Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trending Faster is Fun

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trending Faster is Fun

Old 02-04-23, 05:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Trending Faster is Fun

One of my common routes over the years is a 15 mile out and back with a little climbing. I remember usually doing it in about an hour because I would tell my wife that I'd be back in an hour and I was. But the last few years it was taking me 1:10, 1:15 or more. Today, I pushed it a little to see if I could get back in an hour and I did it. I recently upgraded from my 11 year old Free Strava to a subscription and can see my old rides again. Ten years ago was the last time before today that I did this route in 58 minutes and my average heart rate for the ride is the same.

This news is worth the subscription for me. If you are a STRAVA user without a prescription and you get that free two months offer, I highly recommend you sign up for it if you are like me and question your current capacity for training/fitness.
Old 02-04-23, 07:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
One of my common routes over the years is a 15 mile out and back with a little climbing. I remember usually doing it in about an hour because I would tell my wife that I'd be back in an hour and I was. But the last few years it was taking me 1:10, 1:15 or more. Today, I pushed it a little to see if I could get back in an hour and I did it. I recently upgraded from my 11 year old Free Strava to a subscription and can see my old rides again. Ten years ago was the last time before today that I did this route in 58 minutes and my average heart rate for the ride is the same.

This news is worth the subscription for me. If you are a STRAVA user without a prescription and you get that free two months offer, I highly recommend you sign up for it if you are like me and question your current capacity for training/fitness.
congrats on the effort/results

STRAVA = but that's for me and to each their own. Due to many health issues, pushing it and viewing results on STRAVA is not gonna happen any longer so it was time to rethink my riding.

2 rides today --
1st at night - https://www.strava.com/activities/8501712604
2nd in day - https://www.strava.com/activities/8504995806

a few weeks ago -
https://www.strava.com/activities/8416168849
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 02-04-23, 08:55 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I can look at my rides, heart rate, VO2 max, cadence, etc all in Garmin Connect. $0
Old 02-04-23, 11:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I can look at my rides, heart rate, VO2 max, cadence, etc all in Garmin Connect. $0
bet your garmin unit that collects the data to Connect wasn’t free. I know my Garmin Edge 830 certainly wasn’t free. Just like the cadence, HRM and speed sensors weren’t free either. But yes, Connect was ‘free’.

However; I did buy two additional sets of Garmin compatible sensors, including HRM, for less than one quarter of the price on AliExpress - shipping included, and they all connect and work great.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-04-23 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 07:01 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by rsbob
bet your garmin unit that collects the data to Connect wasn’t free. I know my Garmin Edge 830 certainly wasn’t free. Just like the cadence, HRM and speed sensors weren’t free either. But yes, Connect was ‘free’.

However; I did buy two additional sets of Garmin compatible sensors, including HRM, for less than one quarter of the price on AliExpress - shipping included, and they all connect and work great.
Well, how does Strava collect the data? You need a GPS unit of some sort, and if you want heartrate, cadence, etc, you need those sensors as well. Strava doesn't magically pull those numbers out of thin air. I had Strava and dumped it. I don't get your point. Or maybe you don't have one.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-05-23, 08:36 AM
Classtime 

If all my rides over the last 11 years were on Connect, I’d probably be satisfied too. Before subscriptions, Strava let me access my entire set of data which was collected via my iPhone. Segment data was collected also with no effort on my part. I’m only suggesting a subscription if all your historical rides are behind the paywall and you are curious where you stand compared to your old younger self.

Old 02-05-23, 09:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Does it allow you to compare rides side by side or do you have to manually trawl through all your past data? I have both Strava and Garmin Connect, but don’t really use the latter very much. Strava has a much better interface for casual performance tracking over the same route.
Old 02-05-23, 09:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Well, how does Strava collect the data? You need a GPS unit of some sort, and if you want heartrate, cadence, etc, you need those sensors as well. Strava doesn't magically pull those numbers out of thin air. I had Strava and dumped it. I don't get your point. Or maybe you don't have one.
Thanks for asking. I ALWAYS carry my mobile phone in case of emergency or if I need to look at a map. Carrying a phone makes my wife feel better and if I do need 911, it’s handy. I just downloaded the Strava app to the phone.

Strava, even the free version, runs off the phone and you can wear a HRM which will collect the data and send to your phone via Bluetooth.

Don’t know about a phone and cadence though. There are probably some cadence sensors which may transmit to an app - maybe your Garmin does that.
My Garmin head unit collects all the data, and sends it to Strava where it is far easier to review than through the Garmin unit. I like stats, goals, challenges and seeing where others ride so I can use their routes. But different strokes and all that. Happy cycling.

Old 02-05-23, 10:41 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Does it allow you to compare rides side by side or do you have to manually trawl through all your past data? I have both Strava and Garmin Connect, but don’t really use the latter very much. Strava has a much better interface for casual performance tracking over the same route.
No, you would have to manually look at rides over the same route. For me, that's not really that important. I'm a cardiac patient, so I tend to track things like my average and maximum HR over a period of time. Connect with do that for me.
Old 02-05-23, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been using Strava for many years, subscription. It's interesting and helpful. I like it. Costs me $.22/day. I can handle it even on fixed income. If one is riding for sport, I rather don't see what the issue is. I've also been a RWGPS subscriber since, I don't know, they got started? I'm happy to pay for services which make my sporting life easier and/or more fun.
Old 02-05-23, 11:31 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Personally, I have embraced the "slower is fun" chain of thought. I call my recent changes in cycling "MY return to bike sanity". There have been a lot of changes. Other than just plain riding, comfort has become my main priority, with reducing the dollars spent on cycling being a close second. I have no need of Strava or any other tracker. I have basic bike computers mounted, but they are just for quick reference to miles, time on bike, and time of day.

Last edited by delbiker1; 02-05-23 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-05-23, 12:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
One of my common routes over the years is a 15 mile out and back with a little climbing. I remember usually doing it in about an hour because I would tell my wife that I'd be back in an hour and I was. But the last few years it was taking me 1:10, 1:15 or more. Today, I pushed it a little to see if I could get back in an hour and I did it. I recently upgraded from my 11 year old Free Strava to a subscription and can see my old rides again.
You also can create private segments for your regular routes, and segments show you even more than a similar ride comparison. You can make your segments as long or as short as you like. The segment Leaderboard table shows speed, heart rate, and power for each ride.

Here's a segment I ride occasionally:

I just rode it a few days ago and posted my best time. But does that mean I'm more fit than last year, or did I simply try harder?

The answer lies in the Power-to-Heart Rate ratio (Pw:HR). Simply divide the segment's power by heart rate. My recent ride's Pw:HR was 1.24, while last year's fastest ride's Pw:HR was only 1.10.

So, Pw:HR suggests my fitness improved over last July, which makes me doubly happy. One, because better is, well, better. Two, because it's only February.

Another reason I like the Pw:HR reading: it means I don't have to bust a gut trying to set a PR every ride, just to see if my fitness level is improving.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-05-23, 12:48 PM
Classtime 

Thanks for asking. I ALWAYS carry my mobile phone in case of emergency…

…Strava, even the free version, runs off the phone and you can wear a HRM which will collect the data and send to your phone via Bluetooth.Happy cycling.
A while back, Strava stopped supporting HR sensors and I had to borrow my kids Garmin. Did Strava start again?
Old 02-05-23, 06:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

A while back, Strava stopped supporting HR sensors and I had to borrow my kids Garmin. Did Strava start again?
Here you go: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...the-Strava-app

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-23, 06:31 PM
Classtime 

Fantastic. I was disappointed when they stopped the HR monitor thing and then went to a Wahoo app to collect data and relay it to Strava.
Old 02-05-23, 08:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have way too many apps. I’ve had TrainingPeaks subscription going back at least 10 years, a paid Strava subscription, Garmin Connect, and I’m experimenting with intervals.icu to see if I can use that to replace TrainingPeaks.
Old 02-06-23, 10:30 AM
PeteHski

No, you would have to manually look at rides over the same route. For me, that's not really that important. I'm a cardiac patient, so I tend to track things like my average and maximum HR over a period of time. Connect with do that for me.
I thought not, which is why I use Strava a lot more than Garmin Connect, even though I use a Garmin Edge 530. Funnily enough all my friends use Strava too for their main ride logging. Connect has a few interesting features, but it's quite different to Strava and lacks a lot of Strava's key functionality - like matched ride comparisons.
Old 02-06-23, 12:37 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The answer lies in the Power-to-Heart Rate ratio (Pw:HR). Simply divide the segment's power by heart rate. My recent ride's Pw:HR was 1.24, while last year's fastest ride's Pw:HR was only 1.10.
HR is somewhat dynamic in responding to temperature, power output and heat dissipation. Here you have a similar segment so I imagine that helps with a comparison. But should we expect linearity over a range of HRs and if so, what range?

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 02-06-23 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 07:02 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ofajen
HR is somewhat dynamic in responding to temperature, power output and heat dissipation. Here you have a similar segment so I imagine that helps with a comparison. But should we expect linearity over a range of HRs and if so, what range?

Otto
I find HR too variable to make absolute comparisons. Sometimes a relatively low HR can simply mean you are fatigued, even if your power appears to be equal. The clue there is your perceived effort for the ride.
Old 02-06-23, 07:09 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Fast can be fun, but I’ve always been a slow-ish rider. When I feel like going fast, I ride a fast bike. I don’t record my speed or time, only my distance. I only use Strava so my family can track me - I’m an old guy who usually rides alone.

When I started living alone, my daughter asked me to turn on Find My, “so we know where to find the body”. 😄
Old 02-06-23, 10:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts

Otto
No. However watching HR w/r to power results for repetitions of the same route on different days can be a learning experience if it's not windy.
Old 02-07-23, 02:05 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
But should we expect [power] linearity over a range of HRs and if so, what range?
Good question, I have no idea what the answer is. I just go with “increasing Pw:HR number over time indicates improving fitness”.

The folks at Cycling Analytics have a cool way to chart power and heart rate for a ride. The example data fall roughly (very roughly) on a linear trend.

Old 02-08-23, 12:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Thanks for asking. I ALWAYS carry my mobile phone in case of emergency or if I need to look at a map.
To be fair, phones are not $0 either. I probably wouldn't have one if it wasn't supplied by my office.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-09-23, 09:31 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Being 65, I still get a kick out of trending faster. That’s always a good sign. Never have I heard someone say “oh crap I’m getting faster!”. Strava is a useful tool though is getting more exaggerated by the season. But I still like to compare myself with others in a positive manner.
Likes For OldsCOOL: