Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

“Earthing” ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'm a trained scientist, but I don't pretend that science as we know it today explains everything.

Look at the way fire science is now looking at native practices similar to "controlled burns" to mitigate wildfires, just in the last 10-15 years. Or the articles on reintroducing beavers, and the benefits to flood control, water retention, and biodiversity in the last five years. Those are a far cry from the Corps of Engineers straightening and armoring (via concrete viaducts) creeks and small rivers when I was younger.

So my wife was fascinated to find New Zealand hospitals include a small garden with bare soil so natives (and other patients) can walk barefoot on dirt as part of their recovery. There's no evidence that it doesn't work, and thousands of years of native healing behind the practice. (She was less enthused by birds flying through open windows and down the halls, FWIW.)
Old 12-16-22, 08:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
When I was a kid I had a terrible time with car sickness. My dad fastened a chain to our 52 Chevy to drag on the ground to supposedly solve the problem.
I don’t think it worked.
My wife gets airsick. I’ve got a lot of chain on order …
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-16-22, 08:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Well just drag an anchor chain. Im old enough to remember back in the '40s, when a lot of guys had a small chain dragging on the ground under their car.
Old 12-16-22, 08:59 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'd like to see a blind study that also had subjects tested while wearing special shoes with copper in the soles to amplify the earth effect.

I suspect the results might be similar.
Old 12-16-22, 09:50 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well obviously there will be some commercial products available in almost anything you can think of. But I don't think there is a "Big grounding" industry. It's largely a non-commercial scrientific concept as far as I was aware. The little I've read about it suggests walking barefoot outdoors occasionally to ground yourself. I've read about grounding your bed too, but again hardly a commercial sell.
That's how gravel bikes started and now there's gravel shoes, shorts, shirts, socks, chammies, glasses, etc. So, yea.
As a kid, we called earthing, playing in the grass, I guess that' why I'm cynical about it. It cost nothing and we did not need special terms or equipment. Just like as a kid we called gravel biking; riding on a dirt road.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-16-22, 10:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
That's how gravel bikes started and now there's gravel shoes, shorts, shirts, socks, chammies, glasses, etc. So, yea.
As a kid, we called earthing, playing in the grass, I guess that' why I'm cynical about it. It cost nothing and we did not need special terms or equipment. Just like as a kid we called gravel biking; riding on a dirt road.
Yep, we can definitely agree you are cynical. Especially if you think this is how gravel bikes came about!

My take is that a lot of people have simply lost that simple connection with the natural world in their everyday lives and maybe there are some potential negative consequences. It's a bit like taking vitamin D supplements in lieu of getting enough natural sunlight. The science is clearly limited as to the potential benefits of being adequately grounded, but I wouldn't dismiss it as nonsense. The scientific studies carried out on the effect grounding has on blood flow are at least interesting. I agree that the commercial products are a bit pointless since grounding is pretty simple to achieve for free. I have tried it very briefly by walking around barefoot in the garden and it felt pretty good. Certainly felt like a good stress reliever if nothing else.
Old 12-16-22, 10:47 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Gravel cycling has become a new golf, personally I am a non-conformist and reject all the marketing BS.. I love riding gravel roads and dirt tracks but I don't call myself a gravel cyclist., I call myself an "all terrain cyclist".
Old 12-16-22, 10:52 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Yep, we can definitely agree you are cynical. Especially if you think this is how gravel bikes came about!

My take is that a lot of people have simply lost that simple connection with the natural world in their everyday lives and maybe there are some potential negative consequences. It's a bit like taking vitamin D supplements in lieu of getting enough natural sunlight. The science is clearly limited as to the potential benefits of being adequately grounded, but I wouldn't dismiss it as nonsense. The scientific studies carried out on the effect grounding has on blood flow are at least interesting. I agree that the commercial products are a bit pointless since grounding is pretty simple to achieve for free. I have tried it very briefly by walking around barefoot in the garden and it felt pretty good. Certainly felt like a good stress reliever if nothing else.
Thank you for your candour. I am sure it will make me reconsider taking the simple pleasures in life more seriously. I suppose my next going-back adventure will be a swing, where I can practice motion forces, equilibrium and aerodynamics
Old 12-16-22, 10:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Maybe the next big trend in cycling will be bicycles that emit electric current through the cyclists body while pedaling, the marketing hype behind it will be that it's guaranteed to prolong your life, increase your speed and watts, prevent bonking, speed up recovery after a hard ride, cure all diseases and make you immune to all types of sicknesses, make you sleep better etc etc....I bet millions will jump on the marketing bandwagon.
Old 12-16-22, 11:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Gravel cycling has become a new golf
wtf?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-22, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
https://chopra.com/articles/groundin...ts-of-earthing

If it works for her that is great. It sounds a bit woo woo to me, like pyramid power, healing crystals and the like, but different strokes…. The placebo effect does have its merits.

That page contains a bunch of citations of "peer reviewed" studies in predatory journals.

As long as it's harmless, placebo effect is fine.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-22, 11:24 AM
PeteHski

https://chopra.com/articles/groundin...ts-of-earthing

If it works for her that is great. It sounds a bit woo woo to me, like pyramid power, healing crystals and the like, but different strokes…. The placebo effect does have its merits.
I wouldn't quite lump it in with those pagan type things. Static electricity is at least real and measurable. What effect it has on the human body is certainly questionable, but I wouldn't call it woo woo. I could be convinced about the affects on blood flow and clotting etc. given enough scientific evidence, although it doesn't appear to have been studied rigorously enough at this point to make any conclusion either way. I'm certainly not ordering any grounding mats, but I'm not aversed to a bit of barefoot grounding. It can feel strangely relaxing, although I haven't done it since the summer months.
Old 12-16-22, 11:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
I have done some earthing a few times while riding my MTB. I'm not a fan. I'm still healing in a few spots.
Old 12-16-22, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It's not a new concept and I'm not aware of any commercial links.

I came across this idea myself a couple of years ago, but don't actively do it. The science is pretty thin on the ground, but there is some evidence that grounding promotes a healthier cardiovascular system i.e. lower blood pressure, reduced inflammation, improved blood flow, less clotting etc. There are also few more potential subjective benefits relating to mood/depression/anxiety/sleep quality etc. What little science there is tends to be fairly positive toward the potential benefits. I'm not surprised to find pro cycling teams doing it for potential marginal gains.

Here are some quotes from the research:-

"In a small study on grounding and heart health, 10 healthy participants were grounded using patches on the palms of their hands and soles of their feet.
Blood measurements were taken before and after grounding to determine any changes in red blood cell fluidity, which plays a role in heart health. The results indicated significantly less red blood cell clumping after grounding, which suggests benefits for cardiovascular health."

"Another slightly larger study examined the role of grounding on post-exercise muscle damage. Researchers used both grounding patches and mats and measured creatine kinase, white blood cell count, and pain levels before and after grounding.
Blood work indicated that grounding reduced muscle damage and pain in participants. This suggests that grounding may influence healing abilities."

So you can see why pro cyclists might take note.
BS studies in BS journals, there's no real science there.
Seriously, "The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine"?!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-22, 12:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
I wouldn't quite lump it in with those pagan type things. Static electricity is at least real and measurable. What effect it has on the human body is certainly questionable, but I wouldn't call it woo woo. I could be convinced about the affects on blood flow and clotting etc. given enough scientific evidence, although it doesn't appear to have been studied rigorously enough at this point to make any conclusion either way. I'm certainly not ordering any grounding mats, but I'm not aversed to a bit of barefoot grounding. It can feel strangely relaxing, although I haven't done it since the summer months.
No barefoot earthing today - 32* F today.

There have been studies which have confirmed the calming effects of being out in nature. Could be related, maybe not. As a child, or as.an adult, ever lay on the grass and watch the clouds roll by? Pretty pacific.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-16-22, 12:23 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
No barefoot earthing today - 32* F today.

There have been studies which have confirmed the calming effects of being out in nature. Could be related, maybe not. As a child, or as.an adult, ever lay on the grass and watch the clouds roll by? Pretty pacific.
use to do it all the time as a kid..also almost never wore shoes in the summer..also climbed and sat in a lot of trees

if felt right

meditation could work for her as well
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 12-16-22, 12:26 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I've been doing research this morning on this topic. Here's the only worthwhile thing I could find.
Old 12-16-22, 12:29 PM
Crash2Much

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Research has proven placebos work very well.
Likes For Crash2Much:
Old 12-16-22, 12:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
use to do it all the time as a kid..also almost never wore shoes in the summer..also climbed and sat in a lot of trees

if felt right

meditation could work for her as well
Actually Flip was right on the money. Mediation can be a very good option as well and isn’t weather dependent

Old 12-16-22, 12:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm a trained scientist, but I don't pretend that science as we know it today explains everything.

Look at the way fire science is now looking at native practices similar to "controlled burns" to mitigate wildfires, just in the last 10-15 years. Or the articles on reintroducing beavers, and the benefits to flood control, water retention, and biodiversity in the last five years. Those are a far cry from the Corps of Engineers straightening and armoring (via concrete viaducts) creeks and small rivers when I was younger.​​
Sure, but that doesn't mean phlogiston was wrongly omitted from the Periodic Table.

​​​​​So my wife was fascinated to find New Zealand hospitals include a small garden with bare soil so natives (and other patients) can walk barefoot on dirt as part of their recovery. There's no evidence that it doesn't work, and thousands of years of native healing behind the practice. (She was less enthused by birds flying through open windows and down the halls, FWIW.)
It facilitates introduction of beneficial parasitic nematodes.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-16-22, 01:28 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The static charge on a human averages around 10 nano amps. This is a problem when it is shunted to ground through a circuit with a current limit that is a small fraction of that amount.

That amount of current is more a tribute to precision electronics that allow us to measure it than anything else.

Note also that the static charge on a human is dependent on the humidity level. Some manufacturing facilities have humidifying misters to help reduce static charge on people.

People who live in damp climates will have much lower static charge levels on the surface of their body. Also, washing your hands will reduce the static charge on the surface of your body.

Lastly, I did find one study done by a Chiropractic University that examined the claim that there is information transferred from the body to the earth. They found that the signal is too weak and too random to possibly contain information.

All the claims for earthing belong in one of these:
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-16-22, 01:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Gravel cycling has become a new golf, personally I am a non-conformist and reject all the marketing BS.. I love riding gravel roads and dirt tracks but I don't call myself a gravel cyclist., I call myself an "all terrain cyclist".
You forgot to remind us all that you only ride single speed bikes.

I'm very disappointed in you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-16-22, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

A fine tradition of static elecquackery:

https://museum.wkhs.com/collections/...medical-device

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-22, 01:54 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
During my career as a refrigeration tech, I was the "Earth " for 480, 240, and 120v potentials, I cannot recommend it.
Now that you mention it, it could very well cure pain.........FOREVER.
Old 12-16-22, 02:05 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am so tender footed that I don't even walk about the house barefoot. Even when I did field service work some home/business owners would ask me to take my shoes off. I just used the throw away booties and hoped they were cool with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.