Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Melting wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 09:33 PM
67Carlton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
I echo the preference for avoiding teflon due to environmental concerns. My local Goodwill yielded a small crockpot with a lid for next to nothing. It also serves as dust-free storage for my beeswax and canning wax mix when not in use.

Best decision ever, but I find that re-waxing is required after 150-200 miles max.
There is an effort in the ski world to move away from fluoro waxes as well. I started waxing with MSW, but we are already having issues locally with water contamination from PFOA/PFAS and while my chain wax probably pales in comparison to things like firefighting foam from the station further up the creek drainage, I fish nearly as much as I ride and it has prompted me to make a switch next time. I think the Silca wax looks like a winner on this front and for those that care about watts it seems to perform well on the Zero Friction Cycling tests (https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...ng-Round-1.pdf). For me the watts don't matter hugely for my riding except that efficiency = reduced wear. Though others have homebrew mixtures that work well, for me the hit to my pocketbook upfront from 'expensive' wax has easily paid for itself several times over in reduced wear on drivetrain parts. I get around 350 miles/wax in dry conditions, but doing multiple (3-4) chains each time and using quick links makes the process relatively pain free. Haven't needed a new chain or cassette in ages.
Likes For 67Carlton:
Old 05-14-22, 02:55 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 340 Posts
I've just started waxing chains.
I looked around for a cheap crock pot on Gumtree, then I remembered I had a wax warmer I bought for accordion waxing:

https://www.amazon.com/Guckmall-Kit%...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's only about 0.5l but it's just big enough and the big advantage is you just set it for 95C and leave it for 30 mins.
Old 05-14-22, 05:25 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
And of course there is the yet unmentioned aesthetic benefit. All the time spent finding, fixing, polishing, maintaining C&V cycles- I want mine to be nice and clean!

For the heck of it, this is my routine with a brand new chain (or one that was previously greased..)-
I put the chain into a large, large-mouth jar (I've got a plastic one that originally had some kind of protein powder in it).
Fill with enough mineral spirits to cover the chain.
Put on the lid and swish it around for a good 3 minutes or so.
Let it sit for a while. Sometimes overnight, and if/when I think of it I swish it around some more.
I'm careful not to swish it around for a while before I fish the chain out (especially if I'm stripping an old/dirty chain- I want the grit, etc to stay settled on the bottom).
Wipe the chain down, hang it on something.
Pour the mineral spirits into a disposal container (to be later taken to the local dump/transfer station/haz waste disposal).
Wipe out the jar well with paper towels.
Chain back in, cover with mineral spirits again.
Repeat the swishing, sitting.
Pull the chain, wipe, hang.
This time I pour the mineral spirits into another jar and save it to use next time for the first bath.
Wipe out the jar, put the chain back in and repeat the above steps using denatured alcohol- I suspect this may be overkill, but I do it anyway.
After the second denatured alcohol bath wipe the chain and hang it to dry out well.
Melt my wax mix in the mini-crock pot. Usually I just put the chain in on top of the wax when I turn the pot on.
I probably leave the chain in for at least an hour after the wax has melted, giving it an occasional stir.
Fish the chain out, wipe it down with paper towels and hang it to cool down.
Run the chain back and forth around a secured piece of metal pipe to loosen it up.
Make sure the chain is the right length, put it on the bike and ride! (or, put it in a baggie/box and have it at the ready for when I need a clean chain)

Seems like a lot of steps/work, but it really isn't too bad. I usually do a couple chains at a time. I usually buy a couple chains at a time, too, when I see them on sale, or if I'm ordering some bike thing and need to add another something to the order to get to the 'free shipping' amount or whatever.

gloves & glasses worn when dealing with chemicals!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 05-14-22, 07:08 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Google "double boiler". If you go the sauce pan route, make sure you heat it in a pot of water otherwise it could catch fire.
Well, I have one here but I've found repurposing items from the kitchen without my wife's permission "causes health issues". I could get one cheaply enough and I do have a "hot plate" that I could use instead of the range, or even the tabletop gas grill. I guess I just need to break away from the crock pot idea.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I added powdered PTFE to my wax after reading about its lubrication properties. In terms of longevity, I’m getting around 400 miles for each application.
Hmm, now to look up "powdered PTFE" to locate a source. Maybe.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
And of course there is the yet unmentioned aesthetic benefit. All the time spent finding, fixing, polishing, maintaining C&V cycles- I want mine to be nice and clean!

