Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Ocelot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Ocelot

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 11:24 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Bianchi Ocelot

Evidently, this was an "entry level" bike with a surprisingly good frame.
This one was given to me in trade for a couple clean/tune jobs on a neighbor's other two bikes. It was far too big for anyone in their family, so it was an easy
one to give up for them.
I thought about fixing it up to sell, but I'm liking the idea of a kind of world tourer...and I have enough parts laying around to build that. Should be at least a nearly bombproof ride for beating around downtown and some of the local 'casual' rides, and a Winter bike.

It just occurred that the seatpost is in backwards.
Likes For velojym:
Old 12-24-20, 11:40 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
...It just occurred that the seatpost is in backwards.
Well, the clamp anyway. But I've seen more than one rider set theirs up that way, I guess to make the reach more comfortable for them.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-25-20, 12:35 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Yeah, I've seen 'em that way too. Just kinda looks funny to me, but the P.O. was likely a bit shorter than I am anyway.
...and yeah. I don't care for this type of seatpost so much, but I don't have anything else in the right size right now, and I'm gonna try to do this one on the cheap.
Old 01-13-21, 08:56 PM
velojym

Now that my other three projects are basically complete, awaiting a good day for test riding and adjustments, I've started throwing parts at the Ossie. I'm gonna use some dark brown bar tape, and some long pull drop bar levers for the v-brakes. I also happened to have another seatpost (after this pic) that fit, but is a more modern clamp style. The LX crankset (not this one) I have has bent rings, so it'll be set aside in favor of a slightly heavier 'set, with an octalink BB. The latter is the only part I need to continue the build, it's in the mail.

He Chomky

Old 01-16-21, 11:55 AM
velojym

I'm starting to think this would have been a perfect bike for when I was at my heaviest. Still throwing parts at it, and I think I have everything I need to get it done (this weekend?).

Stout cro-moly frame, heavy duty wheels (my clyde wheelset from Velocity), and simple older mechanicals, 3x9 with microshift bar end shifters.
It's my post-apocalyptic touring bike! I think I'll call it Mad Max, or just Max.

Plenty of clearance for more tire, too. These are 26x2 and have plenty of room for the fenders, which I'll install after I have everything dialed in.
Also, after I've done a little breaking-in of the Fire Mountain and move that to more aggressive tread, I may try the Conti Double Fighters on this bike, they look like they'd be good on gravel.
Likes For velojym:
Old 01-24-21, 07:06 PM
velojym

This bike ain't meant to be fast, but it oughta be muy versatile.
Got it all hooked up and shifting, bar tape wrapped, and ready for a test ride, when I get the time. I do still have fenders to install, but that'll wait until I'm sure it's dialed in.
Max is lookin' pretty good, though, depending on your perspective.

Old 01-26-21, 08:21 PM
velojym

Maiden ride for Mad Max!
I did have to slide the saddle back just a bit, but overall a solid ride, and my average speed was even a little higher on my regular Covid route... compared to my Montague Paratrooper, which is also running 26x2" slicks.
The ride is quite smooth with those tires, compared to my narrower road rubber (Duh, right?), and while the handling is a little quicker than my Surly LHT, it ain't twitchy at all. I'll probably plan to take it on an s24o ride some time, just to try it with a load on.
Positions on the bar worked well, and it's a familiar bar... tens of thousands of miles on Jake... Drops, hoods, and tops were all comfy enough, though I might move the levers up just a bit.

The pic is technically horrible, with the flash (which I don't usually use anyway) and the reflective sidewalls... but I liked the effect anyway.