Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Quill Stem on Electra Loft 7D

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-15-22, 01:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts

My wife has an Electra Loft 7D Loft 7D Step-Thru | Electra Bikes (trekbikes.com). The Trek product specifications list a steel 25.4 mm quill stem, although I have also seen some bike shops advertise it as having a forged alloy quill stem. (Yes, I understand that technically steel is an alloy of iron and other metals.)

I would like to replace it with a taller Nitto MT-10 quill stem (Nitto MT-10 Long Quill Stem, (25.4) 35 Deg X 100 Silver - Modern Bike), and have two questions: (1) Will it fit? (2) How to remove the handlebar from the old quill stem and install it into the new quill stem without removing shifter, brake levers, and grips? The grips are on super tight.
Old 05-15-22, 02:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
You might consider getting a threadless stem adapter along with an appropriate stem. Then you won't have issues with shifters, brake levers, and grips for stem changes in the future.

https://www.universalcycles.com/sear...s+stem+adapter

The link is only to show you what they are, not necessarily that they are the best value.

But as to your question, if the clamp size for the handle bar is correct, then you are probably good with your choice in your OP. Be careful not to scratch up your bar as you remove it from the stem and if you are installing them in a new quill stem.

The threadless stems with removable face plate just make so much more sense to me. Maybe not vintage in looks. But I'm not going for that.
Old 05-15-22, 03:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You might consider getting a threadless stem adapter along with an appropriate stem. Then you won't have issues with shifters, brake levers, and grips for stem changes in the future.

https://www.universalcycles.com/sear...s+stem+adapter

The link is only to show you what they are, not necessarily that they are the best value.
I think my wife wants the WWII vintage look and the Dutch style upright riding position. So no threadless stem adapter. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Originally Posted by Iride01
But as to your question, if the clamp size for the handle bar is correct, then you are probably good with your choice in your OP. Be careful not to scratch up your bar as you remove it from the stem and if you are installing them in a new quill stem.

The threadless stems with removable face plate just make so much more sense to me. Maybe not vintage in looks. But I'm not going for that.
The handlebar clamp size is correct, i.e., 1" or 25.4 mm. So I guess without a removable faceplate, I must strip the bar of everything else before I can remove it and reinstall it in another stem.
Old 05-15-22, 06:58 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I think my wife wants the WWII vintage look and the Dutch style upright riding position. So no threadless stem adapter. Thank you for the suggestion though.

The handlebar clamp size is correct, i.e., 1" or 25.4 mm. So I guess without a removable faceplate, I must strip the bar of everything else before I can remove it and reinstall it in another stem.
Yes, this will work. Just remove the grip and controls on one side. I recommend the left.
Likes For oldbobcat: