Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tricycle vs Bicycle for the elderly

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tricycle vs Bicycle for the elderly

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 08:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
At least somebody's keeping this thread on track. A trike is what she wants; might be an uneducated guess by her, but balance and stability on 2 wheels obviously doesn't appeal. Much of the time it doesn't appeal to me either. Now, I see a lady riding a trike regularly, and looks like she enjoys it hugely. I fancied the idea myself; still do, to bring back the childish fun I once had when I was about 4.
I discovered you could go round corners on two wheels at that age.without falling off.
Not suggesting your ma would do this for one moment (don't put the idea in her head, for goodness sake) but one with a nice basket could look good.and get her about in a new way. She'd work out quickly the stuff concerning corners, cambers etc.
These trikes aren't all expensive, nor are they light, but they're low geared to accommodate this.
I wish her well in her choice.
I think she passed in 2014.
Old 03-19-23, 05:28 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Wow, I hate it whenI get sucked into posting to these zombie threads. Why oh why can't they be locked or at least prominently somehow flagged as old when replied to. Someone can always link to or refer to old threads so there is no need to revive them with very few rare exceptions, Like the rare ones where the OP reported back years later with some kind of long term follow up.
Old 03-20-23, 05:02 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Unfortunately it happens in other forums too. It does to check these things!
Old 03-28-23, 09:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
My mother wants to get a tricycle (upright not recumbent). I thought a light weight bike with training wheels might give her the stability she wants in a faster lighter more maneuverable bike. One problem I can see is training wheels have to be set fairly high off the ground to permit turning as you have lean to turn a bicycle.

Any thoughts on a bicycle with training wheels for the elderly. Is it a bad idea?

Any experience with a tricycle, they seem to be very heavy and difficult to store, but I have never owned one.
Is she totally balance-deprived, or is she just unsteady and slow and indecisive about getting her feet down?

Trikes are bulky and heavy and they have stability issues of their own, primarily when side-hilling. That would encountered while crossing sloping driveways. Also, taller equals more unstable, which is why recumbent trikes are popular.

There is a spring loaded training wheel set for adult bikes. I installed one for a physically challenged young man. He had tried several alternatives, but he was determined to ride and this was his last resort. Presumably, they worked for him, but I'd only recommend them in special circumstances.

I had one customer, an older gent who'd had a stroke, who was convinced he needed a trike so he could keep riding with his wife. After talking with him and his wife about his balance deficit, they explained that it wasn't so much about loss of balance as just feeling precarious and stretched out. I showed him an Electra Townie with a step-through frame, set the saddle a little lower, and sent him on a test ride. He came back with a big smile and bought the bike. He was happy that should he begin to feel unsteady he could get either or both feet solidly on the ground quickly. Sometimes it's a matter of just feeling more comfortable, confident, and closer to the ground.
Old 03-30-23, 09:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Is she totally balance-deprived, or is she just unsteady and slow and indecisive about getting her feet down?
It's a 13 year old thread.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-30-23, 09:46 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's a 13 year old thread.
Oops. I haven't been around here as much so I haven't been monitoring my radar. Thanks for reminding me.
Likes For oldbobcat: