually helps a little, I just have to recognize it and seek out the sources of relief I need. for me, I find having a solid group of real men to talk with with helps. I'm fortunate that I have a couple close friends I can talk to about problems in my life, kind of like a sounding board for things. I also have a pretty good group of men in my church I can rely upon and are privy to the problems depression has caused in my life. once I learned how to recognize the symptoms in my life I find myself and lot more able to deal with it effectively.

in my experience, it takes a strong person to admit they have problems with depression. I find that once I get it dealt with I want to exercise more though I've found in MY life desire for exercise is a symptom of overcoming depression, not the cause for overcoming it. YMMV of course, but always stay alert to things in your life and don't wait to get help. depression can cause you to make some not so great life altering decisions, I almost lost my wife and kids while battling it.
Old 11-26-12, 10:46 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dleccord
have you guys done mdma in the past?
when i was in high school til i was about 20
Old 11-26-12, 12:49 PM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow...great thread. I'm getting back into "mainstream" road riding after spending a long time in the classic and vintage area when I saw this thread. I've suffered from Dysthemia ( a low grade chronic depresive state) probably all my life but wasn't diagnosed until 2006. Went through about a dozen meds until the Dr and I settled on a combination of Effexor and Ritalin to be most effective. Been on this for almost 2 years. At my last meeting with the Dr I mentioned that if this is what feeling normal/good is all about, then I don't want to go back. I've also gone to support groups and have also found that cycling in any form is a tremendous help for me; your results may vary. Good luck with your efforts. You will find the right combination(s) of meds and Drs. PG.
Old 11-26-12, 01:33 PM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If cycling helps depression, then my mother is properly motivated to win the Tour De France at 72 years old....

Last edited by Ridelots24; 11-26-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 03:44 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been interested in this thread. I don't have depression, but my wife does - so I probably have a reasonable understanding of the condition.

Question: I understand how riding seems to lift the 'dark clouds' for a while. But has anyone seen any long-term effects? I.e. can cycling (or other forms of similar exercise) help to reduce the condition, in general?
Old 11-26-12, 04:08 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I've been interested in this thread. I don't have depression, but my wife does - so I probably have a reasonable understanding of the condition.

Question: I understand how riding seems to lift the 'dark clouds' for a while. But has anyone seen any long-term effects? I.e. can cycling (or other forms of similar exercise) help to reduce the condition, in general?
Well, my own experience is that for major depression exercise is not an effective monotherapy. It also has it's own side-effects. I tried more intensive cycling than I usually do earlier in the year and got very tired which made the depression worse, not better. There's a fine line to be had there.

For some folks with chronic dysthymic disorder it can do the trick.

Old 11-26-12, 04:50 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
This thread has to be the best thread ever in BF. I had no idea how many of us are hurting in ways that are not readily visible to others.

I was never one much into "sharing" feelings--I am from a generation and a cultural background where males just STFU and HTFU.

I am still in the HTFU camp (at least when I am riding my bike) but I am glad that we are all sharing.
I was like that until I stumbled upon this thing called reality and mental illness.
Thank you and good luck to you.
Old 11-26-12, 04:53 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonz50
I sometimes struggle with depression a little, not severe enough to seek professional help imho, just get some funk on me every now and again (once every few years or so) and can take a month or so to get past. exercise usually helps a little, I just have to recognize it and seek out the sources of relief I need. for me, I find having a solid group of real men to talk with with helps. I'm fortunate that I have a couple close friends I can talk to about problems in my life, kind of like a sounding board for things. I also have a pretty good group of men in my church I can rely upon and are privy to the problems depression has caused in my life. once I learned how to recognize the symptoms in my life I find myself and lot more able to deal with it effectively.

in my experience, it takes a strong person to admit they have problems with depression. I find that once I get it dealt with I want to exercise more though I've found in MY life desire for exercise is a symptom of overcoming depression, not the cause for overcoming it. YMMV of course, but always stay alert to things in your life and don't wait to get help. depression can cause you to make some not so great life altering decisions, I almost lost my wife and kids while battling it.
Its tough, good luck to you...............I mean it!
Old 11-26-12, 04:55 PM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
Wow...great thread. I'm getting back into "mainstream" road riding after spending a long time in the classic and vintage area when I saw this thread. I've suffered from Dysthemia ( a low grade chronic depresive state) probably all my life but wasn't diagnosed until 2006. Went through about a dozen meds until the Dr and I settled on a combination of Effexor and Ritalin to be most effective. Been on this for almost 2 years. At my last meeting with the Dr I mentioned that if this is what feeling normal/good is all about, then I don't want to go back. I've also gone to support groups and have also found that cycling in any form is a tremendous help for me; your results may vary. Good luck with your efforts. You will find the right combination(s) of meds and Drs. PG.
Thank You!!
Old 11-26-12, 05:06 PM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over whelming response's and great positive input and sharing. I thought long and hard before starting this thread.
I am writing a book called "Along the Way", it is meant to be a self help type autobiography of my trials and tribulations with depression.
Old 11-26-12, 05:56 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

ThinLine,
Best of luck to you, I hope you can write the book and get it published. I will add that I would not depend on cycling or any other exercise/activity alone, as some have said. Find a good doctor that will listen to you and work with you as you go along. If you want to use talk therapy with a psychiatrist or psychologist take the time to find one you can work with and that will take your input as well as reply to your answers to their questions, I gave up on one that had this thing about cursing and said it was necessary to let go of things. If that is the answer I should return to the Marines and go through PI again.

Listen to what the doctor tells you, have them listen to what you have to say, take the medications if they are prescribed for your situation and if it helps the by all means Ride Safe and Ride Lots, I do.

Bill

Old 11-26-12, 06:16 PM
mileslong

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great thread.... when I learned about mindfulness and how being mindful helps me spot how my thought patterns are leading me towards rumination and the angry moods that are the manifestation of my depression, my life changed forever.

Depression is an illness of the brain and the mind.. read Jon Kabat-Zihn's "The Mindful Way Through Depression", it may help you understand the relationship between your thoughts and how you feel.

If that doesn't work, buy something new for your bike, that always makes me feel better!
Old 11-27-12, 05:26 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
ThinLine,
Best of luck to you, I hope you can write the book and get it published. I will add that I would not depend on cycling or any other exercise/activity alone, as some have said. Find a good doctor that will listen to you and work with you as you go along. If you want to use talk therapy with a psychiatrist or psychologist take the time to find one you can work with and that will take your input as well as reply to your answers to their questions, I gave up on one that had this thing about cursing and said it was necessary to let go of things. If that is the answer I should return to the Marines and go through PI again.

Listen to what the doctor tells you, have them listen to what you have to say, take the medications if they are prescribed for your situation and if it helps the by all means Ride Safe and Ride Lots, I do.

Bill
Thank you, I will.
Erich
Old 11-27-12, 05:27 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mileslong
A great thread.... when I learned about mindfulness and how being mindful helps me spot how my thought patterns are leading me towards rumination and the angry moods that are the manifestation of my depression, my life changed forever.

Depression is an illness of the brain and the mind.. read Jon Kabat-Zihn's "The Mindful Way Through Depression", it may help you understand the relationship between your thoughts and how you feel.

If that doesn't work, buy something new for your bike, that always makes me feel better!
Thank you
Old 11-27-12, 05:35 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mileslong

Good advice.

Buying and installing new bar tape always makes me feel happy.
Old 11-27-12, 06:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Good advice.

Buying and installing new bar tape always makes me feel happy.
So right, installed the new Kool Stop brake pads yesterday for my CAAD 10, made me ready for the afternoon's ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.