Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ordering aluminum track frame this weekend. Looking for some advice re: brands.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ordering aluminum track frame this weekend. Looking for some advice re: brands.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 01:49 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Pake welds look a lot better than that.
They absolutely do. Those Cinelli welds are gross, especially on a $800+ frame from a top name brand with so much hype surrounding it.

I understand what you're saying but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't buy a frame that looked like it was welded by Stevie Wonder after a three-day coke binge.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 01-25-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 01:53 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alu wise I was thinking on pulling the trigger on the SuperPista for when we get our Pan-Am velodrome. I :hearty heart heart: celeste
Old 01-25-13, 01:53 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Scrod, how's it man? Been forever.....
Welcome back, man!
Old 01-25-13, 02:20 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I understand what you're saying but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't buy a frame that looked like it was welded by Stevie Wonder after a three-day coke binge.
This indicates you have no understanding what I'm saying.
Old 01-25-13, 02:23 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

You're saying that the structural quality of welds can't be judged by how they look and you're far above judging things by outward appearance. You also never look at your bikes and quill stems are stupid. Yes, I get it.

However - if some really tasty, highly-nutritional food was presented to me in a way that made it resemble dog **** in a rusty tin bucket, I may be a little turned off from digging in.

If I'm paying top dollar for a frame I want the welds to be both well done and good looking, which I suppose you see something wrong with. So be it.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 01-25-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 02:30 PM
bones_mcbones
Banned.

Bikes: Fiori Fixie powder blue w/ granny bars

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 28 Posts
You're saying that the structural quality of welds can't be judged by appearance. I get it.
If he's saying that, he's incorrect. Any sort of anomaly is going to be a stress concentration, which means cracking, and crack propagation.

Visual Inspection...

After welding, visual inspection can detect a variety of surface flaws, including cracks, porosity and unfilled craters, regardless of subsequent inspection procedures. Dimensional variances, warpage and appearance flaws, as well as weld size characteristics, can be evaluated.
Before checking for surface flaws, welds must be cleaned of slag. Shotblasting should not be done before examination, because the peening action may seal fine cracks and make them invisible. The AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code, for example, does not allow peening "on the root or surface layer of the weld or the base metal at the edges of the weld."
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...ld-detail.aspx
Old 01-25-13, 02:56 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the $$$ I want purdy too, hand welded by an 85 year old master welder who helped invent the technology.
Old 01-25-13, 02:59 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Looks like you won't be buying a Bianchi then!
Old 01-25-13, 03:13 PM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
You're saying that the structural quality of welds can't be judged by how they look and you're far above judging things by outward appearance. You also never look at your bikes and quill stems are stupid. Yes, I get it.

However - if some really tasty, highly-nutritional food was presented to me in a way that made it resemble dog **** in a rusty tin bucket, I may be a little turned off from digging in.

If I'm paying top dollar for a frame I want the welds to be both well done and good looking, which I suppose you see something wrong with. So be it.
No need to get testy.
What im saying is that there doesn't appear to be a perceptible difference in quality of the pake and thunderdome welds. Obviously a horribly sloppy bird poop weld with gaps, holes, and poorly spaced beads and other flaws is suspect. Everything up for discussin here is far and away above that. I dunno, maybe you are just more interested in sellng certain frames.

Look, Im not shilling for pake or anything. I just think its much better priced for what is a very similar frameset.

Last edited by mihlbach; 01-25-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 03:19 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I dunno, maybe you are just more interested in sellng certain frames.
How am I talking about selling anything here? Am I really not allowed to simply like something better and have an opinion because I own a bike shop?

Aside from that, I've said twice in this thread that the French 75 is a nice frame.

I just think...
Exactly.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 01-25-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 03:23 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure all bets are off on cold welded ALU frames, steel ones however are an entirely different story. Also Scrod, yes, the robo built Bianchi frames..... *slight weepyness*
Old 01-26-13, 04:20 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well crap. I've been thinking about going to the extremes of getting a job to finance a 721 with a 105TR fork. Is this a workable combo for a start on a sorta light "grocery getter", or do I need to look for full time (for a little time) employment to increase my frame/fork budget???