For the heck of it, this is my routine with a brand new chain (or one that was previously greased..)- I put the chain into a large, large-mouth jar (I've got a plastic one that originally had some kind of protein powder in it). Fill with enough mineral spirits to cover the chain. Put on the lid and swish it around for a good 3 minutes or so.
Let it sit for a while. Sometimes overnight, and if/when I think of it I swish it around some more. I'm careful not to swish it around for a while before I fish the chain out (especially if I'm stripping an old/dirty chain- I want the grit, etc to stay settled on the bottom). Wipe the chain down, hang it on something.
Pour the mineral spirits into a disposal container (to be later taken to the local dump/transfer station/haz waste disposal). Wipe out the jar well with paper towels. Chain back in, cover with mineral spirits again. Repeat the swishing, sitting. Pull the chain, wipe, hang. This time I pour the mineral spirits into another jar and save it to use next time for the first bath. Wipe out the jar, put the chain back in and repeat the above steps using denatured alcohol- I suspect this may be overkill, but I do it anyway. After the second denatured alcohol bath wipe the chain and hang it to dry out well. Melt my wax mix in the mini-crock pot. Usually I just put the chain in on top of the wax when I turn the pot on. I probably leave the chain in for at least an hour after the wax has melted, giving it an occasional stir. Fish the chain out, wipe it down with paper towels and hang it to cool down. Run the chain back and forth around a secured piece of metal pipe to loosen it up. Make sure the chain is the right length, put it on the bike and ride! (or, put it in a baggie/box and have it at the ready for when I need a clean chain) Seems like a lot of steps/work, but it really isn't too bad. I usually do a couple chains at a time. I usually buy a couple chains at a time, too, when I see them on sale, or if I'm ordering some bike thing and need to add another something to the order to get to the 'free shipping' amount or whatever. gloves & glasses worn when dealing with chemicals!
Lots of ideas there. I already have mineral spirits. A jar should be easy to locate, plus fabricating a "grit guard" to isolate the dirt at the bottom of the jar like I use on car-washing buckets. I see you do this with a new chain to get "factory" oil/grewase off... do you do all this cleaning when you re-wax"

Last edited by tiger1964; 05-14-22 at 07:08 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-14-22, 07:14 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
You don't have to make this a big deal. Dedicated mini crockpot you can keep outside or in the garage. Canning wax. You don't need to strip with anything more toxic or inconvenient than a paper towel. You don't need powdered teflon. You don't need any magic ingredients. Spend that money on some quick-links and the Park chain pliers.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-14-22, 07:17 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I see you do this with a new chain to get "factory" oil/grewase off... do you do all this cleaning when you re-wax"
Nope, just new chains. Or maybe if a chain somehow gets really really dirty or contaminated. Otherwise I just put a chain that needs fresh wax into the crock pot after a quick wipe with a paper towel.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 05-14-22, 12:02 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
I do exactly what ehcoplex does. And no, you don't need to do any of this messy stuff when rewaxing...just drop the chain in, warm up the pot, swish around, run chain over a pipe to loosen the links, easy peasy.
Likes For davester:
Old 05-14-22, 03:57 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
A chain properly lubricated with oil won’t be dirty.
Old 05-14-22, 04:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by scarlson
I have used a tuna fish can on an old laboratory hotplate.
Several years ago we had a major fire where I work. The cause was an old laboratory hotplate. Be careful, and always unplug it when you are done.
Old 05-16-22, 03:20 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Several years ago we had a major fire where I work. The cause was an old laboratory hotplate. Be careful, and always unplug it when you are done.
Of course!
I use it to scald milk for yogurt, too, because it has a temp sensor and can stir magnetically. My first one died by shorting and arcing, and this is the same Corning brand and model, so I'm suitably cautious. I would never leave it unattended or plugged in when not in use.

