Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sometimes, the old ways are the best

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sometimes, the old ways are the best

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:54 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I am very impressed BIGBOSSMAN. That looks like a ton of work, and the results are amazing.
I don't own much vintage gear but picked up a Pioneer SA-9500 a while ago. Great amp. But the on/off button is now kaput.
Bummer. Finding a replacement has proven impossible.
Old 07-25-13, 03:02 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I am very impressed BIGBOSSMAN. That looks like a ton of work, and the results are amazing.
I don't own much vintage gear but picked up a Pioneer SA-9500 a while ago. Great amp. But the on/off button is now kaput.
Bummer. Finding a replacement has proven impossible.
Have you seen this?

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc...p/t-67619.html
Old 07-25-13, 05:53 PM
Grand Bois

I recently added this system to the living room.

Onkyo A-5 amp
Onkyo TA-2500 cassette deck
TEAC 2300SX reel to reel
There's a Samsung Blu Ray player on top of the cassette deck. I got it for free because it refuses to play Blu-Ray discs. I use it as a CD player and I added a WI-FI adapter so we can listen to Pandora One.

My ELAC Miracord 770H that I bought in 1970. It has developed a rumble, so it's just for looks for now.

Technics SL J33 with an awesome ADC PSX-40 induced magnet cartridge. Audiophiles turn their noses up at these linear tracking tables, but it sounds great to me!

The speakers are Boston acoustics A70s and modern BA 10" subwoofer.

The Sansui 5000 build date 01/68 is as good as new after recapping, some pots and a couple of transistors. Fortunately, my genius tech friend works for the price of parts, beer money and the joy of working on vintage equipment.

The inputs are that old school horizontal Marantz cassette deck, a TEAC A-4070G on the sewing machine table to the right and Ipod.
Old 07-25-13, 06:19 PM
Grand Bois

This is my latest audio project. It's my daughter's mint condition 1998 Yukon. I'm working on it with her boyfriend who has done a bit of car audio installation. So far we have a Kenwood head unit with HD radio and 4 volt outputs, a couple of Old school (made in Arizona) Rockford Fosgate amps and four JL Audio 12" subs. It's essentially the same system that I have in my truck, but I only have room for a single 10" sub because it's a standard cab. My kind of music doesn't require that kind of base anyway.

Old 07-26-13, 12:17 AM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooh, I didn't expect to find an audio thread here.

Here is my current setup minus the LCD-2 (old pic). I've since replaced the headphones with vintage Pioneer HPM-100 speakers.

320/FLAC audio → Musical Fidelity V-Link → Audio-GD DAC19 DSP1 → Marantz 2275 → Pioneer HPM-100
Old 07-26-13, 05:01 AM
Grand Bois

I'm a big fan of vintage Marantz receivers. I have three.

Old 07-27-13, 08:12 PM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, I'm a fan as well. I have a few vintage receivers I don't use anymore because the 2275 displaced them

Which model is that or models do you have?
Old 07-28-13, 06:53 AM
Grand Bois

That's a 2285. They're fairly rare because they were only made for a year before they replaced it with the 2285B because it was cheaper to build. I also have a 2230 in the garage and 2215B "baby Marantz" in a nightstand. Their lower powered receivers have surprisingly good sound with the right speakers.
Old 07-28-13, 07:28 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I also have a 2230 in the garage and 2215B "baby Marantz" in a nightstand. Their lower powered receivers have surprisingly good sound with the right speakers.
I'm putting together a system with a 2215 and Dynaco A25 speakers. Haven't hooked it up yet, but on paper it looks good.
Old 07-28-13, 07:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Great thread. I own old bikes but no vintage audio gear, . I've digitized my entire music collection and have no wish to deal with either vinyl or CDs for that matter (other than to rip the music from the CD). My sig line has a pic of my desktop system. I recently put up a really simple system in my work room with a pair of powered monitors (audioengine A-5 plus speakers), an ipod, and a radio used as a tuner (the monitors have two rca inputs). The audioengine A-5s sound pretty good and they're relatively inexpensive. Plus they have a usb power charge port for an ipod. Here is a pic of one my recent bike builds and the speakers (although I need to modify this set up so the tuner is better placed):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1713.jpg (98.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1712.jpg (104.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-28-13, 11:35 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I recently added this system to the living room.

Onkyo A-5 amp
Onkyo TA-2500 cassette deck
TEAC 2300SX reel to reel
There's a Samsung Blu Ray player on top of the cassette deck. I got it for free because it refuses to play Blu-Ray discs. I use it as a CD player and I added a WI-FI adapter so we can listen to Pandora One.

Technics SL J33 with an awesome ADC PSX-40 induced magnet cartridge. Audiophiles turn their noses up at these linear tracking tables, but it sounds great to me!

The inputs are that old school horizontal Marantz cassette deck, a TEAC A-4070G on the sewing machine table to the right and Ipod.
Grand Bois- your house must sound AMAZING!

I'm putting together my stereo and it's in a corner of the basement, it's relatively uncomfortable down there- It's not really for listening pleasure, it's for learning songs... it looks like your house is surrounded my music. I wish I could have something like that set up in my living room, but my wife doesn't like that idea.

I love the way you have stuff into that built in. My grandparents had the built in stereo in a big drawer that pulled out. They built it into the house when they built it in 1955. I don't know what happened to it- I remember that it didn't work and they removed it sometime in the 80s and just turned it into a cabinet.

I have a Kenwood linear tracking turntable. I think it's awful. I make no comment about it's sound quality- I bought it because 'that's how discs are cut' according to the advertising. It's just far too difficult to queue up tracks using the buttons versus setting the needle down with your hand. So, for me, "turning my nose" at it is because it's a pain in the azz to use. Just yesterday my brother in law loaned me his cool huge ass wood Technics turn table. I have to clean it up and find a place to put it.

This one-

One of the "antique" pieces my parents are trying to figure out what to do with is my great grandmother's pedal sewing machine table. Now that you're mentioning it- that might be a nice turntable stand, and family heirloom.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-28-13, 01:49 PM
Grand Bois

Those tables my turntables are on were my grandmother's.

You don't cue songs with that Technics table. It's programmable. It scans the record first to find the breaks between songs and then you use the buttons on the front to tell it which song(s) you want it to play. It actually works! I'm looking for an SL-10 high end model that clamps the record when you close the lid so it can be stood on end and played vertically. I've read that only Technics perfected linear tracking. I don't know, I've only tried that one. CDs came out when they finally got it right and nobody wanted to bother with vinyl anymore. That's why mine is in new condition. I packed it away when I got my first CD player. Now I'm back to vinyl. I just finished cleaning and re-sleeving 156 records from the 60s, 70s and 80s that my wife and I had in storage.

I'm also looking for an affordable Thorens to restore.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 07-28-13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 12:53 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a set of Technics SL-1200 MkIIs with cases, a mixer, and a few crates of vinyl for a pretty good deal.

Old 07-29-13, 04:12 PM
PolishGuy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow.....interesting thread. Haven't read through all the posts yet but just enough to add my $0.02 worth. Hard for me to believe that some of you folks are discovering the "been there, done that" phase of my audio life. I remember the wonder of the first Phase Linear 700's when they were new.....the thunder of Crown DC300s and BGW's [remember the movie Earthquake?]....the magic of a Revox A77 doing it's thing.....the beauty of a Thorens TD125 turntable with SME tone-arm and Shure V15 cartridge....until I was captivated by the warm glow of tubes. That was it. I got so hooked on tubed audio equipment that I went through a progression of Dynaco PAS3s, stereo 70's, MK IIIs, found out about Audio Research and bought a used D51 from Jonas Miller Sound in Beverly Hills [this was before Ken Kreisel and he got M&K officially going] until I wound up with the single ended triode struff in the late 90's to early 2000's. Built up most of my equipment from schematics from Sound Practices and Glass Audio magazines and telephone conversations with J. C. Morrison and a few of their authors [this was before e-mail etc]. Through it all I was always into vinyl. Reel to reel tape was great but vinyl just had the "magic" for me. Today all my gear is boxed up and in storage. Mostly I listen to live acoustic music when possible. Have my remaining turntable, a Technics belt drive whose model number I don't remember, wired to a 10 year old book shelf system, I think it's an RCA brand, that I listen to occasionally. It's good to see the interest in older audio gear. Been thinking of getting a KLH compact system and using it in my den/home office. Guess I'll have to check E-bay or Craigslist. Thx, PG.
Old 07-29-13, 06:32 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
My latest find is a Janice Joplin L.P. Pearl, cost me one thin dime at salvation Army. I already had it
but for a dime?
I love to put an album on the turntable or a tape I made in 1968 on my Tandberg reel to reel and go back 40
years.
Old 07-30-13, 05:42 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
... until I was captivated by the warm glow of tubes.
I've always been more attracted to SS stuff. If I had found a SS guitar amp that broke up nicely, I probably wouldn't have the guitar rigs I have now. Don't get me wrong- if I stumbled across a nice McIntosh system, I'd certainly give it a go.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-15-13, 02:29 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bost...item2a3023947e

Anyone in socal need a pr. of speakers? I have a set of these and they're pretty excellent imo. Folks on audio karma tend to agree. If the description is accurate they don't even appear to need foam.
Old 08-15-13, 02:46 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
My friends wife wanted put out an old stereo for electronics pick-up day...Pioneer TX 9500 II, SA-9500 and two large speakers. I told her she better check Ebay first.
Old 08-15-13, 04:50 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by PolishGuy
Wow.....interesting thread. Haven't read through all the posts yet but just enough to add my $0.02 worth. Hard for me to believe that some of you folks are discovering the "been there, done that" phase of my audio life. I remember the wonder of the first Phase Linear 700's when they were new.....the thunder of Crown DC300s and BGW's [remember the movie Earthquake?]....the magic of a Revox A77 doing it's thing.....the beauty of a Thorens TD125 turntable with SME tone-arm and Shure V15 cartridge....until I was captivated by the warm glow of tubes. That was it. I got so hooked on tubed audio equipment that I went through a progression of Dynaco PAS3s, stereo 70's, MK IIIs, found out about Audio Research and bought a used D51 from Jonas Miller Sound in Beverly Hills [this was before Ken Kreisel and he got M&K officially going] until I wound up with the single ended triode struff in the late 90's to early 2000's. Built up most of my equipment from schematics from Sound Practices and Glass Audio magazines and telephone conversations with J. C. Morrison and a few of their authors [this was before e-mail etc]. Through it all I was always into vinyl. Reel to reel tape was great but vinyl just had the "magic" for me. Today all my gear is boxed up and in storage. Mostly I listen to live acoustic music when possible. Have my remaining turntable, a Technics belt drive whose model number I don't remember, wired to a 10 year old book shelf system, I think it's an RCA brand, that I listen to occasionally. It's good to see the interest in older audio gear. Been thinking of getting a KLH compact system and using it in my den/home office. Guess I'll have to check E-bay or Craigslist. Thx, PG.
"My stuff is better than your stuff."

I understand, I'm a recovering ex-southern Californian myself.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-15-13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 07:04 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bost...item2a3023947e

Anyone in socal need a pr. of speakers? I have a set of these and they're pretty excellent imo. Folks on audio karma tend to agree. If the description is accurate they don't even appear to need foam.
Those speakers were just OK, not bad, but not good either, but for $100 and if the foam is good what the heck, however foams are only good for about 20 years give or take 5 years depending on atmospheric conditions of where they were, so if the foams were never replaced than bet you're sweet booty they will need to be replaced. They do sound better though if you put them on speaker stands and not on the floor, and in smaller rooms because they will get lost in larger rooms. They're not rock or metal speakers, their most comfortable with Jazz, Classical, soft rock type of stuff. I would buy them if the foams were replaced within the last 5 years and if I was going to put them in a small room like a bedroom, a small office etc.

I forgot, the cabinets were not well braced thus they had a tendency to vibrate with heavier bass sounds, this is why they didn't do well with rock and the such. The designers and owner originally came from KLH and Advent, and if you ever seen and heard those they come close to same type of sound you would hear from the B.A.'s.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 08-15-13 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 08:15 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My mother finally(!) sold my dad's old Klipschorn-type standing floor speaker from the early '60s. 18" ElectroVoice speaker with 25 pound(!) magnet, and the horn-type midrange and tweeters with separate controllers on the side... I think it went for $50.

Dad had designed the cabinet and had it and the stereo cabinet custom-built by a cabinetmaker. Inside the component cabinet was his HH Scott tube-type tuner and amplifier pair. Under the lid was the Teac 7" reel-to-reel tape deck (with echo effect) and the AR XA 33/45 rpm only belt drive turntable (you had lift he heave billet platter to manually switch the drive belt on the dual-size drive pulley to change turntable speed.) Under the tuner/amp was storage for up to 100 7" tape reel boxes! Mom still has the stereo cabinet, but I have the matching 3-speaker auxiliary speaker/LP storage cabinet.

