Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Allergies in the commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 03:52 PM
colorisnt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, I about died today just getting cross-campus, which is nothing compared to what I have done in the past 3 or so days. I went to pick up a tassel for graduation about a mile from where I live and I had to stop midway because my eyes had pretty well swollen and I couldn't breathe. I knew the area and locked my bike pretty much blinded and found a restroom. I took my inhaler and washed my face. It got a bit better, but it has been bad. Geez. I had to do the same half way back, too. I found out our tree pollen was a record high today and I am certainly allergic, but I didn't expect it to be that bad!

Those of you with allergies, how do you cope. I had on sunglasses and it didn't help at all! I am already on allergy medication and asthma medication, but this was especially bad and my eyes are still red and swollen, even after a benadryl and prednisone!
Old 05-04-10, 04:10 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find my diet and stress level also affect the intensity of any hayfever I experience. Lots of veg to boost immunity, limit refined carbs and dairy. Some fruit and veg can aggravate seasonal allergies (google it, I'm too lazy to look it up.) Since I've moved to the city I've found my allergies are worse than on the farm; something about being exposed to a constant low grade of allergens kept my allergies in check somewhat.

So far this year I haven't had any difficulty (it's currently SNOWING here at the moment, which helps keep the pollen count down but does nothing for my mood.)

I wash my face as soon as I get in and take an antihistamine on the bad days. I occasionally have a bit of honey on my toast as I've heard that eating local honey can also help because it exposes you to a low level of allergens or something, but I haven't seriously looked into it. It tastes good, at any rate.
Old 05-04-10, 04:19 PM
colorisnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wash my face/hands but have never experienced this bad of allergies down here (Southern IN). Back home (Northern IN), I usually have worse ones. I am now terrified about that, but less trees, so less mess I guess haha!

I haven't been eating normally though this finals week. Most of the food places are closed and the places that aren't aren't places I want to eat at. I cannot wait to have a kitchen again!
Old 05-04-10, 07:17 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get Claritin, it works. Benadryl is useless for seasonal allergies.
Old 05-04-10, 07:19 PM
sseaman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are only seasonal so it is about 2 weeks of roughing it
Old 05-04-10, 07:25 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Claritin (loratadine) doesn't work (it doesn't for me) try Allegra (fexofenadine). The only thing that really works for me is Chlor-Tripolon, but I have a hard time staying awake as it is.
Old 05-04-10, 07:45 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have severe pollen allergies.
This is the first year I have felt good in a very long time and that took a cortisone shot.
I am still supposed to stick with my treatment.
1) Zyrtec
2) Flonase
3) Sinus flushing
4) EmergenC
5) Albuterol
6) An anti inflammatory lung drug.
7) Optivare eye drops
8) An herbal eye drop

Even with all of these my eyes will go crazy and swell up.
I discovered that this was caused by my dogs. I can't be around them for more than 30 minutes without developing an allergic reaction. My guess is their fur contains a very concentrated dose of pollen.
Even better was taking off from Colorado for Vancouver in the middle of allergy season for a few weeks.
Old 05-04-10, 08:40 PM
colorisnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on absolutely everything known to man lol. I currently am on Flonase/Advair daily - prednisone as needed. If I still feel sick tomorrow I will get a cortisone shot.

I am also allergic to dogs. And, also, a friend had her dog in the dorm today. Because of my love of dogs, I pet her, but did wash my hands ASAP. Generally that helps. I know I wasn't the only one having issues. My student who I was tutoring also needed to go and rinse her eyes out when she arrived at our session.
Old 05-04-10, 08:47 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I gotta warn you about my experience with Claratin. It may cause E.D so if you are planning on a romantic encounter with your girlfriend or wife whatever the case may be, be aware that instead of rising to the occasion you may be hanging your head in disgust. I used it a couple of weeks ago and thats when I discovered that unwanted side effect.
Old 05-04-10, 08:55 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ OP: Whoops, sounds like your allergies are much worse than mine. Disregard drug suggestions, and apologies for my presumption.

Last edited by coffeecake; 05-04-10 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarity, as always
Old 05-04-10, 08:59 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was so strange that for about a week I had watery eyes scratchy throat and a bit of a cough. I though I was gettin a cold but I wasn't and so I took the 24 hour stuff and it really did help the allergies but as I stated the undesired side effect was MMMMM weird. I did look up the side effects and found several postings about the problem I had. I guess everyone is different so it may not affect everyone the same. Fortunately when we got some rain my symptoms disappeared and when the Claritin got out of my system the other problem went away too.
Old 05-04-10, 09:06 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Strangely, this is the first time in ages I haven't had seasonal allergies and I'm typically knocked over by them or the treatments. No clues why since this is the worst allergy season for so many people. I had only one day of itchy eyes, constantly dripping noise, and itchy throat and ears. I used anti-histamines when I came home stuffed up and snuffling. That was it. The only reason I can think of was about a few days before that allergy day of mine, I had eaten some cheap prosciutto and my tongue swelled up. I took some anti-histamines that night and then again the next day. And I haven't been bothered by allergies.

