Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike Fit Angles on Photo

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Bike Fit Angles on Photo

Old 10-08-22, 07:29 PM
FL_Gator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bike Fit Angles on Photo

Can anyone direct me to an app or website that will allow me to measure my fit angles over a picture of myself on the my bike? Doesn’t even need to be bike specific, I just can’t find an easy way to measure my angles off of a photo.
I see the various bike fit apps you have to pay for, I’m just looking for some low tech angle maker.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 10-08-22, 11:34 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
You're making it too difficult. Print the photo, draw the angles with a pencil and a straightedge, and measure the angles with a protractor.
Old 10-09-22, 06:43 AM
FL_Gator

[QUOTE=You're making it too difficult. Print the photo, draw the angles with a pencil and a straightedge, and measure the angles with a protractor.[/QUOTE]

I’m an architect and could certainly do it this way but when trying to tweak a fit with an iterative process it seems like there are more efficient options. Every fit video on YoutTube shows digital angles drawn on a photo, just wondering what they are using.
For that matter I suppose I could use AutoCAD, if needed.
Old 10-10-22, 09:33 AM
ucdcrush

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use Kinovea. It's free, well featured, and has a "bike fit" overlay that you can use to get all the angles you want. You can load pictures or videos, and videos you can step through at various speeds or frame by frame. It's awesome.
Likes For ucdcrush:
Old 10-10-22, 01:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Don't get all bummed out if the formulas and other calculation of the angles don't quite work for you. I'd just consider them a starting place. If you have the perfect proportions that those formulas were based on then you might get a great fit the first time. But if not, don't be scared to change something.

Your particular ache or annoyance will be a clue as to what should be changed.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-10-22, 02:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by ucdcrush
Use Kinovea. It's free, well featured, and has a "bike fit" overlay that you can use to get all the angles you want. You can load pictures or videos, and videos you can step through at various speeds or frame by frame. It's awesome.
I wish they had an Apple version.

What I did at the time was to take a video, and then scroll through to find max and min angles (eg: for the knee), took a screenshot, and imported them into Apple's Keynote, overlayed lines, and obtained the intersection angles. A bit clunky, but it worked.

Kinovea sounds like a far better option if you have Windows on hand.
Old 10-10-22, 07:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
MyVeloFit is probably the best bike fitting app out there. Here's a review: https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike...lo-fit-review/
Old 10-12-22, 09:42 PM
FL_Gator

Thanks everyone, Kinovea does look like a great option but I am also an apple user so I can’t access it. I did import my photo into Autocad and it worked great but I also found MyVeloFit this week (right before the post above) and I might give it a try for fun. Thanks all for the help!
Old 10-15-22, 12:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,708 Times in 2,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
MyVeloFit is probably the best bike fitting app out there. Here's a review: https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike...lo-fit-review/
+1
I found it excellent and cheap enough not to worry about the cost. I used it to dial in the fit on my new Canyon last winter and was pretty impressed with the results. They've added new features since, so I may give it another go as I took the annual subscription.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-17-22, 07:03 PM
FL_Gator

Update: I’ve been using MyVeloFit and it’s been great. It doesn’t get detailed into the why of each adjustment etc but it tells you exactly what to do and got my to my most comfortable fit in two days… even after two sessions with a professional fitter locally. For the price, I recommend it.
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 10-18-22, 05:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,708 Times in 2,908 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_Gator
Update: I’ve been using MyVeloFit and it’s been great. It doesn’t get detailed into the why of each adjustment etc but it tells you exactly what to do and got my to my most comfortable fit in two days… even after two sessions with a professional fitter locally. For the price, I recommend it.
Glad you found it useful. There are a few reasons why I really like MyVeloFit:-

1. I think their underlying fit ideology is pretty sound for most people. For example they are not overly aggressive in their road fits.
2. Their video analysis is pretty solid and repeatable.
3. Their software is easy to use
4. It's a pretty reasonable cost.

I'm going to use it again over the winter to check my road bike fit as I've tweaked it very slightly since last year. I also noticed they made some fairly major updates recently, so I'm curious to see if they have made further refinements.