Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter jacket advice

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter jacket advice

Old 09-20-22, 12:16 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Winter jacket advice

I know there have been a lot of threads about jackets for winter. I used a ski jacket that had airways last winter in front and in the back but I always got sweaty wearing a sweater under neath. Can someone give me tips as I was looking at fleeces but hard to tell if they are breathable as top layer even if the company claims it is. At worst I will be reading under -22 F for an hour or so (10-15 miles daily one way). Also no wool stuff combos, thank you.
Likes For Frenzen:
Old 09-21-22, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'd think a winter down parka from REI or some such, with only a thinnish synthetic layer under. Down is amazingly breathable. One adjusts effort to prevent getting either sweaty or cold. Expensive though. You want a thin outer and inner of ripstop, and not sewn-through construction. Another approach is to wear a somewhat oversized cycling wind jacket (not waterproof or resistant!) for the top layer, a poly zip-tee next to the skin, like from Craft, then a layer of 100, 200, or 300 fleece depending on temperature and experience. There are also wind jackets made for hikers and climbers which have a hood. Again, nothing water repellent. You can tell if it's the right wind jacket by putting your mouth on it and seeing if you can suck air through the fabric, but only slowly. When I delivered papers on foot in Fairbanks, I made a point of not adding more or warmer clothes until I felt my skin cold under my clothes. That forced me to adapt and be OK with what I had available when it got down to -60. One does adapt to cold as well as to heat.
Old 09-22-22, 01:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
There will be argument, but IMO (and opinion of many others), you just can’t get “breathable” And “waterproof” in the same garment. Not in a garment worn for intense physical exercise anyway. If something is breathable…allowing moisture vapors to escape…the moisture can also get in. It would appear that the garment is “breathable” for a body that is doing very easy to moderate activity…i.e. walking…and not something strenuous like moderate to hard cycling. So what it comes down to is that one way or another you’re going to be wet…either sweating from moisture that can’t escape, or from precipitation leaking through. So…I choose the garment/material that will keep me warm (wind proof) when it’s wet. My personal choice for winter wear is, like you, a ski jacket. That is topped with a very thin outer Pearl iZumi polyester windbreaker. I can’t believe how affective those windbreakers are. They’re so thin and lite, but do an OUTSTANDING job at wind breaking. If the weather is dry but just cold…down to about 35°F all I need is a long sleeve shirt, and that windbreaker. But it does not really provide any water resistance.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-22-22, 01:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I'm a big fan of layers

but -40F on a bike?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-23-22 at 06:07 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-22-22, 01:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'd go for a very breathable jacket that goes to around zero (probably with good thermal underwear underneath. When it get still colder, pull a nylon (or equiv) windbreaker over that you can take off mid-ride as you warm up.

For me, the secret is to be warm enough the first 5 miles or so, then be able to shed layers to keep sweat down. Failure to do the first can mean (again, for me) a ride where I never do warm up and cannot get to a good, heat generating speed and effort.

Good hats under the helmet are another approach that are easily taken off as one warms. (At -20F, perhaps the hat under for the whole ride and a windproof shell over the helmet for the first miles.)
Old 09-22-22, 09:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
There will be argument, but IMO (and opinion of many others), you just can’t get “breathable” And “waterproof” in the same garment. Not in a garment worn for intense physical exercise anyway. If something is breathable…allowing moisture vapors to escape…the moisture can also get in. It would appear that the garment is “breathable” for a body that is doing very easy to moderate activity…i.e. walking…and not something strenuous like moderate to hard cycling. So what it comes down to is that one way or another you’re going to be wet…either sweating from moisture that can’t escape, or from precipitation leaking through. So…I choose the garment/material that will keep me warm (wind proof) when it’s wet. My personal choice for winter wear is, like you, a ski jacket. That is topped with a very thin outer Pearl iZumi polyester windbreaker. I can’t believe how affective those windbreakers are. They’re so thin and lite, but do an OUTSTANDING job at wind breaking. If the weather is dry but just cold…down to about 35°F all I need is a long sleeve shirt, and that windbreaker. But it does not really provide any water resistance.

Dan
Exactly. I've ridden a lot in the rain. Expanding on what you've said, water's going to get in, so I wear enough very breathable layers underneath, that when they get wet, I'm still warm because I'm working. No wool except for socks and maybe gloves. One has to have some sort of cooling system. In the summer it's sweat. In the wet, it's rain. In the cold and dry, one has to get rid of the water or it'll make you cold, so again everything breathable.
Old 09-22-22, 10:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
In Central Texas it does not get that cold. For winters I just use a "Breathable Nylon Wind Breaker" with a hood (Anorak type). I then pile on appropriate layers underneath for the temperature. Even then, temperature regulation was inadequate till I sewed in some arm pit zippers. Its not pretty but it gives me a comfortable temperature range to ride in 40's° to 60's° F.

I know... For some people that's T shirt weather... Ha
Old 09-23-22, 01:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by zandoval
In Central Texas it does not get that cold. For winters I just use a "Breathable Nylon Wind Breaker" with a hood (Anorak type). I then pile on appropriate layers underneath for the temperature. Even then, temperature regulation was inadequate till I sewed in some arm pit zippers. Its not pretty but it gives me a comfortable temperature range to ride in 40's° to 60's° F.
pit zips rule!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-23-22, 01:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
200 weight fleece is usually very breathable. If I were commuting at minus 22, i would wear a very light polypro top, then a mid weight fleece pullover sweater, then a NF Denali jacket or somebodies equivalent. Plus a light wind jacket as needed on windy days. I would not wear down, it loses its insulating ability when wet. If I were continually moving, I think those payer would be enough. I might carry a down puffy jacket in case I needed to stop and fix something.
Old 09-23-22, 06:23 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Plus a light wind jacket as needed on windy days
past cpl of years been using a vest w/o the sleeves as a wind break over other vented layers
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-30-22, 09:28 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Wouldn’t a waterproof shell be a good idea for road spray from vehicles.
Old 10-01-22, 06:09 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by b88
Wouldn’t a waterproof shell be a good idea for road spray from vehicles.
I do use full sleeved jackets in wet weather, but it can be tough to balance the weather protection w/ ventilation. but yes wind & spray need to be protected against
this Columbia shell has been working out the past few years & it has pit-zips for ventilation

it's not cycling specific but seems to fit OK on the bike. came across it by accident. forgot my wind layer one day & was far from home when I realized it, so had to find an outdoor store & was lucky to find something comfortable

I often use this thick North Face jacket that my late Dad bought for me, one birthday. it's got enormous pit-zips & even tho it's not a "shell" provides good protection from light rain, with the added bonus of thermal protection. a nice all-arounder

I wouldn't normally spend $150 on anything but sometimes someone or I do, & I make sure to get our money's worth out of it
Old 10-01-22, 12:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I wear layers. Merino wool base layer. Insulating layer and then outer shell for wind and rain or snow.

You'll keep yourself warm as long as you are pedalling so you might find yourself unzipping to let the heat out. But if you are stopped for a long time, you'll start freezing.

I don't like fleece. Too much static. I like wool. Go to a thrift store and look for wool cardigans or sweaters.
Old 10-07-22, 02:45 PM
b88

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I do use full sleeved jackets in wet weather, but it can be tough to balance the weather protection w/ ventilation. but yes wind & spray need to be protected against
this Columbia shell has been working out the past few years & it has pit-zips for ventilation

it's not cycling specific but seems to fit OK on the bike. came across it by accident. forgot my wind layer one day & was far from home when I realized it, so had to find an outdoor store & was lucky to find something comfortable

I often use this thick North Face jacket that my late Dad bought for me, one birthday. it's got enormous pit-zips & even tho it's not a "shell" provides good protection from light rain, with the added bonus of thermal protection. a nice all-arounder

I wouldn't normally spend $150 on anything but sometimes someone or I do, & I make sure to get our money's worth out of it
How is that helmet you are wearing comfort wise. Is the visor interchangeable for another tint or clear lens. Which brand is that. Thanks.
Old 10-07-22, 03:24 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by b88
How is that helmet you are wearing comfort wise. Is the visor interchangeable for another tint or clear lens. Which brand is that. Thanks.
the brand is basecamp I bought in on amazon it came w a tinted visor & I bought a clear visor to use at night it fits very well
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-16-22, 09:22 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Merino Wool baselayer, wool sox, fleece vest, and outerlayer thin jacket not windbreaker, but a little thicker. I like pearl izumi!
Old 10-17-22, 11:05 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Gotten many years out of my Gorewear insulated shell. Provides windproofing, waterproofing, very breathable. Can do a thermal or base layer underneath when needed. Not cheap, but well made and durable. Would buy again.
Old 10-17-22, 11:25 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
if a jacket is very waterproof, then I end up wet anyway from sweat. If I have to ride in the rain, I'm committed to getting wet and I'll try to make the best of it.

as for winter jackets, all of mine are wind blocker in the front, vented or breathable material in the back. Seems to work. I cycle down to about 25 degrees F and layer according to the temp and predicted physical output.
Old 10-18-22, 12:22 AM
b88

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Gotten many years out of my Gorewear insulated shell. Provides windproofing, waterproofing, very breathable. Can do a thermal or base layer underneath when needed. Not cheap, but well made and durable. Would buy again.
I been checking for a long time. Strange that Gorewear still don't ship to Canada.

"Currently we ship to Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, The Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States. Please use the country selector to choose the correct site for your country".
Old 10-18-22, 10:35 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
canukophobes.
Old 10-20-22, 11:08 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
under -22 F for an hour or so
Yikes!

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
you just can’t get “breathable” And “waterproof” in the same garment.
^^^This

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm a big fan of layers
Also ^^^this

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For me, the secret is to be warm enough the first 5 miles or so, then be able to shed layers to keep sweat down.
Interesting. I'm quite the opposite, and everyone I know who rides in sub-freezing temps also subscribes to this rule-of-thumb: the secret is to not be warm enough the first 5 miles or so; you want to be a little cold when just starting out, so that when you do eventually warm up you don't run the risk of having already drenched your inner layers in sweat.
Old 10-20-22, 05:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Interesting. I'm quite the opposite, and everyone I know who rides in sub-freezing temps also subscribes to this rule-of-thumb: the secret is to not be warm enough the first 5 miles or so; you want to be a little cold when just starting out, so that when you do eventually warm up you don't run the risk of having already drenched your inner layers in sweat.
I've overdone it and been too warm but I thrive in the warm stuff so that's just unpleasant and a lot of stuff to wash. And I've done rides where I never could get my core temperature up enough to ride hard enough for sustainable warmth. The resulting ride was condtioning-wise, a waste of time and a couple of times, scary. Fortunately those were on warming days.

Edit: I'm built like an air conditioner, all surface area, little volume. I've always run cold. 98.6 and what's going on? That's almost fever for me. (A little exaggeration but over the many COVID skin tests, I was only once or twice up to "par".

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-20-22 at 05:42 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-21-22, 06:21 AM
tscat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbia makes good jackets their linings have a reflective material that keeps you warm and they are 2 jackets in 1, the one i have is a water resistant outter shell with an insulated lining, and if its really cold a layer up
Old 10-24-22, 06:56 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Coldest I rode was with 3 layers top bottom, neck gaiter, winter boots and 2 wool socks on flat pedals and with a granny jacket down to about -5 degrees F. It doesn't get any colder than that where I live. I think a parka or heavy jacket is a must, as are mitten multilayer gloves. Consider electric heaters too at those temps.
Old 12-19-22, 02:45 PM
psycholist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
winter jacket replacements?

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
So this is the jacket I've also depended on for over ten years of winter riding. Yesterday the main zipper gave it up and the jacket is useless and I am panicking about a replacement. So many new brands, so many new materials and the cost has only gone up. The Gorewear jacket was $$$$ but it had quality everything and got me easily down into the 20s before adding a layer of silk or whatever. If you had to replace yours today what would you go with? Showers Pass is looking interesting but IDK...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.