Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Advise on custom Ti frame

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 02-07-23, 11:07 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts

Looking into a custom Ti frame, I already have a steel one.
I have some questions regarding the head tube size and fork.
The options are 44mm and 34mm diameter head tube.
44mm allows internal headset and tapered fork.
34mm would use external cup headset.
In general I like the look of smaller tubes better and I am not sure I would need or benefit from a tapered fork, looking at using a Ritchey WCS fork which is a straight 1-1/8" fork so I am leaning towards a 34mm head tube.
I weigh 140 lbs. I am 65 years old and do not race, I usually ride at a moderate pace but do like to climb hills.
Thanks for any input.
Old 02-07-23, 11:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I would put steerer and headtube dimensions fairly far down the list of what's important in a custom frame. For me, #1 - the builder, the bikes he favors building, and are we on the same page? #2 (closely related to #1) - the bike fit. #3 - do the details he prefers to build with work for me? I put head tube /steerer in this category. A lot of excellent bikes have been built around all the standards. (Look at all the great bikes built around 1" standard steerers and steel forks over the past century.)

Different builders vary a lot in how comfortable they are working outside their "normal" practices. Some will say "I do it this way. Go to someone else if you want different." Others view the same request as a challenge they love taking on.
Old 02-07-23, 12:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I don't like the looks of 44mm straight head tubes, but I think tapered head tubes look okay. I don't know if there are options other than Paragon for tapered Ti head tubes. Theirs are rather expensive. If I were buying a Ti bike, I think that's the way I would go anyway. Selection of tapered forks is much better than straight steerer forks.
Old 02-07-23, 02:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I would put steerer and headtube dimensions fairly far down the list of what's important in a custom frame. For me, #1 - the builder, the bikes he favors building, and are we on the same page? #2 (closely related to #1) - the bike fit. #3 - do the details he prefers to build with work for me? I put head tube /steerer in this category. A lot of excellent bikes have been built around all the standards. (Look at all the great bikes built around 1" standard steerers and steel forks over the past century.)

Different builders vary a lot in how comfortable they are working outside their "normal" practices. Some will say "I do it this way. Go to someone else if you want different." Others view the same request as a challenge they love taking on.
I very much like this list. But once we get to the actual frame I'll say that the fork has more impart than many will give credit for. The steerer is the only tube that has only one end joined to the rest of the structure. Were i a big young, strong bodied rider who was pretty competitive (at least against myself) I would seek a bigger than 1.125" steerer, same for a tandem. But I, too, am a small and older guy at 150lbs who spins and like the magic carpet ride as opposed to the "why bother with air in your tires" stiff a ride that a huge steerer diameter feels like (to me).

I also don't like the mix of huge headtubes and skinny blades. Andy