Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Bike choices in Jungle Route

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Bike choices in Jungle Route

Old 03-28-23, 08:39 AM
  #1  
gthomson
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gthomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,105

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 258 Posts
Bike choices in Jungle Route

Just did the stage 4 ride of Tour of Watopia which is the jungle route that I normally avoid like the plague cause I hate that route. Once again, I chose a gravel bike figuring it would be the best option for riding over hard packed gravel paths and wooden bridges but I'm a slow learner and realized it was the wrong choice. I could see how the mtn. bike would be advantage going up hills cause Zwift could simulate 21 speeds instead of 12 but I should be faster on the flats and descents.

Why does Zwift bother offering a gravel bike when it's clearly the wrong choice riding off of the road? Based on gravel riding popularity these days you would think they would have many choices to choose from and it would be the next go to bike after choosing road.
gthomson is offline  
Old 03-28-23, 08:45 AM
  #2  
base2 
Doesn't brain good.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,566

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
Zwift offers all the bikes because all the bikes (for the most part) actually exist or have some benefit on a particular part of the map.

The mountain bike is indeed faster in the jungle section.

Maybe you hadn't noticed the broken pavement around the volcano?
__________________
I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.

Car dependency is a tax.
base2 is offline  
Old 03-28-23, 10:23 AM
  #3  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 1,115

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 330 Posts
The equipment variety is for fun, not necessarily for optimization. To me, Zwift and Golf share one commonality - when I stopped keeping score, it became more fun. There's no reason that I would have a Pinarello and a Moots and a Canyon and whatever else I've got in that "too damned hard to access" garage.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-29-23, 07:38 AM
  #4  
TennBent
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 31

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson View Post
Just did the stage 4 ride of Tour of Watopia which is the jungle route that I normally avoid like the plague cause I hate that route. Once again, I chose a gravel bike figuring it would be the best option for riding over hard packed gravel paths and wooden bridges but I'm a slow learner and realized it was the wrong choice. I could see how the mtn. bike would be advantage going up hills cause Zwift could simulate 21 speeds instead of 12 but I should be faster on the flats and descents.

Why does Zwift bother offering a gravel bike when it's clearly the wrong choice riding off of the road? Based on gravel riding popularity these days you would think they would have many choices to choose from and it would be the next go to bike after choosing road.
Welcome to the club. Like you, I typically avoid the jungle simply because I don't care for it. However, a while back, I decided to try an experiment. I purchased a gravel bike thinking it would be great for the jungle. I quickly discovered that it was only marginally better than my road bike. I then tried the Zwift mountain bike and found that there was a definite difference in speed. It does seem odd that the gravel bike is so slow. My initial feeling is that it should be at least exactly in the middle of the three or a bit more biased toward the mountain bike. I'm not sure of Zwift's intentions but it seems that since a gravel bike is based on a road bike, they have given the gravel bikes more of the road bike's traits within the game. Who knows? Zwift does some odd things sometimes and we just have to adapt. So now, if I ever do a ride that involves the jungle loop, I stop and switch over to the mountain bike out by the windmill then switch back as I'm leaving the dirt. The exception to this is when I'm just heading straight to the Alpe.

On a side note, from your description, it appears that you did the Tour of Watopia stage on your own. If you had joined one of the scheduled event runs, they automatically switch you from your road bike to the mountain bike, on the fly, as you hit the dirt and then switch back as you exit. It makes things much easier.
TennBent is offline  
Likes For TennBent:
Old 03-29-23, 08:04 AM
  #5  
BTinNYC
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 893

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 412 Posts
Keyboard shortcut to garage: T
BTinNYC is offline  
Old 03-29-23, 03:30 PM
  #6  
gthomson
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gthomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,105

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent View Post

On a side note, from your description, it appears that you did the Tour of Watopia stage on your own. If you had joined one of the scheduled event runs, they automatically switch you from your road bike to the mountain bike, on the fly, as you hit the dirt and then switch back as you exit. It makes things much easier.
It was in a group ride so that's interesting you say that. Some conspiracy by Zwift to keep me from winning? ha ha no chance of that ever happening anyway. Normally I'm not much of a bike switcher and don't really care if I ride a bit of gravel on my Pinarello Dogma F8 but you really feel it doing the jungle route so I changed my bike before I started the ride. I always switch to first person POV when doing group rides so can't say I actually saw the bike I was riding but will see if I have any pic's on my Strava post. If I was on a mountain bike then it was just the usual struggles when I ride and can't blame it on the bike at all
gthomson is offline  
Old 03-31-23, 03:13 AM
  #7  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 5,404
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson View Post
Just did the stage 4 ride of Tour of Watopia which is the jungle route that I normally avoid like the plague cause I hate that route. Once again, I chose a gravel bike figuring it would be the best option for riding over hard packed gravel paths and wooden bridges but I'm a slow learner and realized it was the wrong choice. I could see how the mtn. bike would be advantage going up hills cause Zwift could simulate 21 speeds instead of 12 but I should be faster on the flats and descents.

Why does Zwift bother offering a gravel bike when it's clearly the wrong choice riding off of the road? Based on gravel riding popularity these days you would think they would have many choices to choose from and it would be the next go to bike after choosing road.
When I did ToW stage 4 it automatically switched my road bike to a mountain bike for the relevant sectors. Did this not happen for you?
PeteHski is offline  
Old 03-31-23, 07:19 AM
  #8  
gthomson
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gthomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,105

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
When I did ToW stage 4 it automatically switched my road bike to a mountain bike for the relevant sectors. Did this not happen for you?
Being a sucker for punishment, I did it a second time last night but chose the standard stage which was longer and included the KOM. That really hurt but did confirm that it automatically switched me to the mountain bike. No excuses now, I'm just slow.
gthomson is offline  
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-31-23, 11:12 AM
  #9  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 2,060 Posts
I thought the gravel bike was marginally faster. But it could just be cognitive bias
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-31-23, 04:20 PM
  #10  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 5,404
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I thought the gravel bike was marginally faster. But it could just be cognitive bias
Iím surprised you can tell any difference. Or did you do controlled constant power runs over the same segment with various bikes and no drafting?
PeteHski is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 09:14 AM
  #11  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,284

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4502 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 903 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Zwift offers all the bikes because all the bikes (for the most part) actually exist or have some benefit on a particular part of the map.

The mountain bike is indeed faster in the jungle section.

Maybe you hadn't noticed the broken pavement around the volcano?
A useful website for those unfamiliar with its existence
https://zwifterbikes.web.app/
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 09:34 AM
  #12  
base2 
Doesn't brain good.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,566

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
A useful website for those unfamiliar with its existence
https://zwifterbikes.web.app/
Hey! That's cool.
Thanks!
__________________
I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.

Car dependency is a tax.
base2 is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 11:17 AM
  #13  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 2,060 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
I’m surprised you can tell any difference. Or did you do controlled constant power runs over the same segment with various bikes and no drafting?
You don't know me very well if you think I might have done controlled experiments. But I felt less bogged down on the gravel bike. The Crr numbers for various wheels is pretty interesting. https://zwiftinsider.com/crr/

What's interesting about that article is that you are almost always better off on a road bike.
unterhausen is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.