I guess my suggestion is eat cheap prosciutto? YMMV.
Old 05-04-10, 09:42 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sudafed, Robitussin, and caffeine sorta work for me. Zyrtec is like an off-switch for my brain, can't take it in the daytime.
Old 05-04-10, 09:53 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zyrtec is once a day and does the trick for me
Old 05-04-10, 10:26 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not even allergic, and I was sneezing quite a lot today. No problems with eyes or breathing though.
Old 05-05-10, 05:36 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
Sudafed, Robitussin, and caffeine sorta work for me. Zyrtec is like an off-switch for my brain, can't take it in the daytime.
Wow... I'd stop that if I were you.
Old 05-05-10, 08:51 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That reminds me.
Caffeine is a decent bronchodilator btw. My consumption of Irish tea goes through the roof during allergy season.
Old 05-05-10, 09:13 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take Claratin for allergy. The key for me is early prevention before it's too late. If I know the day the next day is windy, I'll take a pill the night before and the morning of that day. I also use nose spray such as Vicks or Neo-Synephrine. It keeps my nose clear and manage my breathing better. For me, nothing is worst than not able to breathe through my nostrils. It only amplifies the allergy.

As for side effect of Claratin.....Nada, no side effect (needless to mention why?). Sound like the the side effect for guys can be a good thing for pregnancy prevention
Old 05-05-10, 09:43 AM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In addition to all of the above OTC and prescription medicines I would add liberally using good old nasal saline. I have been having a much greater problem this spring and went to the Doctor and got a script for Flonase. I have also been taking a lot of vitamin C, which might be helping, but I haven't found enough credible evidence that it actually helps. The vitamin might just be placebo --
Old 05-05-10, 10:08 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
I take Claratin for allergy. The key for me is early prevention before it's too late. If I know the day the next day is windy, I'll take a pill the night before and the morning of that day. I also use nose spray such as Vicks or Neo-Synephrine. It keeps my nose clear and manage my breathing better. For me, nothing is worst than not able to breathe through my nostrils. It only amplifies the allergy.

As for side effect of Claratin.....Nada, no side effect (needless to mention why?). Sound like the the side effect for guys can be a good thing for pregnancy prevention
Yeah what can't get up can't get out.
Old 05-05-10, 10:09 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reactine (Cetirizine) for the allergies, Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) for the asthma. Allergies and physical activity are both asthma triggers for me...I used to load up on Salbutomol (the common blue puffer) every time I got on my bike, and have needed none since I got the steroids.

I used Claritin (Loratadine) for years, and it helped a little, but nowhere near as much as the Reactine. My current combination controls both extremely well, and aside from getting the occasional sneezing fit, I usually have no symptoms.

No side effects that I've noticed.

Last edited by neil; 05-05-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 10:21 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use Pataday eyedrops before I ride, and if pollens are supposed to be high count I wear my goggle-glasses instead of regular sunglasses. That seals things from getting into my eyes and causing really bad problems.
I was taking Nasonex and Astepro, but in the last 8 months I've suffered from more sinus infections and respiratory colds than in the previous 8 years, prior to any allergy medications. So I recently quit taking both of them and started up with a daily teaspoon of locally produced honey, and it's seemed to lessen my reactions. Honey contains the allergen particulates which cause the reactions, and the small doses in honey can act as a de-sensitizing method. A word of caution on this: If you have severe reactions to pollen, or allergic asthma reactions, start with a very small amount... Around 1/4 tsp. to determine if the particulates in the honey will cause a similar response to your usual allergen exposure. If you're OK with that amount, then you can up the amount by 1/4 tsp. at a time.
Old 05-05-10, 11:06 PM
colorisnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
I gotta warn you about my experience with Claratin. It may cause E.D so if you are planning on a romantic encounter with your girlfriend or wife whatever the case may be, be aware that instead of rising to the occasion you may be hanging your head in disgust. I used it a couple of weeks ago and thats when I discovered that unwanted side effect.

Stringbreaker, haha. That won't be an issue for me. I'm a woman, so no worries.
Old 05-05-10, 11:07 PM
colorisnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, double post.

I can try the honey thing if I can find local stuff back home (good luck with that haha). I have tried it before, but it caused me to have similar allergic issues. I can try it again, but IDK. I should have been born in a bubble.

Last edited by colorisnt; 05-05-10 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Double post.
Old 05-06-10, 04:07 AM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Wow... I'd stop that if I were you.
Sudafed by itself makes me cranky as all hell, irritable, short-tempered, etc. Throw a little caffeine (not a lot) into the mix and
these side effects disappear. (I am not asthmatic and have excellent cardiac health)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.