Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Old 07-07-18, 08:54 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Hub Spanner
I leave it at home. I like to be in the moment. I don’t listen to music while running or riding either. YMMV.
There are ways to have your phone nearby and not be randomly bothered by it.
Old 07-07-18, 09:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I'm assuming the magnet doesn't interfere with the phone. However, my wife has a phone case with a magnetic clasp and it seems to have interfered with the touch screen, rendering it intermittent. We changed back to her old non-magnetic case and the problem disappeared. It's an LG G3.
A magnet will not interfere with the display itself, nor the any of the phone electronics except if it has a compass/magnetic field sensor.

In your case the LG G3 probably has the magnetic sleep feature, a tiny sensor that puts the phone to sleep when the case is closed and the magnet was close enough to confuse it.

Maybe ironically, I have clipped the magnetic clasp off on my wife's phone case and replaced it with velcro. She was worried about it, or has the sensor or something - easier to just change it than troubleshoot a problem if any.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-07-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 09:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A magnet will not interfere with the display itself, nor the any of the phone electronics except if it has a compass/magnetic field sensor.

In your case the LG G3 probably has the magnetic sleep feature, a tiny sensor that puts the phone to sleep when the case is closed and the magnet was close enough to confuse it.
I know that the LG G3 phones touted some special cases with a circular window. Your explanation sounds very likely correct.
Old 07-07-18, 09:21 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
In my pocket.
Old 07-07-18, 10:38 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Samsung Galaxy, water resistant. Always placed in my right-side jersey pocket, screen facing my body, typically with a single ear bud attached to it. No baggie ever, even in rain, sleet, and snow. Never an issue bouncing out on mtb, though you can feel it getting weightless on small jumps (which is all I'm capable of).
Old 07-07-18, 11:27 AM
Frizlefrak

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar mounted cradle. Use it as my dashboard / radio. I carry a ziploc in case it rains..
Old 07-07-18, 11:31 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I use a cell phone arm band that most use for listening to music while they run. However, i simply wrap around my stem and it hangs down the head tube. You cant see the phone face so its pretty useless for anything except holding your phone.
Old 07-08-18, 11:41 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the seat wedge for Fritz, and the Jandd frame wedge for Feathers. I prefer the Jandd because it makes my phone more accessible than the seat wedge while also getting it off my sweaty body.
I've been assured that my phone is "water proof" but I'll bet my stuff would prove to be the exception to the rule... I have trust issues...
Old 07-08-18, 02:59 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bought something that mounts the phone on my handlebars, but didn't like it. When I feel like tracking my ride, I just start the app and toss the phone in my bag. I find that I enjoy my ride more if I don't have the phone right in front of my face.
Old 07-09-18, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Commuting, in the pannier. I toured with a bar bag before the flip phone died, and like it so much I ride with one when I don't carry panniers now. It's Ortlieb, waterproof, like the panniers, so the monster phone goes in the bar bag if there's no panniers on the bike.
Old 07-09-18, 10:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Can't help you. I've still got my flip phone just so I avoid those issues.

But it leads me to wonder if you can get the same phone number on two phones. I might consider a smart phone if I could keep the flip phone as well and just turn on whichever one I wanted to use.
I'm also still using a flip-burner. I leave it in my kittier. Every week or so I pull it out and turn it on.

As for same number/two phones, probably not possible. If both phones are smartphones, then you could get a free Google Voice number and use it on both phones using the Google Voice app. 'Free' if on wifi, or using data if out&about. But if one phone is flip, apps are not available.
Old 07-09-18, 12:33 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey pocket, my last three phones have been waterproof so sweat or rain isn't an issue
Old 07-09-18, 12:40 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I have a rear top rack back and I keep my phone in there. I have a ziploc bag in it in case it rains etc. If you're looking for the racer aesthetic I suppose that wouldn't work. For mountain biking I got a hard sided case that goes in my rear underseat bag.

I have no idea why anyone would say with a straight face that going riding without a cell phone is a good idea. A cell phone is a magic device that lets you communicate wireless with anyone you want including uber/lyft/taxis or emergency services. Why would you ride without it? Just be an adult (or actually perhaps a teenagers as they never answer their phones lol) and don't use answer your phone if it rings. Not hard. I see no reason to deal with the possible hassle of getting stranded or the rare emergency life threatening situation and not be able to get ahold of someone because you didn't bring your phone with you.

Cell phones have also made group rides a lot more mentally enjoyable for me as I know if I get dropped, I can always get back to my car via google maps or uber. One time I biked to the gym, locked up my bike, when I came out I tried to unlock my bike - something has failed inside the lock and it wouldn't unlock. As I had my cell phone with me I didn't have to go through a long tedious walk back to my car, or deal with the hassle of calling a friend and bothering them to pick me up, I just got Uber and for $10 got a ride back to my car. When I came back to pick up my friends bike my lock had started working again and I was able to unlock it so altogether it was basically no big deal.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 07-09-18 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 01:54 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I keep mine in a top tube saddle bad....only I put it behind the seat post on the arms of the rear rack.

Something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWZ3HC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There are a million shapes and sizes and colors. On my old bike I kept it right behind the stem on the top tube but it just didn't fit well on my current bike that way so I found the alternate spot behind the seat.

Most have a case for the phone that sits on top but I never liked those.

I have a foam liner I custom cut to fit into one side of the bag so my phone is well protected while I ride. The other side is open and I keep my wallet and keys and stuff in there.

I leave the bag on the bike at all times. So there is always a phone storage option and a place for my keys. Never have to think about if I have pockets or if anything will fall out. Nor do I have to rely on a full pannier or trunk bag, which I never use when just riding for fun on the weekend.

And I keep a shower cap tucked under my saddle so if it rains I quickly put it out and coverage both sides of the mini saddlebag and then my phone is dry and so is my car's keyfob. (3rd image)

(The phone on the handlebars in the second picture is a dedicated phone for mileage and mapping. I hate the idea of my daily use phone being on the handlebars.)

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-10-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 04:24 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^@Skipjacks, I love your setup! Definitely giving me ideas for mine haha.

OP, considering I normally ride in jeans, front pocket. If for some reason that's starts to bother me, into the ditty saddle bag it goes! I've gone down a couple times, not a scratch; minimal case.
Old 07-09-18, 08:28 PM
wern0122
Commuter

Bikes: Ye Olde Steel Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just let my phone get sweaty in my hip pocket and wipe it off afterward, but I think it's supposed to be splashproof.
Old 07-09-18, 11:01 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My phone slips into a can cozy (the flat type that has the folded bottom) and then into a jersey pocket. This protects against sweat and provides minimal cushioning that I hope I'll never need. I can get to it easier (one handed) than if it's in a bag (two hands). The zip lock is in my saddle bag if needed.
Old 07-10-18, 02:07 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
^@Skipjacks, I love your setup! Definitely giving me ideas for mine haha.

OP, considering I normally ride in jeans, front pocket. If for some reason that's starts to bother me, into the ditty saddle bag it goes! I've gone down a couple times, not a scratch; minimal case.
Stopped reading at blasphemy.
Old 07-10-18, 07:01 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Radical Rick
For the longest time I used a cheapo flip phone. I never worried about having the flip phone in my pocket. It could get banged around, drenched in sweat, and it wasn't a problem. I upgraded to a cheaper smart phone a few years ago. It was very durable, and never had a problem carrying it in my pocket. Once I even dropped it while trying to text and ride. It didn't have a case, and it survived the fall with only a minor ding.

A few days ago I decided to take the plunge. I bought a fancy new smart phone. I was about to go for a ride with my new phone in my pocket, and started having second thoughts. These newer smart phones seem more fragile than earlier models. I have one of those hard cases for it, but it will still get sweaty. This got me to thinking about one of those phone holsters, but I feel like that will get in my way while riding.

Where do you carry your cell phone when you ride? Are you concerned with damaging it? Have you ever damaged a phone while riding?
Commuting/ road riding: I carry my phone in my pocket on my jersey in a Ziploc bag. It is in a case and has a tech armor screen protector. it works well. I like to be able to access it. I used to put in my Ortlieb panniers but have had a few experiences that make me put it in m jersey pocket.1. I once was stopped by a woman on the street about to have a seizure 2. I like to take pictures or 3. write down notes of idiot drivers

Mountain Biking: I put in Ziploc in my camelback backpack.
Old 07-10-18, 08:34 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I use the Rokform Bike Mount. It replaces the stem cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&tag=tcbse-20

It's very solid and can be adjusted for angle of view.
Old 07-10-18, 09:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'll let you know if I ever get one.
Old 07-10-18, 10:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I keep mine in a top tube saddle bad....only I put it behind the seat post on the arms of the rear rack.

Something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWZ3HC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There are a million shapes and sizes and colors. On my old bike I kept it right behind the stem on the top tube but it just didn't fit well on my current bike that way so I found the alternate spot behind the seat.

Most have a case for the phone that sits on top but I never liked those.

I have a foam liner I custom cut to fit into one side of the bag so my phone is well protected while I ride. The other side is open and I keep my wallet and keys and stuff in there.

I leave the bag on the bike at all times. So there is always a phone storage option and a place for my keys. Never have to think about if I have pockets or if anything will fall out. Nor do I have to rely on a full pannier or trunk bag, which I never use when just riding for fun on the weekend.

And I keep a shower cap tucked under my saddle so if it rains I quickly put it out and coverage both sides of the mini saddlebag and then my phone is dry and so is my car's keyfob. (3rd image)

(The phone on the handlebars in the second picture is a dedicated phone for mileage and mapping. I hate the idea of my daily use phone being on the handlebars.)
Very clever! ...and smart-looking! (unlike most of my modifications and customizations)
Old 07-10-18, 10:58 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Can't help you. I've still got my flip phone just so I avoid those issues.

But it leads me to wonder if you can get the same phone number on two phones. I might consider a smart phone if I could keep the flip phone as well and just turn on whichever one I wanted to use.
I've been wanting a second phone with the same number for a while. That way I could leave the more expensive phone at home and use the burner phone for calling if needed - and not worrying about it getting damaged while I'm riding.
Old 07-10-18, 11:15 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I've been wanting a second phone with the same number for a while. That way I could leave the more expensive phone at home and use the burner phone for calling if needed - and not worrying about it getting damaged while I'm riding.
You can swap the SIM card into a second phone easy enough (on most devices)

It takes a minute because you have to power down to switch the SIM card then power back up the new phone. But it'll work.
Old 07-10-18, 11:45 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAK
My phone slips into a can cozy (the flat type that has the folded bottom) and then into a jersey pocket. This protects against sweat and provides minimal cushioning that I hope I'll never need. I can get to it easier (one handed) than if it's in a bag (two hands). The zip lock is in my saddle bag if needed.
"Can cozy" that's a pretty good idea. I'll give that a shot.

I keep my screen facing away when it's in my pocket or jersey. I've dialed 911 a couple of times by accident through my clothing...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.