Gross welds don't bother me until they fail. After all, I am a happy Trek Hybrid rider.
Old 01-26-13, 04:46 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I've been riding my 721 for commutes, errands, and recreation for over a year now with no problems. It's a fine frame. Just make sure you have a good mess bag or backpack, because there aren't many options for mounting a rack on it.
Old 01-26-13, 04:50 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They absolutely do. Those Cinelli welds are gross, especially on a $800+ frame from a top name brand with so much hype surrounding it.
That's what I'm saying. I want a Vigorelli for the Columbus frame, but then I look at the price and welds, then I look at a Bareknuckle or Kagero. I feel like if you're going to pay over $600-700 for the frame, the welds should look like that.

I dunno, maybe you are just more interested in sellng certain frames.
I seen Scrod point out drawbacks on lots of frames and components he sells, for what it's worth. It doesn't take away from the benefits, it's just reality.
Old 01-26-13, 04:52 PM
seau grateau

+ Scrod also sells the French 75
Old 01-26-13, 04:53 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Well crap. I've been thinking about going to the extremes of getting a job to finance a 721 with a 105TR fork. Is this a workable combo for a start on a sorta light "grocery getter", or do I need to look for full time (for a little time) employment to increase my frame/fork budget???

Gross welds don't bother me until they fail. After all, I am a happy Trek Hybrid rider.
721 with a carbon fork is overkill for just a "grocery getter". You'd be getting those groceries in style. You talking like 5 mile rides and nothing more or what?
Old 01-26-13, 06:34 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
That's what I'm saying. I want a Vigorelli for the Columbus frame, but then I look at the price and welds, then I look at a Bareknuckle or Kagero. I feel like if you're going to pay over $600-700 for the frame, the welds should look like that.

I seen Scrod point out drawbacks on lots of frames and components he sells, for what it's worth. It doesn't take away from the benefits, it's just reality.
i have a vigorelli and the welds are much better than that posted picture.

it was posted in the great deals thread, 5 hundred something for 2012 frames. just not sure about the website.
Old 01-26-13, 09:00 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I think people tend to overthink these things. Decide what type of bike you want, check out the contenders in your price range, pick the one that fits you the best, and off you go.

Remember when you were a kid and just hopped on your bike and went riding? You didn't fret over the spoke count or the gear ratio or whether the head angle was 73 or 72.5 degrees. You just went riding and had a good time.

I sometimes wonder how some people get dressed in the morning or figure out what to eat for lunch. The myriad decisions must make their heads spin.
Old 01-26-13, 09:05 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If your tie doesn't match your shirt, it doesn't end up costing you hundreds of dollars.
Old 01-26-13, 09:34 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
If your tie doesn't match your shirt, it doesn't end up costing you hundreds of dollars.
For some people it does.
Old 01-26-13, 09:37 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
For some people it does.
You don't have to burn your hundred dollar tie play boy.
Old 01-27-13, 01:37 AM
J_d_A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was thinking about building a thunderdome, but what about the Fuji track 2.0?
Old 01-27-13, 01:50 AM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're all over the place dude. Figure out what kind of bike you want, then get back to us. Aluminum track frame is not specific enough. And now you have moved out from frame to complete bikes even.
Old 01-27-13, 02:21 AM
J_d_A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
You're all over the place dude. Figure out what kind of bike you want, then get back to us. Aluminum track frame is not specific enough. And now you have moved out from frame to complete bikes even.
I am not the OP. Just seeing if anyone has ridden the 2.0 or if its just not worth it
Old 01-27-13, 03:57 AM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gotta agree with mihlbach on the welds point. If neither the thunderdome nor the french 75 have welds that look bad, you would need an x-ray and an engineer to tell you which one is structurally more sound. I've taken several years of welding classes (steel, but the principle still applies) and I've learned that you can make a very good looking weld that is structurally weak and you can make a less than perfect looking weld that is stronger than your pretty weld. I think Bones-mcbones' quote from lincoln electric backs that up. Visual inspection of a weld can disqualify it for cracks, pits, and warping but when neither bike shows obvious defects you can't really say which one is stronger by just looking at the surface.

As far as materials go, are the 75 and the thunderdome both made of the same grade of aluminum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.