These components, but built-in:

Old 08-15-13, 09:07 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Those speakers were just OK, not bad, but not good either, but for $100 and if the foam is good what the heck, however foams are only good for about 20 years give or take 5 years depending on atmospheric conditions of where they were, so if the foams were never replaced than bet you're sweet booty they will need to be replaced. They do sound better though if you put them on speaker stands and not on the floor, and in smaller rooms because they will get lost in larger rooms. They're not rock or metal speakers, their most comfortable with Jazz, Classical, soft rock type of stuff. I would buy them if the foams were replaced within the last 5 years and if I was going to put them in a small room like a bedroom, a small office etc.

I forgot, the cabinets were not well braced thus they had a tendency to vibrate with heavier bass sounds, this is why they didn't do well with rock and the such. The designers and owner originally came from KLH and Advent, and if you ever seen and heard those they come close to same type of sound you would hear from the B.A.'s.
The cabinets are also a bit thin. Use them with a powered subwoofer with a built in crossover so they don't have to try to produce deep base. Once you get them dialed in, they're great. That's what I did with my BAs. The sub is also a BA. "Dark Side of the Moon" on vinyl sounds awesome on that system!

Refoaming is no big deal at all. I've done a number of them and I enjoy it. It doesn't require much skill. You just have to work very carefully, especially if you have to remove the dustcaps on woofers to shim the voice coils. People don't realize that, so buying speakers that need refoaming is a good way to get them cheap.
Old 08-16-13, 08:23 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata

I'm curious about your point of comparison. You seem to be saying they compare with large Advents; I think most people would say those are nice speakers. OK, not top end audiophile stuff but very good for their price point. In fact, in the reading I've done about the A150's on Audio Karma, several people said they preferred these to their Advents.

In the end I only care about how they sound to me, and they blow away my old bookshelf speakers. I have them paired with a Technics SA600 (70wpc iirc) and enjoy listening to everything from old rock (I'm not a metal guy) to classical. I will concede that they are perhaps best with jazz. Anyway I still think they're a deal for $100 even if they need a re-foam, which yes, is easy to do.
Old 08-16-13, 04:17 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I'm curious about your point of comparison. You seem to be saying they compare with large Advents; I think most people would say those are nice speakers. OK, not top end audiophile stuff but very good for their price point. In fact, in the reading I've done about the A150's on Audio Karma, several people said they preferred these to their Advents.

In the end I only care about how they sound to me, and they blow away my old bookshelf speakers. I have them paired with a Technics SA600 (70wpc iirc) and enjoy listening to everything from old rock (I'm not a metal guy) to classical. I will concede that they are perhaps best with jazz. Anyway I still think they're a deal for $100 even if they need a re-foam, which yes, is easy to do.
No, I didn't say larger advents, but the medium advents. And yes the Advents were decent speakers but they too were no room filling and lacked in some areas. The larger advents were better but they too were never known to be top flight stuff found in average consumer stores not boutique stores...big difference.

Keep in mine when someone says they prefer the sound of one speaker over another, including me, that everyone hears things a bit different, while you may love the sound of speaker A but not speaker B, I may be vice a versa! So take anything that someone says about a particular sound of a speaker with a grain of salt, and that goes for what I said! I remember those speakers from years ago I didn't really think they were great, they were good, and I did say that. But I also remember Schwinn Varsity, Continental, Suburban, etc and I remember people having huge problems with them, I thought they sucked and I still think they do and wouldn't pay the gas to go get one, so did others that owned them, but I get into problems a lot from people who say otherwise...mostly from people who never lived back then when they were new and were riding them.

So bicycles, like speakers, is a huge part personal preferences as is a lot of things we use in life even including philosophies of religion, politics, etc.
Old 08-21-13, 08:42 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Finally something to share here. I just got my old Grace F9E stylus back from Soundsmith, all nicely rebuilt! 10 week backlog.

This has always been my favorite cartridge (that I could afford) but I had to quit using it about 20 years ago when replacement styli were no longer available. I recently learned about soundsmith's rebuilding services and am thrilled to have it back on the turntable.

I bought the turntable and tone arm used in 1979: I guess I hold on to things for a while.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.