Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Powergrips?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Powergrips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 08:54 AM
MK313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powergrips?

Does anyone here use Powergrips? If so, do you find them worth it? I bought a pair a few years ago, but I needed to do some work on my pedals to make them compatible (at the time they were folding pedfals on a folding bike) & I never installed them. I currently ride without any kind of clips & have no interest in clipless pedals, but am thinking it might be worth it to put the Powergrips on my current ride.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-05-10, 09:53 AM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used powergrips in the past on my mountain bike with my workboots. They worked quite well, but
the strap material wore out after one season of rough offroading. There's a thread in the winter biking forum
where someone found a product at home depot that works well as replacement straps.
(i currently use platform pedals with workboots on my commuter and offroad)
Old 09-05-10, 09:58 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't myself, but I have a few friends who swear by them. Supposed to really help with hills, be better than toeclips, and nearly as good as clipless if not as good.

No personal experience, though, that's all second hand from the users I know.
Old 09-05-10, 10:01 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had the same problem as mikewille mine wore out after about six months, I think they last longer if your wearing more like sneakers or somthing sim. Maybe my hiking boots just wore out the material because of the tread on the outside edges of the sole?
Old 09-05-10, 10:05 AM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a link to the post, it's about homemade powergrips:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10253721
Old 09-05-10, 10:12 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find them to be perfect for commuting, and have been using them for about 15 years. I wear a strap out about every three years or so whist daily commuting.
Old 09-05-10, 10:24 AM
puppypilgrim

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Zefal toe cups and have been very pleased with them. Don't need a specific shoe and allows enough freedom of movement that you don't get repetitive stress injuries from being locked in.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...clips-10-35398
Old 09-05-10, 12:09 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I recently have been using them and are ok with them for my short ride to the 5ubway (5 mles). Before I just cliped in... but as I want to walk a bit more I have found them ok. I am also going to be trying the RELOD Version on some MKS touring pedals... b

Old 09-05-10, 12:14 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used them for commuting for quite a while. I found they lasted years, I was wearing regular sneakers. They are the ideal solution if you don't want to wear cycling specific shoes, blow toe clips out of the water. However I eventually went to clipless shoes even for my commute.

Powergrips keep your feet safe and securely attached to the pedal, which is why I liked them. They are not as good as clipless for pulling on the upstroke though, if you would like to use them for that. I found even when tight if I tried to pull up my foot came off the pedal slightly. Still safely secured but just annoying.
Old 09-05-10, 12:26 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they are excellent. I use them on my utility bike and another bike that I primarily use when I travel and camp. On each bike I want most of the performance of clipping in with the convenience of wearing any shoe. I wear my hiking shoes a lot while camping and can ride to a destination with the powergrips, get off the bike, and be ready for my hike. On my main commuter & go fast road bike I have Crank Brothers though.
Old 09-05-10, 01:18 PM
Aeneas
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on two different bikes, an Aurora with Grip King pedals and a commuterized 88 Specialized Hardrock with MKS touring pedals with Powergrips. Earlier in the summer I was primarily riding the Specialized and got really used to the having the powergrips so I could pull up and push down with each pedal stroke. When I switched over the the Aurora, I felt, and continue to feel, much less efficient with my pedaling motion. Whether that's really the case or not, I don't know, but I can say that it feels better a bit more natural to me to ride with them then without.

Now I have big feet, size 13-14, and so I had to pay premium to get the X-large size and was hesitant to do so. Now having ridden with them, I have no problem with money spent in their purchase.
Old 09-05-10, 01:27 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've used PowerGrips on my Bianchi Volpe for the last 4-5 years. Like some posters above, I was concerned about them wearing out. They started to fray a bit, but they are still quite usable.

I use mine with MKS touring pedals.. which seems to be a perfect match.

They have a lot of advantages over just platform pedals. The main one being more power. But another advantage is being able to wear regular shoes, particularly if I'm off shopping or going for a coffee.

I occasionally do have trouble getting my right foot into the strap. Don't know why this is. Maybe is I put soap or teflon on the strap.
Old 09-05-10, 02:28 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I love my Power Grips. I use them on my mountain bike, and have a set on order for my commuter bike. I like them MUCH better than the plastic toe clips on my hybrid.
Old 09-05-10, 03:04 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
After using them on two different bikes for over a year, I eventually found them to be more of a distraction then an asset. The side of the pedal with the strap always flips upside down when you remove your feet, requiring some fumbling with the pedal after ever stop. When I started commuting on city streets having to flip the pedals at every intersection just became more of a pain then it was worth.
Old 09-05-10, 04:11 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like them. I keep them a touch loose for easy entry and exit, seemed to remove most of the hassles I was experiencing.
I've about 1500 miles on them, no wearing issues yet. Oh yea, size 15 shoes too, so I went with the XL. It was more than enough for winter boots even.
Old 09-05-10, 06:04 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used them for a year or two as a transition from toe clips to SPD clipless. I prefer clipless.
Old 09-06-10, 01:58 AM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless is better, but they're better than nothing if street shoes are your only option. Many people use them in the winter with boots when the temperatures plummet as clipless winter boots are friggin pricey!
Old 09-07-10, 10:03 AM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my powergrips and used them on my commuter and mtn bike for 2-3 years. Someone gave me some clipless shoes, so I put the clipless pedals back on my commuter and I'm pretty happy there as well. But I keep the power-grips on my mtn bike and that's the bike I also use riding around with my kids. Flipping the pedal around is no big deal to me. In fact, I don't even need to look. (My clipless pedals are platform on one side so I have to flip those around, too. Just takes a little practice.) The main thing I love about my powergrips is that I can where my Keens which helps keep me somewhat cooler than having to wear socks and cycling shoes. Plus, I can always spray the feet down with my water bottle. I haven't tried Keen clipless sandles yet, though. Maybe next year.
Old 09-07-10, 10:44 AM
BestSportEver
scrumtrulescent

Bikes: S-Works Shiv, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Specialized AWOL, PX10

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using Powergrips for a while now because I didn't like taking extra shoes with me everywhere. I love them and although they do flip down, I have yet to have to look down to get my foot back into them.
Old 09-07-10, 04:50 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have them on both my bikes. Had them for years. My main rider has a strap that is fraying but still very much usable. If you have them then try them out for a while.
Old 09-07-10, 09:23 PM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll put them on this weekend & give em a try.