Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding near Greensburg, PA?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-10-23, 04:16 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

I just moved to the Greensburg area (Irwin, to be exact) in October, moved from the Altoona area that has tons of great riding. The roads I drive to work are mostly back roads but there is ZERO shoulder and don't look like very good options. The other is Route 30 but I have no interest in that kamikaze mission.
And there are no bike shops that I've found to ask, so I turn to you, internet. So, what are some good roads around here?
Old 01-10-23, 05:30 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
When I lived back East, I rode that area a lot. Your right, riding stinks there. One bright spot is the backroads up the Cumberland Valley. There was a lifetime of backroads that were great. Checkout Pine Grove Furnace area and for longer trips, the Apple orchards between Mt. Holly and Goodyear. (You'll need a car for that.)
Old 01-10-23, 06:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
I expect you can use back roads (or maybe gravel roads), if you have a Strava account you can use the heatmap feature to see where local fellow cyclists are riding. Find a local bike club, even if it's closer to Pittsburgh, and look at their route library. You can also search routes on ridewithgps.com but that may be more hit/miss. Good luck!
Old 01-10-23, 07:08 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Don't know the area. But PA. has LOTS of rail-trails. Surfaces vary, from crushed limestone to asphalt. Might want to look into them, and if fnd them to suit, maybe get a gravel bike or other suitable bike for them (if you don't already have one).
TrailLink: Trail Maps & Guide for Biking, Hiking & Running Trails | TrailLink
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-10-23, 12:36 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Not familiar with rides / roads in and around areas east of Pittsburgh including Westmoreland County, Indiana County, Greensburg area etc

might get some responses in the Regional - Mid Atlantic forum (?) - I suggest a post there also

attached a link to an outstanding resource created by Oscar Swan - Bike Rides out of Pittsburgh (includes rides east of the city)

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~apd/Pittsburg...Pittsburgh.pdf

Likes For t2p:
Old 01-10-23, 09:23 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Hello,
I live in Hollidaysburg. My wife is from Everson. I remember riding an old Route near the old Volkswagen plant. I think it was route 31. It seems to be a pretty long route which probably goes into Pittsburgh.
There is a Rails to trails along 119 near Youngwood, I think. There is also a small bike shop on 119 in Youngwood close to where it meets 70. I never had the chance to stop in and browse.
Moving is a pain, but at least you get to experience some different sights in your travels. I've been riding Scotch Valley and Poplar Run most of my life.

Good luck
Old 01-11-23, 09:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
I just moved to the Greensburg area (Irwin, to be exact) in October, moved from the Altoona area that has tons of great riding. The roads I drive to work are mostly back roads but there is ZERO shoulder and don't look like very good options. The other is Route 30 but I have no interest in that kamikaze mission.
And there are no bike shops that I've found to ask, so I turn to you, internet. So, what are some good roads around here?
In my experience, back roads with zero shoulder are typically the best option for safe riding
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-11-23, 11:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
In my experience, back roads with zero shoulder are typically the best option for safe riding
Basically the only roads we ride now

unfortunately we have to drive to get to most of these spots - in our area most farms have been replaced by developments, etc
Old 01-12-23, 02:39 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bully4
Hello,
I live in Hollidaysburg. My wife is from Everson. I remember riding an old Route near the old Volkswagen plant. I think it was route 31. It seems to be a pretty long route which probably goes into Pittsburgh.
There is a Rails to trails along 119 near Youngwood, I think. There is also a small bike shop on 119 in Youngwood close to where it meets 70. I never had the chance to stop in and browse.
Moving is a pain, but at least you get to experience some different sights in your travels. I've been riding Scotch Valley and Poplar Run most of my life.

Good luck
Scotch Valley is a wonderful road to ride. I would do that down to Canoe Creek, across 22 and end up coming down Chimney Rocks. I miss that ride. My house is in Tipton (wife and kids are still there) most roads in the northern part of the county are great for riding.
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm not a fan of rails to trails but they will probably be my best bet.
Old 01-12-23, 03:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Basically the only roads we ride now

unfortunately we have to drive to get to most of these spots - in our area most farms have been replaced by developments, etc
I’m right on the edge- 2-3 miles of riding to get to empty roads
Old 01-25-23, 04:06 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Pittsburgh roads are definitely more tricky to navigate especially if you came from a more bike-friendly environment. We just moved to the Pitt area as well and I have been having similar challenges. Shoulders are more narrow and sometimes there are no shoulders but the drivers are surprisingly more respectful/nice here. The other day I had a flat in backroad and every single car stopped to ask me if I need help. That exceeded my expectations by miles, honestly. What I do is carefully ride to backroads where traffic is little to sometimes non-existent. Hours and hours of riding in peace, only if I had time and the weather was good (sigh).

I do not hesitate to take over a lane when I have to. I also purchased a Varia which gives me extra piece of mind. I think it's a must-have in this area. Just go out and explore the roads. Zwift is your friend too.

Btw what t2p posted is an amazing resource. I am blown by how detailed it is. WOW! Thank you!