Old 09-05-13, 02:05 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Puget Sound area touring RFI

Hi, all. I`m just about ready to leave for roughly a week of riding plus a few days of motoring in and around the sound, islands, and Olympic Peninsula. I have my "large scale" plans pretty well figured out, but still a little stuck on some of the details, hoping for a little extra insight.

General overview: Leaving next Thursday, will start riding Fri from downtown Seattle (near the ferry terminal). 1st leg will be to Anacortes via Bainbridge, Kitsap Pen, and Whidbey. Meeting with your homeboy Woodway and his wife on Mon morning to ferry over to Orcas and back for a day ride. Next leg, directly to Sequim for a couple days worth of family visit and some off bike resting/motor touring. Final leg will be from Sequim (or maybe bum a ride back as far as PT) back to downtown Seattle. My first and last nights will be in a hostel, time in Sequim will be at my uncle`s house, the rest will be tenting.

Maps and routing are my biggest concerns. I`ve checked out tons of great (and not-so-great) online maps, and they`ve been helpful though still leave me hanging to a large degree. Besides that, I don`t carry a laptop to access them, and my attempts to print bits of them haven`t turned out well. I`d like to pick up some paper maps when I get up there, specifically the Jefferson County map put out by PT Bikes (apparently still in print) and/or the "Bicycling In King County" map (mixed info whether or not it`s still available). Anbody know it those are easily found in area LBS? Other paper map suggestions? I`m goint to try calling a few downtown shops to see what maps they might have in stock. Any specific shop suggestions to start with for that? As of now, I have the PT Bikes Clallam map, good photocoppies from the DeLorme state atlas, and a not-so-good highway map of the whole state and hoping to get ahold of a AAA highway map to see if it`s any better than the one I already have.

My overall routes are pretty much set except the return from Sequim. In order to check out some different scenery, I`m leaning towards taking the ferry back to Whidbey, then down to Mukilteo and down on the mainland. The other obvious option that calls my attention would be back to Kitsap and continue all the way down to Bremerton. Or maybe Kingston-Edmonds from Kitsap? Are any of those routes significantly "nicer" than the others?

As far as riding on the mainland, the major rail trails look awesome! Not sure if navigation is tricky, though. From what I`ve read online, the I-90 trail seems broken up, very complicated, and hard to follow. Yes? No? A recent thread here makes the Burke-Gillman trail sound like just what I need, at least for a big chunk of my way down from Mukilteo. What about the Sammamish River/Lake Sam trails and the Snoqualmie River Trail- well marked and easily navigated by an out of towner? To help undertand what routes might best suit me, I`m slow anyway, so not being able to haul a$$ on MUTs won`t bother me, I`m okay with high speed traffic on rural highways, fine with gravel, but not very good at big city navigation, and terribly nervous in city traffic with lots of cross streets, merging, etc.

Beyond routing, how is payment usually made at state park campgounds? Do most use the same pay system, or all different? 24 hour self pay boxes that give no change? Limited hours entrance kiosks where I can pay with plastic, or at least don`t have to "donate" the change if all I happen to have are twenties?

If anybody has comments or suggestions for things I might have not thought to ask, don`t hold back. Thanks for reading my novel and have a nice weekend

Last edited by rodar y rodar; 09-05-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 09:36 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I might be able to help with the Mukilteo directions, if you choose that route.

Some people more local may have better routes, if so, hopefully they'll chime in.

We live in Greenwood and recently rode up to the Edmonds ferry last month and the route we took for that was great. In a couple of weeks we are riding up to the Mukilteo ferry and back as part of a three day ride and I've been working on figuring out the best routes for that, for us. What I've found so far, is an direct extension of our ride up to the Edmonds ferry dock, especially since the Interurban can get confusing in spots.

I'm still trying to figure out how much scenic riding or riding on quieter streets we are going to do, because on our last day we are going to put in pretty high miles for us already once you include what we'll have done before we catch the ferry back to Mukilteo and the more scenic routes and some of the quieter roads are not only a little out of the way, but include more hills, which are tough for us.

At the moment this is what I am considering though:
(I'll probably work out a less pleasant route that is more direct in case we are tired or flagging. Once I've decided on the route for that one, I'll post it here too.)

Note: Mukilteo Speedway doesn't look pleasant to ride on to me, so we are going to take the trail that parallels it to the east alongside the railroad from Boeing to the railroad ferry.

Head southeast on Mukilteo Speedway toward Washington 525 - Ferry Lanes 0.3 mi

Turn left onto 5th St 0.5 mi

Turn into the Dogs and Trails Park and take the trail south along the railroad tracks 1.6 mi

Turn right toward Boeing Fwy 0.2 mi

Turn right onto Boeing Fwy 0.4 mi

Turn right onto 84th St SW 358 ft

Turn left toward Harbour Pl 0.8 mi

Slight left at Mukilteo Speedway 66 ft

Turn right onto Harbour Pl 0.4 mi

Turn right onto Harbour Pointe Blvd 1.2 mi

Turn right onto St Andrews Dr 0.8 mi

Turn right onto 116th St SW 427 ft

116th St SW turns left and becomes Marine View Dr 0.2 mi

Turn right to stay on Marine View Dr 0.7 mi

Slight right onto Maplewood Ave 0.3 mi

Slight left onto Picnic Point Rd 0.9 mi

Turn left onto 140th St SW 0.2 mi

Turn right onto 52nd Ave 0.4 mi

Turn right to stay on 52nd Ave W 0.1 mi

Turn left onto Norma Beach Rd 0.2 mi

Turn right onto 48th Ave W 1.2 mi

Turn right onto 168th St SW 0.9 mi

Continue onto Olympic View Dr 0.5 mi

Turn right onto Meadowdale Beach Rd 0.7 mi

Turn left onto 76th Ave W 0.2 mi

Turn right onto 171st St SW 0.2 mi

Turn left onto Talbot Rd 1.1 mi

Turn right onto Olympic View Dr 1.2 mi

Turn right onto Puget Dr 0.1 mi

Continue straight onto 9th Ave N 0.2 mi

Continue onto Caspers St 0.5 mi

Caspers St turns slightly left and becomes Sunset Ave N 0.4 mi

Turn left onto Bell St 0.1 mi

Turn right onto 3rd Ave N 417 ft

Turn left onto Main St 0.1 mi

At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto 5th Ave S/Rosalynn Sumners Blvd 331 ft

Turn left onto Dayton St 0.4 mi

Turn right onto 8th Ave S 0.1 mi

Continue onto 8th Ave Connector 0.1 mi

Continue onto 8th Ave S 0.9 mi

Turn left onto 15th St SW 0.1 mi

Turn right onto 100th Ave W 0.7 mi

Continue onto Firdale Ave 0.4 mi

Continue straight onto N 205th St/244th St SW* 0.5 mi

Turn right onto Fremont Ave N 0.3 mi

Turn left onto N 200th St 0.5 mi

Turn right onto Interurban Trail 0.5 mi

Slight right to stay on Interurban Trail 0.3 mi

Turn right to stay on Interurban Trail 354 ft

Turn left to stay on Interurban Trail 0.2 mi

Turn right to stay on Interurban Trail 0.8 mi

Continue straight to stay on Interurban Trail 1.2 mi

Turn right onto N 145th St/Interurban Trail 23 ft

Turn left onto Linden Ave N 0.1 mi

Turn right onto N 143rd St/Interurban Trail 10 ft

Turn left onto Linden Ave N 0.7 mi

Turn left onto N 128th St/Interurban Trail 26 ft

Turn right onto Interurban Trail 1.0 mi

Turn right onto N 110th St 0.1 mi

Turn left onto Dayton Ave N

from here my directions don't help you as they are just to my apartment nearby. If you need suggestions as to how to get south from there I can certainly help with that, but it'd help to know what part of the city is your destination.

* 205th/244th is the county line. 244th is the southernmost street of Snohomish County, while 205th is the northernmost of King County. I assume the split is right down the middle of the street and westbound is technically 244th and eastbound is 205th.

Like I said, I haven't ridden this route further than near the Edmonds ferry dock and have prioritized it for quieter and possibly pleasant or scenic routes over the most direct route. We get tired of hearing cars whizz past us on long days in the saddle.

I'd welcome refinements to my route for people more local to that area, and I'm sure the OP would appreciate alternate routes.

I have ridden the above route from 8th Ave to the south (albeit northbound) and we found it pleasant and easy riding.

Personally, I've had trouble following the Interurban at times the further north it goes. The last time we ventured up it, we did notice that signage had improved quite a bit since last year, and I've definitely noticed some improvements to the trail route itself over the past three years. To my mind, it is easy to follow south of 200th in King County, and the above directions from Google about 10 feet here etc are a little extraneous.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-05-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 08:24 AM
sss
Rider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS in downtown Seattle: Elliot Bay Bicycles.
Maps in downtown Seattle: Metskers Maps.
Both are in/near the Pike Place Market.
Old 09-07-13, 09:48 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys. Metzkers doesn`t carry the specific maps I was looking for, but have others that will likely work- will find out when I get there. EB Bikes has no maps. I emailed a few more bike shops to ask, but I`m starting to doubt I`ll find the King County map anywhere, and maybe the PT Bikes map only in PT.

Medic, though there sure are a lot turns in that route for me, I apptreciate your taking the time to type it all out. The Mukilteo Speedway is a racetrack? Just curious- it sounds kind of fun if that`s true and there`s actually a way to jump on and incorporate it into a ride. Have fun if you do that.

I`m packing now and stuck on whether or not to carry a lock. I generally don`t when I tour, but have a few short stops in Seattle before I hit the road. Now I`m thinking I should just leave my bike in the locker at the hostel and walk/bus myself around the city since the bike is a folder with no good way to lock it up (no trianlges in the frame). Comments on that one?
Old 09-07-13, 10:14 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Thanks for the tips, guys. Metzkers doesn`t carry the specific maps I was looking for, but have others that will likely work- will find out when I get there. EB Bikes has no maps. I emailed a few more bike shops to ask, but I`m starting to doubt I`ll find the King County map anywhere, and maybe the PT Bikes map only in PT.

Medic, though there sure are a lot turns in that route for me, I appreciate your taking the time to type it all out. The Mukilteo Speedway is a racetrack? Just curious- it sounds kind of fun if that`s true and there`s actually a way to jump on and incorporate it into a ride. Have fun if you do that.

I`m packing now and stuck on whether or not to carry a lock. I generally don`t when I tour, but have a few short stops in Seattle before I hit the road. Now I`m thinking I should just leave my bike in the locker at the hostel and walk/bus myself around the city since the bike is a folder with no good way to lock it up (no trianlges in the frame). Comments on that one?
You definitely don't want to leave it downtown not locked up!

Mukilteo Speedway is a busy arterial street. It might technically be a highway as well, I can't remember.

I have a cue sheet holder on my handlebars and just follow the turn-by-turns that way.

IIRC, Google suggests a MUCH more straight-forward route over to the Interurban Trail and then south along it.

RE: the bolded, no problem at all! I needed to transcribe it for our trip back from the ferry to home in a couple of weeks anyway!
Old 09-24-13, 09:28 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Follow up:
The photocoppies from Delorme maps turned out to be pretty good. I did find a map called "Regional Trails in King County" at the Bike Alliance Of Wa office- not sure if I just got lucky and they happened to have some left over, or if it`s still in print. It`s the map on the Seattle DOT`s website and you can click the link that says Bike Map Request Form if you want to order one ahead of time. Hopefully.
https://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikemaps.htm

Woodway set me up with a wonderful route from Mukilteo to Issaquah, where I loaded onto a bus in order to avoid the traffic and nav issues inherent in central metro zones. It worked very well. Without going into a whole mess of details (you can plot it ahead of time with Google Maps and note all the necessary turns), Mukilteo Blvd (5th st) North-ish out of Mukilteo, 3rd Ave south from Everett, Lowell-Snoho Rivr Rd, Old Snoho-Monroe Rd, Monroe-Duval Rd, Tualco Rd, High Bridge/Snoqualamie Vy Rd, Woodinville-Duvall Rd, Snoqualamie Valley rail trail, Preston-Snoqualamie trail. Check carefully for the changeup between the two bike trails- I thought that would be obvious and didn`t look into it, got lost in the Snoqualamie area. Busses every half hour from Issaquah park and ride to downtown Seattle.

I got a response from somebody with the state park dept that really didn`t answer my questions. Ended up with self pay boxes at most parks ($12 for Hiker/Biker sites, but as far as I can tell, no way to find out ahead of time if the park you`re looking at offers that type of site). Decpetion Pass had a pay booth, but I also saw self pay at the campground, probably for people comming in after the booth closed. Also check for county parks in the counties you`ll be passing- a number of former state parks are now administered by the individual counties and still have campgrounds. Anacortes has a beautiful city park with campground ($10 per night for the hidden H/B sites) close to the ferry terminal.

Last edited by rodar y rodar; 09-24-13 at 09:36 AM.