I've got a relative who is fire chief in a small Vermont town. He is more concerned about my hotplate than my oxy/pro brazing setup, mostly because the brazing torch can't really be left unattended while on.
Old 05-16-22, 06:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Make the fire chief happy. Get a nice safe little crock pot.
Old 05-16-22, 11:45 PM
bicyclemayhem

Bikes: too many lol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I really like the concept of melted wax on a chain -- wow, the chain stays clean looking!

Really no idea on best frequency on rewaxing and, if the chain is not full of debris from using oil/grease, do I really need to aggressively clean the chain before any reapplication?

My real problem is the melting part. The brand is Speed Wax, and they recommend using a mini electric crock pot, so I bought one from Amazon called Elite Gourmet, 1.5qt. However, two hours on HIGH and the wax really was only marginally melted. Anyone else "doing the wax thing" and if so, using what to melt the wax? I'm almost ready to get a saucepan and heat on my wife's gas range ( ).
I use an electric wok for wax, melts it in minutes instead of hours and you can usually find one for a few bucks at a thrift store.
Old 05-17-22, 06:22 AM
smd4

Sounds like a dedicated sauce pan on the stove is the easiest/cheapest/most convenient. Are people really worried about fires?
Old 05-17-22, 07:01 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Sounds like a dedicated sauce pan on the stove is the easiest/cheapest/most convenient. Are people really worried about fires?
There is a risk, especially with a gas range. Over a certain temperature, the wax becomes vapor, and combustible.
Old 05-17-22, 07:30 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by BFisher
There is a risk, especially with a gas range. Over a certain temperature, the wax becomes vapor, and combustible.
From what I've read, the risk isn't any greater than working with cooking oil.
Old 05-17-22, 09:13 AM
bicyclemayhem

Bikes: too many lol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The flash point is roughly the same for cooking oils and common waxes, so I'd agree it's not a greater risk. I like the electric wok bc it was cheap, melts it just as quick as a stove top, and it can just live at the "correct" temp setting that will melt the wax but not ignite it. I can also plug it in anywhere instead of its function being tied to the range, so it lives in the shop instead of the kitchen.
Likes For bicyclemayhem:
Old 05-17-22, 09:14 AM
smd4

Makes sense.
Old 05-17-22, 10:36 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by bicyclemayhem
I use an electric wok for wax, melts it in minutes instead of hours and you can usually find one for a few bucks at a thrift store.
Is there Thrift Store Prime where I can order online and get it in two days? I think I went into a thrift store once, a decade ago. OTOH, for something like this, makes sense.

Looking at a bunch of websites, lower limit for a double boiler is $30 delivered. That's probably where I am headed. I can take our hot plate out to our porch, where it would be very well ventilated. Hmm, water boils at 212F and I need to get the wax to 200F, I wonder if I am looking at a very narrow temp window?

Old 05-17-22, 11:22 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
This is the crock pot I use. Only $17 and the perfect size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-17-22, 11:51 AM
BFisher

The flash point of plain paraffin wax is around 390°F.

The flash point of common vegetable oils is around 600°F.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 05-17-22, 12:35 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by davester
This is the crock pot I use. Only $17 and the perfect size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
99% sure that's the one I have, same brand anyway. Over 2 hours to hit 200F, so I want to replace it.

Tempted to just get a saucepan and skip the double boiler route.

Old 05-17-22, 05:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The real question is, is it French wax or English wax? Domestic wax? No, it is not wax it all - it is a clue!
Old 05-17-22, 07:05 PM
smd4

The flash point of plain paraffin wax is around 390°F.
If you do the job correctly, and heat to the recommended temperature, you won’t get it that hot.
Old 05-17-22, 07:11 PM
BFisher

If you do the job correctly, and heat to the recommended temperature, you won’t get it that hot.
Point being, the risk is much greater with wax than with common vegetable oils, despite what you've read.

Wax on.
Old 05-17-22, 07:14 PM
smd4

Point being, the risk is much greater with wax than with common vegetable oils, despite what you've read.

Wax on.
I think there are much scarier things to be fearful of than melting wax in your house.

Wax off.
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.